Car Buying tips from a new member (Dealership Manager) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1113
FF Reputation: 1 BigValleyFord Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Car Buying tips from a new member (Dealership Manager)

Buying a vehicle can be a hard process. You always wonder if you are getting the best deal. Well, no matter what dealship you go to. You should never have to pay more than the Edmunds true market value price.

Edmunds is the number one consumer information site for auto buying today. The True Market Value price is normally within a few dollars of the price you would get if you sat there and argued about it for five hours with the salesman. It's a really good deal and takes rebates into account as well!

To ge the Edmunds price for any new Focus just click on the link

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/ford...eader..0.ford*

And then click on the focus you would like a price on. Be sure to enter your zip code then click "Price with options" and select all the options you want (or the options the vehicle you are looking for has.)

Be sure that the Edmunds.com MSRP is the same as the MSRP on the vehicle. If it is not, something is not right.

You can then show up at the lot, or call the Intent Department (I run an Intenet Department and thus think that is what you should do lol!) with the Edmunds price for your vehicle and just tell them "This is what I'm paying and not any more than that!"

6 times out of 10 you will get it right away. if you don't, I would just move on to another lot. There are plenty, and "Well lets see" means no.

I will post other tips later on how to get a good deal on financing and warrenty among other things.

I will also work on a post about the best ways to deal with negitive equity in your vehicle, and even the best ways to sell it yourself with little or no money. :) Which ones would you like to see first, or any suggestions?

Last edited by BigValleyFord; 10-17-2003 at 06:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 04:55 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 517
What I Drive: 00 ZX3, 00 Dakota CC R/T

FF Reputation: 1 BIGBADWORM Good Standing Member
I've never bought a *NEW* vehicle, only cause I don't keep them long enough and the value drops dramatrically, but the #1 way to get a good deal....PAY CASH!!! BIGVALLEYFORD, you hook us up with some good deals??
Old 10-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

To be honest with you, if you pay cash you are taking about $500 in finance money the dealership calculates into their deal off the table. 99% of the time you will get LESS off the price of the vehcile.

Quick tip for fixing that: Pay cash but dont let them know! Here's how!

Work the deal as you normaly would. Talk about PRICE and TRADE IN and don't even ask about interest rate. If they ask you say "I DON'T CARE, WHATEVER" <--- This is the key line!

The eyes of the manager will pop open when his saleman gives him this information and he will see $$$$ in his eyes. This is GOOD for you! Heres how.

You keep grinding him on the price of the car, he will DROP it and say "You get your price but Your payments are ___ however." You say "Alright!"

The reason he just dropped the price and went after payment is he is going after something called "rate pay". Or a bonus we get paid by a bank for giving a higher rate than someone could otherwise get. This can get HUGE!

Here's the trick! Sign all the papers, do make sure that the price of the car is as you agreed, and then! .... Pay the car off the next day!

BAM!! The rate money is GONE and they sold the vehicle for less than they wanted to, and it costs you nothing.

Hey, this is good stuff! I should right a book! lol!

As for good deals. I don't think the owner of the forum would appreciate me advertising on here. :) For now, I'm just posting tips and Info.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Well I say my friend.......I think everyone will appreciate these tips. Keep em coming and welcome aboard......BTW, do you drive a focus?

Have you heard anything about the new model Mustangs, when theyre coming out and what the price range is? Just curious.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

I do I have a SVT Focus and a ford T-Bird as my personal vehicles. :) My Sister has a 4door Focus I just sold her. :)

I sure have! What would you like to know?
Old 10-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Hey man, welcome! Those are some pretty good tricks... wish you were around a couple months ago when I bought my Focus! Ah well, good to have ya on board now anyways!
Old 10-17-2003, 05:34 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 435
What I Drive: Focus ZX3 Liquid Grey Metallic w/ S

FF Reputation: 1 chameli74 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil PZEV
Hey man, welcome! Those are some pretty good tricks... wish you were around a couple months ago when I bought my Focus! Ah well, good to have ya on board now anyways!
My feelings exactly! I don't think that I got totally hosed but I'm sure that in the end, I could have save a little if I had known how to "bargain" OR if I had been willing to comparsion shop at other dealers.

However, I really liked the "feel" of the dealership that I went to (Miller Ford in Mt. Holly, NJ). I'd highly recommend them to anyone in South Jersey!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:30 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48
What I Drive: 04 Pitch Black SVT with Euro packag

FF Reputation: 1 bluebisz Good Standing Member
Same here man, I'm sure I left plenty in the dealer's pocket - even though I walked out on him after keeping the car for a day. Of course they called me with some new offers in the next few days and eventually I took it.

Anyways, welcome and good to have you on the board
Old 10-17-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Sp spill the beans......will the new model Mustang look like that concept that was shown at the shows? When will it debut and whats the price range?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:36 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Welcome aboard, nice info but the link you posted is broken.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.