Decisions?? Need advice - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 65499
What I Drive: 2007, Black, FX4

FF Reputation: 1 fastzx4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Decisions?? Need advice

Long story - My Dad & I went in together to buy a company car from his company. We know the guy who drove it & it was meticulously maintained @ company expense. 2007 Focus ZX4 ST. Loaded - 5sp leather, power roof, spoiler ... all the cool stuff. Perfect condition. Because it was a company car it has 69k miles. WOW for a 2007 that is a lot! - but we picked it up for a song. about half of average trade in value according to KBB & NADA.

We were planning to clean it up & sell it for profit. Because it is in my name I get to drive it until the title arrives.

Here is my problem. I love the car. I want to keep it.

The money is not the issue as I said before it was cheap. My issue is my wife said I could not keep both my car and my truck.

Not usually an issue, except I need the truck on occasion. Not as often as I might have thought, but still it does good when I need to haul for the farm.

What should I do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

Points 16,184, Level 81
Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
keep the focus and get rid of your wifes car
Old 05-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhh02a View Post
keep the focus and get rid of your wifes car
Now that is thinking out of the box!

You know - she really likes the focus too, because it will haul both kids, where the truck will not. I don't see a problem with keeping it. It's paid for. Doesn't everyone own a car & a truck? Did I mention it is a 98 f150 & I have a 1958 chevy apache (not running yet). She may be right three vehicles is too much for one man.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63711
What I Drive: 2009 Black Clearcoat Coupe SES

Points 2,644, Level 31
Points: 2,644, Level: 31 Points: 2,644, Level: 31 Points: 2,644, Level: 31
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 Eklipse113 Good Standing Member
lol at above reply. But why is your wife making this decision for you? I know marriage is about a combined partnership of two people in love and all... but the car is paid for, and the insurance might cost you 100 a month at most. Get her a new diamond ring and tell her she has to get rid of a different one to keep it
Tuned by Focus-Power (Tom)
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55362
What I Drive: 2009 Red SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 6 HGFireHazard Good Standing Member
I guess I would be curious as to what the wife's reasoning was. I would ask her to explain her position. Now if your family is already barely making ends meet as far as the monthly budget is concerned than I can understand where she is coming from, but if this is one of those 'just because I said so' reasons, than I would keep it and explain to her again how much money you saved on getting this specific Focus and how the truck will can be used for x, y, and z... and if you can specifically tailor x y and z to activities that would benefit the wife in your argument, hopefully she'll change her mind.

I swear I'll never get married because of things like this. I have 2 cars and a motorcycle and can only imagine someone trying to make me part with the motorized things I love.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Good advice guys - To explain, my wife is always worried about the bottom line. Me too, but she sometimes doesn't understand the benefits of owning a truck & a car, or the costs of not owning either.

I may just park the truck behind my garage. She will never go back there to see it. You know - out of sight out of mind!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
For you, the truck is not just transportation - it's a piece of farm equipment, a necessity. Unless there is no way at all to afford the car and the truck, you should be able to have both. The only caveat I would raise is did you agree with your wife on the 'investment' with your dad? Did you decide together what you were going to do with any of the profits? If you already agreed with your wife on those issues, you need to stand behind what you agreed to.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64256
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 2 flyracing1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, You need a daily driver man ! That is that. LOL... sometimes you cant win though.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Too old for this...

Fan#: 61490
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Mazda6 S

FF Reputation: 9 kjsoccerdude Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
I say find some way to keep the Focus. Do what has to be done.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

The wife likes the focus. I get to keep it! Now I just need to work on keeping the truck. Technically - I could keep the 58 & get it running. That would be good enough for the little I use my truck for.

But then again - maybe I fix it up & sell it instead? There are no deadlines - I have all the time I need to decide. Maybe I'll sell something this fall.

Thanks again -

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.