revs increase without throttle - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 72012
What I Drive: 1999 racing green zetec 16v 18i

FF Reputation: 1 renzy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
revs increase without throttle

hi ive just bought an 1999 focus 18i zetec,as i was driving it home i noticed that when
i push the clutch in the revs stay on 2500 for a couple seconds then drop to normal,but this morning when it was cold it kept doing it in every gear for a few minutes till the engine warmed up,any help on the matter would be great,many thanks matt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69219
What I Drive: 2007 blue 1.6

Points 5,537, Level 47
Points: 5,537, Level: 47 Points: 5,537, Level: 47 Points: 5,537, Level: 47
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Z_interactive Good Standing Member
Hey, welcome to FF, it's good to have more EU people here because there's differance between markets.
Anyway, about your question.
How good was that car driven? Did you (or previous owner) drive it in high revs while engine was cold.
Also 1.8 and 2.0 engines in MkI focus are over 20 years old, designed in late 1980s, for mkI focus are upgraded so maybe the problem is in ECU, engine platform is old and from 88' to 98' is 10 years and that's long time in auto world. Electronic things have changed.

I'm no expert and I don't know will this help you but that's what I'm guessing...

Some info about engine:

1.8 L Ford Zeta engine
Inline 4
DOHC
16 valves
head and block - light alloy
New intake manifold design for more effective mixing
of fuel and air in the combustion chamber
2 belt-driven camshafts each with 5 bearings
Optimized camshaft drive for long belt life
weight 116 kg

84 kW-115 HP / 5500 rpm
160 Nm / 4400 rpm
Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69219
What I Drive: 2007 blue 1.6

Points 5,537, Level 47
Points: 5,537, Level: 47 Points: 5,537, Level: 47 Points: 5,537, Level: 47
Level Up 94% Completed
Level up: 94% Level up: 94% Level up: 94%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Z_interactive Good Standing Member
And of course, how much miles does car have. Was the clutch changed or is the same from 1999?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Check your Throttle Position Sensor. Take it off and look for moisture on the silver ring. There should be a how to thread if you're not sure what that is or where. It's located on the throttle body.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
rawr

Fan#: 65577
What I Drive: 07 ZX3, 86 honda vf500f, 81 Vespa

Points 3,564, Level 37
Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 puppetman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
my 07 does that. ive always had the rev hang a little bit when i push the clutch, and it dosnt seem to hurt the performance of the car any. since its been cold my car has been idling at a much higher rpm (2-2.5rpm) than normal, so i figure its the engines way of warming itself. so to your question, i imagine its supossed to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutSVT View Post
hey man don't hate, it cost alot of money to look that cheap...
Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetman View Post
my 07 does that. ive always had the rev hang a little bit when i push the clutch, and it dosnt seem to hurt the performance of the car any. since its been cold my car has been idling at a much higher rpm (2-2.5rpm) than normal, so i figure its the engines way of warming itself. so to your question, i imagine its supossed to this.
Please don't give out advice if you don't have a real answer. "That helped not at all". If anything you could be helping things get worse.
Take your car to an auto parts store and have them read the code. Please don't think it's normal.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
rawr

Fan#: 65577
What I Drive: 07 ZX3, 86 honda vf500f, 81 Vespa

Points 3,564, Level 37
Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 puppetman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ive read other threads on here about rev hang and that it was normal. sorry i cannot reference them. and i just wanted to give my opinion, i said i "imagine" "not this is the way it is".

to the OP sorry you probably shouldnt take my advice since this is the internet anyway and you really have no idea who i am. maybe im a troll and i wanna screw with you
have your dealership take a look at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutSVT View Post
hey man don't hate, it cost alot of money to look that cheap...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54461
What I Drive: 14' PB ST2

Points 3,634, Level 37
Points: 3,634, Level: 37 Points: 3,634, Level: 37 Points: 3,634, Level: 37
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 xpeterbilt387x Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocrew View Post
Please don't give out advice if you don't have a real answer. "That helped not at all". If anything you could be helping things get worse.
Take your car to an auto parts store and have them read the code. Please don't think it's normal.
Hes just stating that his car does it when its cold. my 2009 revs higher when its cold as well, so tell me to go "Check my code". As far as the engine rev a little higher when its cold, most engines will do that, but after the engine warms up it shouldn't hang out above 2.5, i would check the sensor as stated above. Also is the Check Engine light on?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppetman View Post
ive read other threads on here about rev hang and that it was normal. sorry i cannot reference them. and i just wanted to give my opinion, i said i "imagine" "not this is the way it is".

to the OP sorry you probably shouldnt take my advice since this is the internet anyway and you really have no idea who i am. maybe im a troll and i wanna screw with you
have your dealership take a look at it
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeterbilt387x View Post
Hes just stating that his car does it when its cold. my 2009 revs higher when its cold as well, so tell me to go "Check my code". As far as the engine rev a little higher when its cold, most engines will do that, but after the engine warms up it shouldn't hang out above 2.5, i would check the sensor as stated above. Also is the Check Engine light on?
Maybe you should go check your code.

First of all, he has a different engine than both of you. And even when it is cold, normally a zetec engine does not rev over 2k. Mine for instance never tops 1300k. 2nd of all I never called anyone a troll and wasn't rude, so your reply wasn't needed. And you saying he probably shouldn't take your advice couldn't be anymore right. If you don't have any real useful info then your not helping.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51304
What I Drive: '02 Yellow ZX3

Points 4,034, Level 40
Points: 4,034, Level: 40 Points: 4,034, Level: 40 Points: 4,034, Level: 40
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 PlasticRacer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Ur engine revving above 2k when its cold isn't normal, thats a bit high, just like yocrew said around 1200-1300rpm when its cold, then gradually goes down as it warms up. So i'd also suggest checking the TPS sensor using the how-to section as stated above

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.