Buying a used Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 44466
What I Drive: Coming soon?

FF Reputation: 1 Racso Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Buying a used Focus

Ok, here's the story. In early 2007 my wife and I bought a brand new SES. We loved it! Then later that year we found out that we were having a baby, and almost 1 year exactly, we had to trade the Focus in for a Mits. Outlander. We needed the bigger car to carry baby and dogs! Since her current job is in our back yard (literally, our subdivision and where she works is separated by about 15 feet of wooded area), we only had one car. So now, coming up on two years since then, my wife is trying to get a new job. Her new job would include travel, but her pay would be more than we currently make together right now! Since she would then need a car, we are looking for a second car. Now that you are up to date...

Since we really liked our focus we are looking to get one again. We are looking at a used one to save money. In my area we found a '07 ST, with SAP, with only 24K miles on it listed for $11,500. We looked at it yesterday (didn't test drive it yet). The front bumper has some curb rash on the bottom, the driver floor mat was so worn that it had a hole in it, and the lining in the trunk looked like it was coming off at all the corners.

Like I said, I haven't taken it for a test drive so I don't know how it drives, but I just wanted to get some thoughts on how easy these problems are to fix (obviously I can just buy new floor mats, but on the curb rash and trunk lining) and if these are just signs of other problems. I figure that if these problems are easy to fix, then I have even more negotiating room to bring the price down.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32955
What I Drive: 07 Infra Red ST,2002 ZX3.

Points 7,566, Level 58
Points: 7,566, Level: 58 Points: 7,566, Level: 58 Points: 7,566, Level: 58
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 5 DueceCoupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
As an ST owner I can tell You I couldnt be Happier with mine.
There is actally one listed here on FF for 9,900.00 with 30,000 miles that I can attest to is absolutely beautiful.
Make the Drive to Pa and pick it up!
If not,ask for the Auto Check or Car Fax and Go to work on negotiating.
The ST is an excellent platform,wether it be for Daily Driving or to start modifying.

ST Crew Member # 666
Old 01-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 44466
What I Drive: Coming soon?

FF Reputation: 1 Racso Good Standing Member
Forgot to add that there is a Carfax on it without anything negetive. It doesn't have anything really positive on it either (I've seen plenty of Carfax's with every oil change noted and such).

The other problem is financing. It is at a ford dealer and my first focus was financed through ford and I was perfect on payments so maybe ford will be nice again?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
My only advise is to make sure you look around plenty. Don't pull the trigger on the first decent car you see because after that you will see a bunch of better deals and feel stupid.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19485
What I Drive: '09 Focus SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Jayhawk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, have it checked out by a mechanic, get the carfax and make a bid if you like it!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
You like this.

Fan#: 49693
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda RX-8, 99 Jeep TJ

FF Reputation: 5 MichSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsoccerdude View Post
My only advise is to make sure you look around plenty. Don't pull the trigger on the first decent car you see because after that you will see a bunch of better deals and feel stupid.
KJ you deserve a +1 rep point
|_|.............|_|
Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 13,326, Level 75
Points: 13,326, Level: 75 Points: 13,326, Level: 75 Points: 13,326, Level: 75
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 30%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%
FF Reputation: 29 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
Ok, here's the story. In early 2007 my wife and I bought a brand new SES. We loved it! Then later that year we found out that we were having a baby, and almost 1 year exactly, we had to trade the Focus in for a Mits. Outlander. We needed the bigger car to carry baby and dogs! Since her current job is in our back yard (literally, our subdivision and where she works is separated by about 15 feet of wooded area), we only had one car. So now, coming up on two years since then, my wife is trying to get a new job. Her new job would include travel, but her pay would be more than we currently make together right now! Since she would then need a car, we are looking for a second car. Now that you are up to date...

Since we really liked our focus we are looking to get one again. We are looking at a used one to save money. In my area we found a '07 ST, with SAP, with only 24K miles on it listed for $11,500. We looked at it yesterday (didn't test drive it yet). The front bumper has some curb rash on the bottom, the driver floor mat was so worn that it had a hole in it, and the lining in the trunk looked like it was coming off at all the corners.

Like I said, I haven't taken it for a test drive so I don't know how it drives, but I just wanted to get some thoughts on how easy these problems are to fix (obviously I can just buy new floor mats, but on the curb rash and trunk lining) and if these are just signs of other problems. I figure that if these problems are easy to fix, then I have even more negotiating room to bring the price down.

Thanks
Which dealership in the Cincy area did you go to? There is another 2007 ST listed on craigslist that is for $8995 but I am not sure if it's at a dealership or not. It only has 26,000 on the clock and doesn't have the SAP package as well. But it has the same equipment that the other one does.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile 24k miles and a hole in the floor mat is ridiculous. Mine just got a hole this past year but i have well over double that. Def tall them down I dont think it should be worth that much. Its over 3 years old and no collectors item. Try to get them to go like 10k or under.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Malosos69

Fan#:
I'm looking too and trying to stay away from dealerships, they tend to mark up their used cars more than a private party would, my friend works at at dealership and says they make more money on used than new cars.
I'm gonna go the PP route get a carfax and have a mechanic look it over, probably save me a couple of thousand that way.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31383
What I Drive: 2010 Mazdaspeed3 - old car 2000 SE

FF Reputation: 1 FocusBoy949 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i stopped to look at an 07 ST with 29k and no SAP package. Dealership wanted $12,900 for it. I told them they were crazy, and that's why its been sitting there all summer, and fall, and now half of winter!
I want a SVT!!
SEDAN REVOLUTION #5

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.