Check engine light - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21
What I Drive: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Points 6,549, Level 52
Points: 6,549, Level: 52 Points: 6,549, Level: 52 Points: 6,549, Level: 52
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 myfirstfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Check engine light

Hi all...
I am here yet again because something is wrong with my car.
For a couple of days now my car has been hesitating at around 40 mph. If you go slower than that...it's fine....if you go faster than that....its fine. Well today, on my way to school, my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership and they told me that a sensor was probabley out and they couldnt get to it until Wed. at 1pm. My questions are:

1- is it going to hurt my car because I am driving it and it is hesitating?
2-my oil change a little over due, by about 400 miles, and could this cause the light to come on?
3-What are the chances that it is related to, for those of you who know, the problem with the gas in the oil?

I will dig through the archived post and post the story of what happend earlier for those who were not around when this drama took place.

Any help is very much appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21
What I Drive: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Points 6,549, Level 52
Points: 6,549, Level: 52 Points: 6,549, Level: 52 Points: 6,549, Level: 52
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 myfirstfocus Good Standing Member
Ok, here is the previous story....Sorry it is so long.

Posted - 02/27/2003 : 6:08:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok this is a long story please forgive me.

I got off of work this morning and went out to start my car. Well when I went to start my car, it had power but it would not turn over. So I called the Ford dealership where I bought it and told them what was going on and they gave me this 800 number to call to have my car towed (I have a warrenty of course and it should be covered). So I call this number and they tell me that the warrenty will only pay $80 for towing and of course I go ahead and tow it to my ford dealership (This is not the dealership that I bought the car from). So we get to the ford dealership and they said they were looking at it at the moment that they did not know anything yet. So I called my dad to pick me up because they would not give me a loaner car, which chapped my ass of course. When my dad got there the ford dealership said that the car was running but no well and they were going to have to do some more testing to see what was wrong with it (it was running because I had to go get stuff out of my car and it was running at that time). They said that so far the spark plugs were fouled up. Well around 3pm (it was taken there at 11 am) nobody has called yet to give me the heads up. My dad comes and gets me and we go to the dealership. They said that my inertia switch had been triggered and there was gas in my oil and my fuel injectors were messed up and they had been cleaned. They said that I had flooded my car when I tried to turn it on. They asked me if I had hit a bump or something and I told them no. They said that it takes a big bump to set the switch off and if I had set it off I would know it. I know for a fact that I did not hit a bump that big and if I would have I am sure that I would be the first to know. The total of the bill was over $300. Now correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the inertia switch, when triggered, turn off the gas to the fuel pump or what ever so that you dont get gas to the engine? My father told them that he wants to see how to reset the inertia switch so we could fix the problem before it got this far next time. The dealership then said that it is a good thing that I did not reset the switch because it would have done major damage if I would have tried to start it and that he has seen them blow oil pans off. So he showed my dad where it was and how to reset it and hit the side panel where it was and you could here the switch triggering. Now keep in mind that he told me that it would take a big bump to set it off and here he is hitting it with the palm of his hand and setting it off.

What I want to know is:
If the inertia switch was tripped and all those bad things could happen when I started it, if I had reset it, why was the car running when I left?

If the inertia switch shuts off gas flow, how could it have been flooded to the point that it was?

Is it possible that when I had it towed that the bumps in the ride to the dealership (very rough ride) could have set the inertia switch off and they messed up my car in the first place?

Personally, I think that the whole problem was with the starter to begin with and I do not feel that they had fixed anything but they messed up.

Sorry it is so long....PLEASE HELP SOMEONE
Old 10-24-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
My Check Engine light came on my car when I started using cheap gas(Gasohol).
In Washington, places like Arco or 7-11 sell these types of gas and they are cheaper in price because they have alcohol in the gas. There is usually a sticker on the pump that states that the gas contains 10% of something other than gas.
I got the Check Engine light to go off by putting 4 tanks of Chevon gas in my car.
As far as driving your car for a few days with the Check Engine Light on, it should be safe but U may want to ask the dealer. Did the dealer connect the car to the computer to verify what was causing the Check Engine light to come on or does he have a hunch what is causing the problem ?
Old 10-24-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
In Washington, places like Arco or 7-11 sell these types of gas and they are cheaper in price because they have alcohol in the gas

7-11 gas is citgo gas and is fine (no alcohol).. but stear FAR away from arco or other gas that has alcohol in it.

Oops.. and also, a late oil change has no effect on the engine check light... like, how is the computer to know when you changed the oil? It won't hurt your car to drive it untill you get to the dealer. Just a pain in the butt when it isn't running right
ST crew #18
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2003, 08:00 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 984
What I Drive: 2 built Honda Civics/pearl white-SHOW & graphite grey-GO/Focus ZX3 daily driver

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnThis Good Standing Member
It's not due to not changing your oil, especially only 400 miles over. After 3000 miles of driving is it "recommended", so don't worry about that. Seems to me it's something faulty in the electrical system. Best advice, just wait to see what the dealer has to say. Drive it all ya want until your appointment, but just make sure you have enough oil in the tank. If a little low, then just add a little more oil, or better yet, go ahead and change it. Can't hurt. Let us know what it was...
Old 10-24-2003, 08:21 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 715
What I Drive: 02 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 inline_engine_lover Good Standing Member
i usually dont even change mine to every 5000 anyway.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1096
What I Drive: 2000 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 My2KFocus Good Standing Member
Your suppose to change your oil ?

I thought that after Ford released the Contour that oil changes aren't required for the first 100 thousand miles on all their cars...

I have 85K on my car and haven't changed the oil since I bought the car new.
The oil looks thick and black like tar when I peridocally check it to make sure it's not low.
This tells me the oil is dirty but if it still moves on the oil dipstick, then it's still good
I'll wait til I hit 100K before I change my oil....

Old 10-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Of course you ARE kidding aren't you My2Kfocus? Please tell me you are kidding?
ST crew #18
Old 10-25-2003, 03:33 AM   #9
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
new problem sounds like an 02 sensor or somthing, i have the same thing and so do others, i dont bother with it, dont really care theres so much else going on w/ this car, old problem sounds like dealer needs to take a 1/4" socket w/ am extension, and unscrew his head from his ass
Old 10-25-2003, 09:07 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1298
What I Drive: 03' ZX3 2.3

FF Reputation: 1 eggyolk Good Standing Member
Good work My2kFoucs,

The blacker the oil, the better.

I have a friend who is even smarter, he just changes the oil filter every once and a while because that's what cleans the oil out.
Draxas race header

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.