Wagon conundrum - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64965
What I Drive: 07 Focus ZXWagon SE, CD Silver, MTX

FF Reputation: 1 akcapfoc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wagon conundrum

We're looking at two used small wagons for the same price, the Focus has a bit of warranty left, the Volvo has none:

2007 Focus ZXW SE, 15K miles, 5speed, sunroof
2004 Volvo V40, 30K miles, auto, leather, heated seats, sunroof etc.

The Focus offers better packaging: larger inside, occupants sit higher, lower liftover at the tailgate: we have a 62lb dog. The Focus is capable of getting much better mileage than the Volvo. The Focus has the built in MP3 capability. On the downside, the SE has pretty utilitarian (Wal Mart) fabric... the 07 ZX5's and ZX3's actually had a lot sweeter interior fabric.

The Volvo seems a lot classier, has "real" split rear seats, 1.9L Turbo, side curtain airbags, heated seats no MP3 capability.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
love my red focus

Fan#: 54938
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX4 SES w/SAP

Points 1,324, Level 20
Points: 1,324, Level: 20 Points: 1,324, Level: 20 Points: 1,324, Level: 20
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 lightning2nd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
the 07' has a duratec, plus you can mod it if you want to, and welcome
member of Focus Nation / Sedan Revolution#105 / Sap Crew#23 / Team Duratec#189 / Midwest Crew#31
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I posted the same thread over on the VW Vortex Car Lounge and got 35 or so responses... almost all of them dramatically in favor of the Focus. For some reason the question generated almost no interest here... on the Focus forum? Go figure.

Either way, I pulled the trigger on an 07 silver ZXW SE with 13K miles, 5-speed, sunroof, ABS and side airbags. I'm kinda stoked.

Question: will the seats from an 05-07 ZX3 or ZX5 fit the wagon? This boils down to the rear seats... I know the sedan rear seats won't fit, the seatback latch is center-located on the sedan, while twin latches are 'side' located on the hatch's and the wagon... are the rear seatbacks otherwise the same from hatch to wagon?

The car:

The dog (6.5 years, Boxer + Rott mix):

Old 06-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,893, Level 99
Points: 28,893, Level: 99 Points: 28,893, Level: 99 Points: 28,893, Level: 99
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I have no idea, but I doubt it. The differences between the models start at the back seat. Just like your suspension is different, we have shocks mounted outside the spring, but ZX5's have a shock tower with the shocks in the spring. We also have rear sway bars that most ZX5's don't. I think the consensus was that the shock towers limited the storage capability.

The wheels have to go though. You want some stock 15 alums to replace the steelies?
I didn't see the thread or I would've responded. Personally, I bought 17 x 7 Centerline wheels that when combined with the 215/45/17 tires ended up weighing the same as the 195/60/15's and stock 15 alum wheels that came on my car. Those and Rotas are about the only ones I know that are light enough to do that with.

OH, you are so lucky you went with the Focus instead of the Volvo with the 1.9T, I've heard bad things about that engine. Now if it was the 2.5 I5, it would've been the better car IMO, although mileage would've still been lower than the Focus.

If you know anyone who has a subscription to Consumer Reports online, check for Used Cars to look for- the 07 Focus is one.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Whynot... I'll be looking for some 15" alloys for the Wagon, in fact, but want to keep a fairly "stock" look, just somewhat more dressed out than the stock SE look.

The SES is more 'dressed out' than the SE, inside (tach, silver radio surround, silver guage surround) and out (fogs, alloys, paint match trim at rear)... I'll probably paint the mirror caps and perhaps the door handles and rear license plate trim.

I pick up the car Saturday!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.