Painting my Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62632
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lets_FOCUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool Painting my Focus

I just picked up a body-kit nice and cheap on Craigslist. It needs to be fiberglassed in 2 spots, but I can't even complain because it only set me back $40! It has to be painted to match my car, though.

I am debating on whether to try and match the color of the car, paint the car and body kit as a whole to ensure they match, or just paint the kit and do a two-tone effect.

Each of these have their own distinct pros and cons, so that leads me to a few questions! All input appreciated! I will give you guys rep. =]

1.) Is it viable to try and match the body kit's color to my car, or is it true that I will essentially never get a perfect match? I know this will save me some money on supplies and labor, but I don't want a slightly mismatched car.

2.) If I go two-tone, it may save me some money as well, but can someone who has tried this, or who has a good eye for aesthetics let me know if there is any way to make it look good, or if this will just make the car look cheap, and make the kit look dumb?

3.) How much would it cost for supplies to paint the car? Any recommendations to products? (labor set aside, because I DO know a paint guy who will give me a deal) I like the idea of getting to choose a new color for my car, but I have no idea how much this will cost, and I want it done right. I know it won't be cheap, and I don't want it to be, I live in an area with hot summers, lots of rain throughout the year, and nasty winters every year, too. I want this paint to last, and not chip off after a few months. Anything I need to know about changing the color of my car?

Please do feel free to share, if you look at the post, don't leave without saying something!! Every little bit of opinion is greatly appreciated!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Well if you know a paint guy then Id paint the peices to match. He getting paint to match isnt to hard as long as you dont go cheap. Id look up a local automotive paint supplier and ask them for prices on paint and if they feel it should match or not. Most pro painters would blend the paint into the exsiting paint to make it look really good. But I dont know how pro your paint guy is.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
rawr

Fan#: 65577
What I Drive: 07 ZX3, 86 honda vf500f, 81 Vespa

Points 3,564, Level 37
Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 puppetman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
you can probably buy the exact paint that your car was painted with and just use that.
im sure ford supplies it

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutSVT View Post
hey man don't hate, it cost alot of money to look that cheap...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
^^A Problem might come up with this. His paint might be a bit more faded. There are some Body shops that get the paint to match exactly what your paint looks like now.
Heres a pic from FocusFest 2 years ago.. Me and Dave's wife's car are the same paint code but they look different.
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL

Last edited by WUGcatsvt; 10-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
rawr

Fan#: 65577
What I Drive: 07 ZX3, 86 honda vf500f, 81 Vespa

Points 3,564, Level 37
Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37 Points: 3,564, Level: 37
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 puppetman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
oh wow
thats crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutSVT View Post
hey man don't hate, it cost alot of money to look that cheap...
Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Every batch of paint is going to be different. However, good paint shops have a scanner that scans the exisitng paint and outputs the mixing amounts to dilute/concentrate the new paint to match the faded/differnet color paint even though they are the same paint code.

I had a rock fall off of a dump truck and nail my hood less than a month after buying my first focus (03 bought in 05) and they matched the paint perfectly, and gave me a good price because we have had our 83 mustang painted their twice (why? you might ask....the 83 has never been garaged a day in its life and resides under an oak tree, but mostly it has been to fix rust :X) Noone could tell where it was painted.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Umm, nothing

Fan#: 3341
What I Drive: 03 Black ZX3, 09 F150

Points 4,821, Level 44
Points: 4,821, Level: 44 Points: 4,821, Level: 44 Points: 4,821, Level: 44
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Onlyford4me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In my opinion if you only paint the body kit, that looks odd. I got most of my car repainted recently and it looks like it matches pretty well. Of course the only part that didn't get painted was the roof. When you look at the car you can't tell at all. Ask the paint shop how close they will be able to match it. It should look fine if you go to a reputable place.

"Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."
Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61706
What I Drive: 2010 Sedan SE

Points 4,602, Level 43
Points: 4,602, Level: 43 Points: 4,602, Level: 43 Points: 4,602, Level: 43
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 PowerFocer Good Standing Member
Color matching is generally pretty easy to do, but I would be weary with a silver car. (One of the two hardest colors to paint with). Unless you go to the dealership or something, which will cost quite a lot of money just for the kit.

If you want to put some leg work into it I would suggest fully prepping the car by sanding and rattle can primer yourself then take it to the paint shop and just have them paint the car. Because most all of the charge involved with getting a paint job is the prep work labor costs. If its fully prepped you can get a full professional paint job for under $1000.

And of course there's always the self rattle can approach. Of course, I would suggest doing all of the prep work too. White is the best color to use when doing this because it doesn't get darker if one spot is applied a little heavier than another. And finish with clear coat. A friend of mine did this and it looks VERY good. Almost as good as my factory paint job.

I personally would prep it myself and take it to a shop just for the actual painting, but that's me. Just my 2 cents.

-PowerFocer
NEVER trust anyone with your car or your girl.
Either way, you could get a rod thrown in both.........
Fast cars make smart people do dumb things
Old 10-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67411
What I Drive: 2007 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 BlackHayze Good Standing Member
I think painting the body kit a different color wouldn't look right no matter how well the two colors matched, I'd stay away from that, it would be very hard to pull off.

One of my friends is trying to repaint his car now, and is saying the lowest price he has found is $600 for standard paint, and if you want something original or something that's going to look different from every other car out there (which I'm assuming you would want if you are going to repaint the whole car) it's going to cost more than that, just guestimating I'd say anywhere from $1,000 on.

I'd take it to a body shop and get it paint matched. I don't think they will get it wrong, especially if it is a good body shop that's done a lot of work before. And if they do, they will probably correct the mistake for free, and it wouldn't be as costly as repainting the car, or as risky as trying to paint match it yourself.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62632
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 lets_FOCUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerFocer View Post
Color matching is generally pretty easy to do, but I would be weary with a silver car. (One of the two hardest colors to paint with). Unless you go to the dealership or something, which will cost quite a lot of money just for the kit.

If you want to put some leg work into it I would suggest fully prepping the car by sanding and rattle can primer yourself then take it to the paint shop and just have them paint the car. Because most all of the charge involved with getting a paint job is the prep work labor costs. If its fully prepped you can get a full professional paint job for under $1000.

And of course there's always the self rattle can approach. Of course, I would suggest doing all of the prep work too. White is the best color to use when doing this because it doesn't get darker if one spot is applied a little heavier than another. And finish with clear coat. A friend of mine did this and it looks VERY good. Almost as good as my factory paint job.

I personally would prep it myself and take it to a shop just for the actual painting, but that's me. Just my 2 cents.

-PowerFocer
This is probably what I am going to do! My best friend actually works at an art store, and she can get AuotAir (I think?) paint at a wholesale rate, so I was thinking of buying the paint through her, prepping the car, and taking it to my friend who does paint! He is a mechanic, but his specialty is body and paint work! I know he would give me break on labor costs, and if I went and got all the supplies and did all the prep, I could probably save at least an arm.. Maybe not the leg though!

I appreciate everyone's input. I learned a lot, I didn't realize paint could fade that drastically! I considered going with a gunmetal grey body kit and leaving the car silver, but I'm just afraid it will stick out and look very unprofessional. I have the resources available to have the whole thing painted, I may as well just go ahead and do it!

Thanks again, everyone!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.