Is there a (possible) 2011 electric Focus?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
You like this.

Fan#: 49693
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda RX-8, 99 Jeep TJ

FF Reputation: 5 MichSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Is there a (possible) 2011 electric Focus??

Me and the girl are having this debate on the next Focus, to be assembled in Michigan in 2011. She claims to have read an article that the plant is being fitted to make electric Focus's. I don't believe it, and tell her, "sure, there are a few experimental cars out there, like hydrogen Edge's and such." Is there goign to be an electric or hybrid Focus in 2011?

|_|.............|_|
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

Fan#: 61209
What I Drive: 2008 black SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Foxtrot685 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i think i read that there may very well be a hybrid model in the foci future! its not known if it will be plug in or "strong" conventional hybrid.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
You like this.

Fan#: 49693
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda RX-8, 99 Jeep TJ

FF Reputation: 5 MichSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
well there were some sort of electric focus media drives sometime in the past couple months... she's not giving up lol.
|_|.............|_|
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Busy Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

Points 63,228, Level 100
Points: 63,228, Level: 100 Points: 63,228, Level: 100 Points: 63,228, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
If it does come it'll either be expensive or a piece of junk. Plus batteries are just as bad for the earth as gasoline. It's a catch-22
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

Points 21,937, Level 92
Points: 21,937, Level: 92 Points: 21,937, Level: 92 Points: 21,937, Level: 92
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
This blurb talks about newer hybrid technology, and although it doesn't say anything about the Focus, it pictures One, and alludes to 3 more Ford products on the way... I suppose it stands to reason a Focus Hybrid would be right around the corner.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
Freeskiing Fanatic!

Fan#: 49565
What I Drive: 2005 Light Tundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 26 captcurt_18 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^thats a hydrogen powered focus from a few years back. Its not practical at this time.
Sedan Revolution Member #120
University of Montana
Photoshop Guru! PM me if you need something chopped up
Give me rep if im helpful!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58941
What I Drive: '08 Vista Blue Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 Phoenix Dies Good Standing Member
Though I don't have a direct answer to this specific question, I know for a fact that the next gen platform was specifically engineered to except gasoline, plug-in hybrid, gasoline hybrid, diesel, and full electric platforms in mind.

Ford also has dealings going on with a battery manufacturer so it is very likely we will see one. Maybe not right away in 2011 but, definitely on that platform.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53540
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

Points 1,073, Level 17
Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17 Points: 1,073, Level: 17
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 hammer2.0 Good Standing Member
Electric cars scare me. This whole "protect the environment" thing is getting blown out of proportion. I am all for a cleaner world, but to what extent. Say in 10 years, the government mandates that people must buy electric vehicles or hybrids. I own some snowmobiles, would like to get a quad. I can tow these vehicles with my Focus(one at a time), I really don't think that a hybrid, let alone an electric, will tow either one. I use my car for towing the sled around town or on the occasional trip out of town. A pure gas engine is more versatile and durable for this, hopefully they do not mandate the same for trucks. Batteries are expensive to replace and even more damaging to get rid of when no longer usable. Cars have been evolving for 100+ years, the gas engine can get more efficient, powerful, reliable and cleaner, but also, if cars some day get 70+mpg(gas engine), which it could, I would hate to pay for the fuel. As fuel use goes down, the prices will go up to compensate for lost revenues. Its a catch 22. I also cant believe that in the 100 years of gas engines, they have not released an alterantive(synthetic) fuel that is less polluting. This again comes from big oil, they make the money on fossil fuels and control it, there is no other alternative that they will allow. We can go to the moon, build a space station, are already dealing with nano technology...etc., but no alternative. We have E85, but engines use more of it as it has less BTU then regular gas. One last thing, vehicles are cleaner and get way better milage and the fuels are cleaner then before. Are we really much worse off now, environmentally, then say back in the '50's, when the boats they were driving were only getting a fraction of the milage, and what about there emission levels? Makes me wonder.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #9

Fan#: 61209
What I Drive: 2008 black SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Foxtrot685 Good Standing Member
the thing about hybrids is that they are more efficient on the city cycle where the gas engine can shut off, meaning you drive a lot in town. for those who drive on the highway, they may not see a huge gas savings over a conventional gas powered car and wont be able to recoupe the added cost in a timely manner. for this, we need more clean diesel technology. i cant tell you how many people i know who say "man, i bought a toyota highlander hybrid and it only gets about 23-27mpg on my 100 mile all highway commute to work..." and basiclly go on to call the hybrid a poor choice on their part

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.