Is it better to buy a ZTEC or PZEV? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 11:14 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 343
What I Drive: 02' Silver SVT RIP 2007

Points 4,387, Level 42
Points: 4,387, Level: 42 Points: 4,387, Level: 42 Points: 4,387, Level: 42
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 lunarc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Is it better to buy a ZTEC or PZEV?

After checking through both forums i am noticing that the ZTEC has a lot more stuff and seems to be easier to work on. Is there any advantage to buying the PZEV? From what i have seen there are very few aftermarket items available (i am assuming more to come), any input you guys have would be awesome. I am planning on buying a ZX3 within a month or so and am wondering if buying a new PZEV or used ZTEC.
thanks!

2002 SVT Focus #1848
---------------------------
New ride E36 DINAN BMW, Dinan CAI, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Stg1 Suspension, Dinan Stg1 Chip
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 11:24 AM   #2
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
more aftermarket following is likely for the PZEV since it is relatively new. The PZEV does have the advantage of being more powerful stock, approximately 150hp and 150 ft-lbs of torque as compared to 130 for the zetec. As you said though the obvious advantage for the Zetec is the strong aftermarket following. I've seen the PZEV and it looks like an engine gone all wrong in my opinion, the following will very much depend on the ease of a manufacturing aftermarket products for it. All in all, it depends on your personal wants, if you want something to work on, the Zetec is the current way to go, the PZEV however, has more bang right out of the box. Have fun with either one, it's still a Focus
Old 10-28-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 250
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black zx3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 dank Good Standing Member
pzev baby
Old 10-28-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
So far the PZEV seems to be fairly reliable and the parts are starting to come in. So if you are a new buyer, get the PZEV.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
OMGVTAK!

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '13 Taffeta White Civic Si Sedan

Points 189,580, Level 100
Points: 189,580, Level: 100 Points: 189,580, Level: 100 Points: 189,580, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Zetec has more aftermarket parts but the PZEV is starting to get a some. Give it time and there will be a wider range for it. I think that you should go with the PZEV (if your buying new) simply because it has more horsepower stock

If you have a theme idea for Ride of the Month or any other suggestions, please feel free to PM me!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1096
What I Drive: 2000 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 My2KFocus Good Standing Member
The PZEV is cool because it does have more HP(144) than the Zetec(130) but the PZEV has a long way to go before it can be modded.

First of all, PZEV = Pathetic Zetec Engineered Vehical
Ford could of done better but they didn't......................

Some hurdles that must be overcome to mod the PZEV.
1. The ECU uses a CANBUS protocol. This is different than the Zetec's. No ECU chip or stand alone ECU has yet to be developed or released.
2. The intake is not user servicable. Ford has made it very tough to get around the intake restriction required for the Zero emission engine.
3. The PZEV is heavier than a Zetec, thus your car weighs more.
4. Ford is already thinking about discontinuing the PZEV 2.3L with a PZEV 2.0L. This means that the 2.3L might of been a temporary thing until they got the 2.0L up to PZEV standard.
5. Engine is installed 180 degrees with the intake at the front of the car. This is not a bad thing but Ford did not make any compensation or adjustments to the chassis to accomodate the way the engine torques when installed in this manner.

If you can, wait until Ford releases a 3rd generation of the PZEV so ALL the bugs from the PZEV have been worked out. It's only been out for a year so how can anyone say that it's more reliable is a mystery to me........
Old 10-28-2003, 12:07 PM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,130, Level 67
Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally posted by My2KFocus
[B]
1. The ECU uses a CANBUS protocol. This is different than the Zetec's. No ECU chip or stand alone ECU has yet to be developed or released.
True, but its being worked on.

Quote:
2. The intake is not user servicable. Ford has made it very tough to get around the intake restriction required for the Zero emission engine.
Not serviceable as in the average owner doesn't have to change the filter until 100,000 miles. (True, its done by a Ford service technician) Its pleanty serviceable to me, since I don't live in CA.

Quote:
Incorrect. While the gas tank is metal instead of plastic, it doesn't weight much more than the plastic tank. Plus, the engine is an all aluminum block, which is 40 pounds lighter than the iron block Zetec.

Quote:
4. Ford is already thinking about discontinuing the PZEV 2.3L with a PZEV 2.0L. This means that the 2.3L might of been a temporary thing until they got the 2.0L up to PZEV standard.
The only difference between the 2.0 and the 2.3 should be the cylinder sleeves, the pistons, and possiblely the camshafts.

Quote:
5. Engine is installed 180 degrees with the intake at the front of the car. This is not a bad thing but Ford did not make any compensation or adjustments to the chassis to accomodate the way the engine torques when installed in this manner.
And this means? The only thing I see this affecting is a turbo placement would have to well thought through.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1096
What I Drive: 2000 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 My2KFocus Good Standing Member
So, if Ford switches the PZEV to the 2.0L, then why would a manufacturer cater/build mods for a handfull of people who have 2.3L PZEV ?
Doesn't sound like a good business decision to me.
Just like the apple computer, the PZEV is good and may be better but no one really wants it because there aren't as much after market parts and it's a pain to upgrade.

Buy what you want but you've been warned...
Old 10-28-2003, 12:19 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 339
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST Oxford White

FF Reputation: 1 guerro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by My2KFocus
The PZEV is cool because it does have more HP(144) than the Zetec(130) but the PZEV has a long way to go before it can be modded.

First of all, PZEV = Pathetic Zetec Engineered Vehical
Ford could of done better but they didn't......................

Some hurdles that must be overcome to mod the PZEV.

If you can, wait until Ford releases a 3rd generation of the PZEV so ALL the bugs from the PZEV have been worked out. It's only been out for a year so how can anyone say that it's more reliable is a mystery to me........
What bugs are you talking about ? ? The Duratec 2.3 is going to be around for a long time. The PZEV version may be switched to a 2.0 L but the 2.3 is going to stay. And you can say a lot about a car in one year. Lots of people have well over 30k on their PZEV so far without complaints. Nobody said it was "more" reliable. Hotfocus said it "seems to be fairly reliable". Oh yeah, and the numbers for the PZEV are 148HP and 152TQ
Old 10-28-2003, 12:21 PM   #10
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
well egz what he means by the chassis change with engine torquing refers to the balance of the car. It may or may not be affected by the engine being mounted differently. The engine block is all aluminum, but I'd like to see the place where you got the stats for the weight. Not saying I don't believe you, but I'm curious. I also think that aftermarket parts makers are going to have a much more difficult time working with the PZEV base. Aesthetically, it's....less than pleasing to look at, and the high level of engine restrictions will make any type of engine modification more difficult due to the inherent nature of the Zero emissions engineering that when into it. I'm not saying that the PZEV isn't a good engine, I'm just saying that it might possibly not get the aftermarket following that the Zetec already has. It is difficult to judge. I'd also wait on the PZEV if I could, you should never purchase anything in its first model year, WAYYYYYY too many bugs to work out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.