Upshift light, and some other stuff - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 09:41 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1298
What I Drive: 03' ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 eggyolk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Upshift light, and some other stuff

Hello all,

I'm fairly new here, just bought a '03 ZX3, eggyolk yellow .

This is a very well designed car, especially the PZEV engine... after I stuck 1k miles on it I took it to some back highways and into highway 1 here in Cali... man that thing moves, scared the wife half to death... she was video taping when we could get people to pull over for us to do some speedy drivin'. I'll see what I can do about hosting the video in the near future... if you don't mind someone screaming 'oh shit oh shit' half the time.

Anyway... to my point.

The upshift light has to be the only thing I hate about this car and I want it GONE. Is there an easy way to disable this? Or am I going to need to take the bulb out of the instrument panel somehow?

Also, I ordered some Eibach springs that are going to take it down about 1.5 inches, does anyone have these springs on the stock shocks that can tell me their experience? And does anyone have any tips before I start taking apart my suspension this weekend..? The back looks easy enough because the springs are indpendent of the shocks and there are less things to take off, but is there anything special about the front I should know about? I've done this before but on a CRX and I have some mechanical know-how (replaced a couple transmissions) but I just like a heads up when I can get it.

We were actually planning on doing a photographed how-to since we will be taking our time, and I couldn't find one anywhere on the Internet.

Well, that's all I've got for now, if anyone has any info on that upshift light I'd sure like an easy way to disable it.

Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Well, for the upshift light, you have two options. Remove the bulb or cover it with electrical tape. (or the third option, the cheapest, is to just ignore it. ;) )

Don't you just love the PZEV? Man, its one sweet engine. Glad I got mine.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:02 PM   #3
Focus Addict

I can't ignore it, stupid thing....

It doesn't even make any sense half the time, I'm in 4th gear cruising at 43mph and if I put barely any preassure on the gas it comes on, I understand what it's trying to do, but I just don't think 5th gear is a great place to be under 50 or so... the fuel efficiency has to be even less than in 4th because of the lower RPMs
Draxas race header
Old 10-28-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1096
What I Drive: 2000 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 My2KFocus Good Standing Member
If you let off the gas and then give gas again, then it resets the shifter light to tell you, you need to shift to the next higher gear.
I even experimented with the shift light and it had me shift all the way up to 5th gear when I was only doing 25mph.

Ya, the light is lame and it would be nice if a fuse or something turned it off.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
Focus? What Focus?

Fan#: 388
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

FF Reputation: 1 dave30 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by eggyolk
the fuel efficiency has to be even less than in 4th because of the lower RPMs
wouldn't lower rpm = less gas burned? each time the cylinder fires, gas is burned, so to to my thinking, you are gonna use less gas cruisin at , say, 3k, than 4k....
Old 10-28-2003, 12:58 PM   #6

Fan#: 372
What I Drive: '03 ZX3 PZEV 5-spd Twilight Blue; '97 F-250 4x4 w/ 351 V8 & AT

FF Reputation: 1 soffiler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
wouldn't lower rpm = less gas burned? each time the cylinder fires, gas is burned, so to to my thinking, you are gonna use less gas cruisin at , say, 3k, than 4k....
While you are actually correct, your logic isn't. It ain't that simple.

It takes a fixed amount of HP to cruise at a given speed on flat terrain. (If you want some numbers for example, I can make some up. How about 10HP to go 60mph). Whether you are in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear makes no difference - the car needs 10HP, period, to push the air aside and to overcome driveline friction (but it's, oh, 80-90% wind resistance at this speed).

Fuel + air = HP, so, it seems at first glance that it should not matter what gear you are in. We need 10HP, so put in enough fuel and air to make 10HP and you're done. Ummm, nope, not yet.

It's time to introduce another consumer of HP - internal engine friction, which happens to be rather significant. The higher the RPM, the higher the internal engine friction. Therefore, it is almost always most economical to use the lowest RPM possible (without lugging the engine).
Old 10-28-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
It depends on the slope of the road and driving conditions.

Like if you need to make throttle adjustments periodically, like in traffic doing 40mph, you are going to get poor mpg because you are actually using more gas to accelerate the car in 5th than you would in 4th.

You can be flooring the pedal in 5th at 25mph and use the same amount of gas you would use in 2nd gear, the differance being that you would use more gas in 5th because of the time it took for you to get to your desired speed.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:21 AM   #8
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
to disable the shift light look to the how-to section of www.myfordfocus.com and see what you come up with.

Gthang
Old 11-04-2003, 10:54 AM   #9
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally posted by gthang
to disable the shift light look to the how-to section of www.myfordfocus.com and see what you come up with.

Gthang
Didn't see any How To about shift-light removal on myfordfocus

Can you provide a direct link to the How To section that shows the shift-light removal/disabling ?

thanks,
Old 11-04-2003, 11:12 AM   #10
NY's Most Wanted

Fan#: 102
What I Drive: DUH!

FF Reputation: 5 gthang Good Standing Member
It used to be there

Anyway, i think you just go under the dash; there's a red switch. that's the clutch shift light mechanism. now, i don't remember how to remove it, but i believe the gas pedal touches it, and activates the shift light, or something; just loosen the switch from the dash and use zip ties to hold it someplace where it's not in the way.

Sorry i couldn't be anymore helpful.

Gthang

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.