2010 SES Sedan vs. 2009 (new) Honda Fit - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2010 SES Sedan vs. 2009 (new) Honda Fit

The votes are in (2) and it is unanimous! The Ford won!

A little explanation:

I bought the 2010 SES Sedan (auto), to replace a 2009 SE Sedan (auto) lemon. My wife bought the 2009 (new) Honda fit sport (auto), on December 30th, 2009.

The Honda is quite zippy, with right-now brakes and acceleration, and with the shifter paddles, is light-years ahead of the focus tranny.

This is where the Honda stops, and the Focus starts. The cabin noise is atrocious in the Honda! Road noise, engine noise, outside noise, ALL are transmitted, no, AMPLIFIED by the spacious cargo/cabin. I felt I was inside a 55 gallon drum with the UCLA band drum section beating-the-hell out of the Honda! The radio volume must be carried quite high to drown out ambient noise.

The Fit suspension is quite harsh, over bumps, compared to the Focus

We had to raise our voices to speak to each other, compared to the Focus.

The first time I opened the driver's side door, I swear, it almost came-off the hinges into my hand! The door handle and door are so light, I nearly hit my twig-n-berries! Ouch!

The dash design is comical, you just have to see it, to know what I'm talking about. It is asymmetrical, with different sized knobs/controls. Golly-gee-willikers, Bozo! Where's my clown pants?

Next is the most disturbing aspect. We took her new Fit for its first wash, at an automatic, and we were rocked unpleasantly during the wash/rinse cycle. I selected the premium wash, so blowers were activated to dry the car on exit. It sounded like the roof was going to cave-in! It sounded like the entire roof was being shaken in waves, and I pulled forward and hopped out expecting to see creases in the sheet metal, and areas of paint separated. Fortunately, all was fine.

The Focus in the same wash is quiet and composed, much like it handles twisty-bits, with its primo suspension.

My wife loves her Fit, but admitted she would much rather drive my SES, because of its quiet cabin, and superior handling. It is rock solid in the twisties, unless you get crazy.

This comparo isn't meant to bash the Honda (ok, it is), as it and the Focus are really two different platforms, meant for two different schools.

Just thought it might help folks comparing vehicles, since the Fit is the darling of so many, and if overall reviews of the 2010 Foci may be believed, they are the darling of so few.

One other observation; even though the Fit is the upscale Sport, the interior materials look, and feel very cheap, compared to the SES Focus. Very cheap.

My wife also took a new Civic for a test drive, and she came-back sporting two thumbs-down, whatever that means.

Will be very interesting to compare the new Fiesta or new Focus hatchie with the Fit, when they are introduced here.

Charles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61768
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE-5spd Silver

FF Reputation: 0 cbr1100xx Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I test drove the previous generation Fit in a 5spd. I wasn't very impressed. It was slow with zero torque and not very comfortable. Also the damn thing didn't come with a center armrest! I think it was an option. Hopefully the 2010 has that now.

For the price, I find the Fit to be lacking. I much prefer the ride, feel, comfort of my '09 SE sedan.

Just curious....what were your problems with your Lemon '09 SE??
Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Transmission tanked @ 7,000 miles. It shifted into 1st gear from high gear around 45 to 50 mph. Slammed me (and wife) forward, several times, tanked torque converter, bearing, solenoid. Ford would only fix one thing at a time (try this, if nogo, try this, if nogo, try this). Dealer had to get "OK" for each step. Couldn't have a vehicle with ongoing problems...it tanked again @ around 10K, so dumped it at a loss. Made a terrible grunching sound when upshifting and downshifting, when it decided to shift. Ford wanted to try a new throttle body, for some reason...wasn't thrilled about that.

My '10 SES has none of the above issues.

My wife's fit has an adjustable driver armrest. Nothing doin' on the passenger bucket.

Yes, the Fit felt, looked, and drove incredibly cheap. Was very disappointed, but couldn't let my wife know...

