Big decision in the making, need some help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: What to do?
Keep the zx3 and save $$ for college, etc. 24 82.76%
Save some $, sell the zx3 and buy an SVT. 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58870
What I Drive: 2001 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 evanjfrancis Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Big decision in the making, need some help

Okay, so the background of this story is that I bought an 01 zx3 with 68k on it last year for 3200 (i now realize i paid way too much for it). It had an AEM cai in it, i've swapped to a volant and got a custom 2.25" exhaust, along with some interior upgrades and fun stuff, but however much I work on my car, I just can't help but feel like there's really no point. No matter what I do, it'll just be a zx3 thats kinda nice and fun to drive. The engine's got 80k on it right now, and the exteriors pretty banged up (even for a DD). And no, I don't want to spend more money on FI than I spent on the car. So the idea of getting an SVT keeps coming into my mind, but I just cant afford one right now. If you were in my situation, would you guys keep the zx3 and just lightly mod it to make it a nice fun little DD, or would you keep the zx3 over the winter, then sell it next summer and buy an SVT after having made some extra cash? I'm going to college so cash is not easy to come by, but I really think it'd be a good investment...I just can't decide.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

Points 12,892, Level 74
Points: 12,892, Level: 74 Points: 12,892, Level: 74 Points: 12,892, Level: 74
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Probably best to save for college man.. Then with what you can spare put it in your car if you want
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 89 Civic Base

Points 13,492, Level 75
Points: 13,492, Level: 75 Points: 13,492, Level: 75 Points: 13,492, Level: 75
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
A car is never a good investment. Keep the car through college and afterwards, when you have a job that can pay for it, buy and SVT or another car.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 15982
What I Drive: Pitch Black '03 ZX5 SVT

Points 5,977, Level 50
Points: 5,977, Level: 50 Points: 5,977, Level: 50 Points: 5,977, Level: 50
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 R00ST650 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Coming from someone who just graduated college and cannot find a damn job.. Get the car!!! lol.

For what I spent on college I could be driving around in a shiny 09 STI rolling on advan's pumping 350+ AWHP!

The funny part is..im working at the SAME place I used to work 5 years ago for LESS money!

SVT's can be had cheap depending on the market. If you can find a nice one for cheap and have a decent amount of income/savings I would say sell of the zx3 mods you can and swap cars. If it was me... I would not drop 5-7k to do so. BUT if you can find a deal and have the means of doing it, may as well!

Your best bet is community college first to save some HUGE money.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58870
What I Drive: 2001 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 evanjfrancis Great Standing Member
Quote:
Your best bet is community college first to save some HUGE money.
Well I'm getting quite a significant amount in scholarships, so it looks like I'll be going to either RPI or WPI. And i'm not really trying to choose between college n an SVT =p just between college or having an SVT and going to college with less money
Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53155
What I Drive: 2013 F150 EcoBoost 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 Cube Good Standing Member
Personally I would keep the car and just drive it. Go to college and worry about replacing the car later down the road. College cost enough as it is. Trust me on this as I am going for the third time.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 67570
What I Drive: '13 Mustang V6 vert

FF Reputation: 4 Robotaz Good Standing Member
man, you already know what you should do. you're just looking for someone who sounds smart and logical to give you reasoning to do what you know you shouldn't do. I don't mean to be rude to you, but that's definitely the way it looks to me. I have done the same many times so I know what it looks like.

The question unfortunately goes deeper than what car do you want. The real question is: do you have a plan as to how college will make you more profitable than you would be by not going to college. The answer to that question determines where your money should be going. The point of college is to come out with a dramatic increase in your personal marketability.

Here are the scenarios: a.) you go to college knowing what you want to do and also knowing that you will dramatically increase your income with that particular education. If that's the case, keep the car you have and start the journey of becoming wealthy. b.) You have no idea what you want to do in school, you're just going because mommy wants you to or you just feel like you should. If you can stay with mommy and not pay rent, blow money on a car and prepare to be poor for probably the rest of your life unless you get lucky. If you can't live with mommy, then don't even think about pumping more money into a car when you shouldn't be spending money on something that will always depreciate. c.) You know what you want to study at school, but you're not sure whether or not you can make a career out of that particular education. You will need every dollar you can get your hands on to try to make a career for yourself when you get out of school.

I think a person considering going to school is smart enough to see the scenarios laid out for themselves. I'm just trying to show you that other people see the same outcomes you do. You should be glad you are alive for one, be glad you have a car, be glad that you CAN go to college, be glad you're in a free country, and start saving money so that you can buy any car you want when you've learned how to make a lot of money. I'd be a negligent ass to tell you anything else because I know it works. Everyone who dumped fortunes into their cars either stopped and made a lot of money spending on assets that appreciate in value, or had to stop because they are too poor to even pay basic bills and spend money on cars. That's just how it works unless you live off of your parents. Good luck to you!

'13 Mustang V6 vert, grabber blue
Mods: Tint
Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 59052
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF 3 door

Points 9,500, Level 65
Points: 9,500, Level: 65 Points: 9,500, Level: 65 Points: 9,500, Level: 65
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 LongDucDong Great Standing Member
You only live once. Who knows when your time will come? Make the most of it and do what YOU feel is right. If it were up to me, Id buy the SVT. Why? Because it puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. College is important and all, but so is life. Do what your heart tells you to do, not what some strangers on a internet forum tell you.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanjfrancis View Post
Well I'm getting quite a significant amount in scholarships, so it looks like I'll be going to either RPI or WPI. And i'm not really trying to choose between college n an SVT =p just between college or having an SVT and going to college with less money
Your going to keep the car through college, run it to the ground since you won't be able to sell it for much, and your not going to buy the svt. Why, b/c for one by the time you get out of college your going to want to pick up a brand new MKIII Focus....hell you'll probably be lusting over one while your still in college. Word is Ford is showing it off first at the Detriot autoshow in january. So yea, don't buy the SVT, b/c when you do, you'll be staring at the Focus ST or RS in a few years and be saying I wish I saved my money so I could buy one of these bad boys.

LOL, if you can live with the zx3 do it. Trust me I have thought about this many times, but money is tight. In the end, even though I hate my car sometimes, I still love it and I can still have fun driving it around town. Your going to college, money is going to be seriously tight, especially if you have no cash flow. One big expense are college books which depending on how many classes you have, will probably cost you somewhere around 500-800 dollars....a semester. Still think you can afford the SVT?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #10

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
I paid $5,750 for my car with 88,000 miles, spent $2,000 in repairs in the first month, and a lot more over the last year. Here's what I decided to do:

1.) Get my job to deposit $150 of every paycheck (bi-weekly) into savings instead of checking to see if I could swing a $300 per month car payment.

2.) Save up ALL that is remaining for my 1/2 of college expenses. I save until I have enough for the next semester and THEN spend whatever is left.

3.) Re-evaluate the situation next Spring

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.