Why do the Euros get the hot Fords? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64951
What I Drive: 2009 Dark Blue, Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 BlueWave Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why do the Euros get the hot Fords?

I can’t remember the exact quote by Meg Ryan in TopGun, but this is pretty close: “Goose goes to bed early for church but Maverick always goes home with the hot women”.

The same can be said for us American Ford owners as opposed to our colleagues in Europe and Australia. They seem to get all “the hot women”. The land of the Euro gets the Focus RS and the Aussies get the new Falcon. I think Ford would sell a bunch of both of these here.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love my new Focus SES. It’s quick, handles well and I think it looks great too. The 2010 Fusion looks awesome, but other than the Mustangs, we seem to be missing out on what the European car guys are driving. Why is that? Should we blame the EPA? Are the “suits” at Ford gun shy in this economy? What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Trying to Focus

Fan#: 64813
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue ST3

Points 1,380, Level 20
Points: 1,380, Level: 20 Points: 1,380, Level: 20 Points: 1,380, Level: 20
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 ChrissyL Great Standing Member
A couple of reasons for the "Euro versions are better" lament have been around almost as long as this decades-old complaint of American enthusiasts. (1) The high-speed/mountain roads and the driving standards of Europe and its motorists have led to demands for performance-minded auto engineering, while high taxes and fuel prices have helped curb size and weight, the principal enemies of good all-round performance. Even the European divisions of American car companies get it. (2) American domestic manufacturers have believed that the mass market here at home can be milked most profitably by providing bigger, cushier cars, with lower-grade engineering in most product lines. We keep buying automotive mediocrity while trying to "get a good deal," and the car companies respond by letting the bean-counters over-rule the engineers.

The Focus is attractive to some of us partly because it has a better balance of engineering to cost-control than many of the domestic alternatives.
NW Posse #17
"Straight roads are for fast cars. Curvy roads are for fast drivers."
Old 06-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
King of all blacks!!

Fan#: 64900
What I Drive: 2013 Fusion SE,2012 Fiat 500 Abarth

FF Reputation: 7 mjd4277 Good Standing Member
Here's some more reasons why. The COSTS associated with getting certain engines federally certified and meeting emissions standards here in the U.S. and our stringent crash safety standards. People told our government to institute(mandate) these changes to make our cars safer and more environmentally friendly.
2003 Nissan Frontier SVE "Trailbreaker"
Team Duratec #241-Bailout Money?!?! WTF is that??
Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55224
What I Drive: 2006, Black, ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Irish Good Standing Member
Damn the man!
ST Crew #101
Team Duratec #237
2006 ZX4 ST
Eibach Lowering Springs, CAI, Balance Shaft Delete
Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 37,244, Level 100
Points: 37,244, Level: 100 Points: 37,244, Level: 100 Points: 37,244, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It is unfortunate ... but it is what it is.

We can grunt and moan all we want about not having the good ones ... But ChrissyL is right ... the American consumer keeps buying the mediocre car that just plain feels ... better on the butt and not for the ride and quality of the ingenuity.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41593
What I Drive: 2002 IR ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 HIGDON Good Standing Member
Hot Fords over here are a result of high population density (smaller cars), quality craftsmanship, and a high standard of efficiency. They don't have mustangs, camaros, etc. These cars are their muscle cars and they fit with the landscape. They don't bitch about not having a 500 HP Mustang. I bet if they were given the reigns to build a mustang it would be exponentialy improved in terms of efficiency and balance. Not to mention looks.

I will say the quality of materials and workmanship is far greater on the European cars. My 09 Focus is like a BMW compared to the same offering (minus hatch of course) on the US post....

---1996 Mustang 4.6L 2V: Vortech T-trim; VT stg 3 cams; nitrous. 563 rwhp496 rwtq. 684/672 on the jug.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64951
What I Drive: 2009 Dark Blue, Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 BlueWave Good Standing Member
Thanks for the responses.

Oh well, I can hope. :)

BTW: I know a guy in Germany who's restored a great 65 Mustang. The parts were expensive to ship over there, but it came ourt great.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,288, Level 56
Points: 7,288, Level: 56 Points: 7,288, Level: 56 Points: 7,288, Level: 56
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
i blame the US consumer. you guys who went out and bought an 08 and 09 focus are validating the bad decisions made by ford management.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,111, Level 96
Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96 Points: 26,111, Level: 96
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
This has been beatin to death for years honestly. We are getting most of the euro Fords in the next two years...so, end of story lol
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,288, Level 56
Points: 7,288, Level: 56 Points: 7,288, Level: 56 Points: 7,288, Level: 56
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
This has been beatin to death for years honestly. We are getting most of the euro Fords in the next two years...so, end of story lol
yes, it has been beaten to death. however, i still believe that the US should have gotten the mk2 focus back in 2005. we didnt, because ford knew that the consumers would buy whatever it was that was offered to them. you cannot blame ford for this. the fault lies with the public.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.