I wondered with all the glowing Fit reviews, if the testers actually drove one? Incredible.

Charles
Old 01-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62411
What I Drive: Honda Civic

FF Reputation: 2 focus11 Good Standing Member
I own a late model Civic sedan and it too is very loud. Honda's are notorious for having a lack of any sound deadening and very thin sheetmetal. The Civic's have very poorly assembled interiors. I have a whole lot of rattles and buzzes in mine. I took it in in 2008 after having it for only 3 weeks and the service dept kept it for the entire day to address all the rattles. Over a year later it has more buzzes and rattles than ever. Interestingly, Honda still to this day has no solution for the transmission failures on their 5 speed automatics used in the Accord, Odyssey, and Acura TL from a few years back. What they've been doing is replacing them upon each failure but the main cause of failure has yet to be resolved. Another problem is paint on Honda products. Every Honda I've ever owned has had horrible paint. It chips incredibly easy and if you ever have any bird droppings you must clean it right away because if you don't it will leave a blemish where the bird dropping was at. I will be dumping my Civic with pleasure when the all new 2012 Focus sedan comes out. I'm going back home to Ford. I will never purchase any Honda product ever again. By the way, Toyota's are worse than Honda's. Owned a Corolla briefly and it was, unequivocally, the worst car I've ever owned!

Hail to the Ford Motor Company! I'm coming back home.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I test drove the previous generation Fit in a 5spd. I wasn't very impressed. It was slow with zero torque and not very comfortable. Also the damn thing didn't come with a center armrest! I think it was an option. Hopefully the 2010 has that now.

For the price, I find the Fit to be lacking. I much prefer the ride, feel, comfort of my '09 SE sedan.
Ditto. The 1st gen Fit didn't even have a dead pedal to rest my left foot. The 2nd gen Fit did,but even with the steering wheel at its highest setting it still pressed down on my legs(kneecaps in particular). Not a good test driving experience.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 01-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19485
What I Drive: '09 Focus SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Jayhawk Good Standing Member
I drove the Fit as well-- and enjoyed shooting around the city in it but also heard the noise. Interior was ok but this time I wanted something nice. The SEL Focus really filled the bill. Quiet serene, economical, fun and pretty quick in city driving as well.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

Points 5,863, Level 49
Points: 5,863, Level: 49 Points: 5,863, Level: 49 Points: 5,863, Level: 49
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus11 View Post
I own a late model Civic sedan and it too is very loud. Honda's are notorious for having a lack of any sound deadening and very thin sheetmetal.
that's cuz they are expecting everyone to throw a fart can on so you can hear the vtak kick in yo!!

^^ couldn't help it.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
A girl I'm dating now has a new Fit in the family. I personally didn't experience any road noise problems or harsh ride, but I can confirm that the doors felt a little thin/flimsy. If you feel around some of the interior door plastics, you can also feel how cheap/hollow some of the plastics are.

I'm also not a fan of the fact that it doesn't have independent rear suspension or rear disc brakes, which would make it a personal deal breaker for me. There's absolutely no reason why every car shouldn't have these features standard by now, regardless of price. There is just no excuse!

But anyway, besides all the negatives I think the car has a beautiful design with tons of cool storage features. If you put enough money into it, I'm sure you could potentially transform it into a fun car to toss around. Although with that same money you could just end up with something better in stock form.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 59052
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF 3 door

Points 9,500, Level 65
Points: 9,500, Level: 65 Points: 9,500, Level: 65 Points: 9,500, Level: 65
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 LongDucDong Great Standing Member
The Fit handles really well for what it is, has a decent looking interior and.... other than that? Its a turd.

Id rather keep my 03 SVTF with 100K+ miles over a brand new Fit.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61768
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE-5spd Silver

FF Reputation: 0 cbr1100xx Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus11 View Post
I will never purchase any Honda product ever again.
Motorcycles are another story. I have one now and it's been bulletproof as have been my 2 others in the past. GREAT bikes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.