New Ford Lease/Buy Prices - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Focus Rookie
Fan#: 63775
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 tbtkmb13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New Ford Lease/Buy Prices

Hey, I'm new to posting but I'm always around here. I have a Focus myself and absolutely love it. I just took a trip to the dealer with my parents I want some input on.

My parents have leased Ford vehicles for 20-some years from the same guy. Recent vehicles include the F-150, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer, and most recently the Freestyle. They've been sort of spoiled with deals being that they've had A, or now "AZ" plan and there's always been a vehicle that the company is pushing deals on come time to turn in the lease. All these leases with around 2-3k up front came out to under $300 monthly. Not a bad deal, especially when the Explorer back at the time had a 30-some thousand price tag.

So it's been 2 years and 10 months with the Freestyle and it's about that time to start looking around. My mom likes the Ford Escape and the price looks right. We go and test drive one just the way my parents want it, even the right color. It's a V6 with 4 wheel drive- so it'll tow the boat and handle the winter with no trouble. The sticker has a price around 28k but drop the Sun and Sync option and it can go down to 27k.

My parents and I go to check out the financing with the salesman and he does his thing and comes back 5 minutes later. He actually says to us "I can get you in a 4 cylinder, front-wheel drive Escape for about a 100 more a month than you pay now". What?! That comes out to around 360 a month. He never even told us what the payment on the car we actually wanted was. Then he does his salesman thing, talking about how the 4 cylinder is just as good and how we'll love it just as much, etc...

What is up? I know leasing isn't the same anymore and the new models, this being one, just hit the market but seriously? I just about flipped when I was told that without AZ plan it would be a few thousand more. Can everyday people not afford a Ford anymore?

So we're looking at just buying out the Freestyle, being that it is 14.5k. This doesn't make sense to me either. Every Ford dealer I see has Freestyles as old as 2005 with 40k+ miles at a price around 18-20k. My parents' is a 2007 with 21k miles. They ought to be begging us to bring it in and take out another lease.

Anyone else had this happen? I've been happy with the payment on my '06 Focus. I can't believed what the payments on these new cars are now though. This is just the Escape we looked at. There was a Flex priced at 40k in the showroom. I'd hate to see the payment on that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Shot me 3 deer!!!
Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 28,658, Level 99
Points: 28,658, Level: 99 Points: 28,658, Level: 99 Points: 28,658, Level: 99
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
i've heard about this and its not uncommon! prices of cars are going up and its bound to get worse.

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast
Fan#: 62959
What I Drive: 2002 Grey SE 2010 Black SE

FF Reputation: 1 Hotniks Good Standing Member
Leasing is such a money trap imo. But yeah, cars tend to be overpriced in general these days, that's why it pays to keep something for 5+ years minimum, and get all you can out of it.

It's also why Focus's are such a good deal. For the money, you can't go wrong for what you're getting.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
Focus Addict
Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
I've seen ads for those "$40k Flex's going for around $32 - you can get into a base SE (well-equipped already, without any options) for around $24K.

Why do your parents keep leasing? It sounds like they just want to be in a new car every couple of years. Personally, I don't see much difference with just buying a new car and trading the old one in.

With the economy the way it is, leasing has become a sticky issue for the dealers and leasing companies. A lease payment is partially based on the 'residual value' of the vehicle what it's worth at the end of the lease. It's getting harder and harder for them to predict what that value will be.

My suggestion would be for your parents to either stay in the Freesyle (a nice vehicle, IMO), or BUY what they like, turning in the Freestyle.

All that being said, I also think that someone is trying to pull a fast one on them with the lease payment. I'd check around.....are they dealing with the same salesman they've dealt with in the past?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Your real name.
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.