what do you guys think about this situation - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52919
What I Drive: 2003 While LX Sedan

FF Reputation: -11 zlaja Needs To Improve
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
what do you guys think about this situation

I got rear-ended a few days ago. Everything works out fine, as far as insurance. The other driver was insured, his insurance will cover the damage. I went and got an estimate for around $1500. To the naked eye it looks like no damage, though bumper is messed up, gaps are off on rear doors and trunk is rolled. That was on friday. Strangely my car did not want to start right after the accident, and i needed to get it jumped. It was not starting since, so i went ahead and bought a new battery. Everything worked fine.

Today i was heading home from work, and about a quarter mile from my house i lose power, my engine starts running like a spark plug is missing, and smoke from under the hood, so much that i could barely see enough to limp it home. I shut it off as soon as i got into my drive way. The smoke seemed to increase as revs went up.

Car had 153k miles on it. It just passed inspection and emissions like 2 weeks ago. There were no problems prior to the accident.

Do you guys think this is just a coincidence or is it possible that the motor problem is related to the accident. The exhaust was knocked off the hangers, and also i noticed that my pass. side motor mount lid was blow off. I changed the oil on the day of the accident and i looked over my engine bay and it was still intact (the motor did not run out of oil, that was my first concern, and i checked for it today. there is less oil then i put in though)

So what do you guys think ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22585
What I Drive: 07 silver MS3 gt

FF Reputation: 3 coppertits Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Honestly from the accident. My 2 How are you going to prove that with that many miles on your car though?

~zoom-zoom~
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertits View Post
Honestly from the accident. My 2 How are you going to prove that with that many miles on your car though?
that is exactly my concern, i sure will try though
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 42,753, Level 100
Points: 42,753, Level: 100 Points: 42,753, Level: 100 Points: 42,753, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hmmmmm well where was the smoke coming from under the hood?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64914
What I Drive: 06 red ZX4, 04 silver SVT cobra

FF Reputation: 8 NeweracapMAN Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
geez sry.... idk how it would be connected unless the crash crushed wires together or somethign and shorted everything out but idk i would have it looked at and see what is wrong
Team Duratec #08
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

its not any type of electrical issue...it seems like it is coming from around the exhaust manifold or where the head and block meet
Old 01-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 22585
What I Drive: 07 silver MS3 gt

FF Reputation: 3 coppertits Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is it possible for the rear end to get hit and the exhaust to shove the engine at all?

~zoom-zoom~
Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

Points 25,248, Level 95
Points: 25,248, Level: 95 Points: 25,248, Level: 95 Points: 25,248, Level: 95
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertits View Post
Is it possible for the rear end to get hit and the exhaust to shove the engine at all?
Very possible. The impact at the rear is directly connected to the front. There is a flexible section of the exhaust pipe near the engine, I bet it's damaged, or you could have cracked/damaged other parts near the engine.

When hit from the rear, the entire exhaust system would be working like a battering ram acting on the exhaust system near the front of the engine where it turns at a 90 degree angle to go up to the head.

As for the dead battery, you most likely have some electrical wires pinched.

Make sure you report this to the adjuster and see if you can have the wiring checked by the body shop as they do the repairs. If they can locate and document the damage to the wiring they can ususally have the insurance company revise the claim. The original estimates are just that, an estimate. Once the work is started, if there are concealed damages, your body shop can seek authorization to have it covered.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
You may have more than one problem.
The reason it didn't start after the collision is not because of the battery. The fuel shut-off gets tripped in a collision and you need to reset it. Look it up in the owners manual.

Your motor mounts probably needed to replaced prior to the collision. A minor rear hit shouldn't have caused them to break.

I'd also examine the entire exhaust system for problems. An impact to the tailpipe could conceivably tweak the pipes all the way to the exhaust manifold.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

Points 463, Level 9
Points: 463, Level: 9 Points: 463, Level: 9 Points: 463, Level: 9
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
also if you where stopped and you got pushed forward that might torque the engine and mess things up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.