Changing Antifreeze...... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 716
What I Drive: 1995 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 FocusFreak1587 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
Changing Antifreeze......

I was looking at some pics of some focus's engines, and i noticed taht everyone antifreeze was bright green, cause its farley new. Well i looked at my antifreeze, and its a light brown color.........I guess its time for a change?

1. Where is the drain plug to empty my radiator.
2. What mixture should i put in since winter is comming.
3.How much do i need to put in.
4. Is there anything else i should know?????

Thx for your help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
you should add the ford antifreeze...
the type is in the car's book....

Joel
Old 10-16-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

I bought my car used. I didnt get a book. Thats why i asked here. Can anyone help me out
Old 10-16-2003, 10:09 AM   #4
pio
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 198
What I Drive: 2014 focus electric

FF Reputation: 2 pio Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
hope this help...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum_a...TOPIC_ID=11958
Old 10-16-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44
What I Drive: 2000 SE - Zetec Swap

FF Reputation: 63 zappaMan Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just so you know, make sure you dispose of your old Anti-Freeze properly, you should be able to take it down to any oil changer place for disposal or even a toxic-waste roundup at your local community. Some dealerships will also recycle it correctly. There has been some information floating around the internet saying that it is okay to dump this in the sanitary sewer. DO NOT LISTEN TO IT! :D

Dumping antifreeze down the sewer will not only kill any bacteria that are used to process sanitary sewage but will also introduce many harsh heavy metals that cannot be removed with most cities treatment plants. Also do not dump this in a storm sewer either for obvious reasons.

Most cities have very serious fines for dumping antifreeze in their sanitary sewer.

Other then that have fun ;) I just flushed my Mom's 1973 Cutlass Supreme. Now there is a sweet ride
Old 10-16-2003, 10:29 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Is there any pics anywhere of wehre the drain screw/plug is? And i put it in where it says do not open when hot or whatever right??? And im just gonna use prestone antifreeze, the green stuff. So ill take a container of it pour it in a bucket, then fill up the container with water, then pour that into the same bucket, then add that to my radiator till its full???
Old 10-16-2003, 10:47 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44
What I Drive: 2000 SE - Zetec Swap

FF Reputation: 63 zappaMan Excellent Standing Member
I have never seen it, nor have I looked for it because I haven't ever flushed my focus. They generally are on the side of the radiator very close to the bottom, it may just look like a bolt (like the one on your oil pan) or it may be a thumbscrew with a spigot. Any mechanics here?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:12 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 468
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Ranger FX4

FF Reputation: 1 Houckster Good Standing Member
Exclamation New antifreeze

The green stuff which is of minimum quality has been, I'm almost sure, discontinued by Ford and the replacement fluid is a light gold color. 2002 and up years should have the new solution which is a nice improvement. When the green stuff truly deteriorates, it will be a dark green or almost brown green color. Definitely yucky to look at. If the color is a light brown and not really deep yellow, this may be rusty water. Let's hope this isn't the case! If it is, a chemical flush to remove the rust deposits will probably be necessary.

If you truly need to replace your fluid, make sure you do it right. zappaMan is right on about disposal and it's probably the first thing you should check on before you drain.

Doing this procedure yourself is going to be a real pain because of the low clearance of the Focus. Finding a shop that will flush and install your chosen antifreeze properly is a much better way to go. To do it right, getting the old stuff out completely is essential. BTW, I am almost sure that the drain for the radiator is directly on the bottom of the unit. It has no draincock by which you can control the flow. When you unscrew it, it's all going to come out in a hurry. This is another reason to have the work done professionally.

Adjust the heater dial to full hot so the antifreeze in the heat coil can be replaced. You don't have to turn the heater on. Any good shop will do this but doing it yourself can't hurt.

Buy about 2-3 gallons of distilled water for the water flushes. I am assuming that with the light brown color your antifreeze has, that the deposits in the engine are not that great. Distilled water is important as the impurities in tap water lead to cooling system corrosion. At $1 a gallon for distilled water, this is a step you can't afford to skip.

After completely filling with distilled water, drive the car for a few miles to completely circulate the water and then drain again. Then the antifreeze solution can be added. All antifreezes have an acceptable range of concentration. At the low end of the range, you get the best cooling. At the other end, you get the best corrosion resistance.

The very best coolant for the Focus is made by SynLube. I've had this in two cars and it has performed superbly. You will probably never need to change it since the service life for on-road usage is 300K miles.
Ghost of Focus' past : 2002 InfraRed Focus SVT w/everydarnthing, #3561. Tweaks: FocusSport stress bar, Silblades, Gorilla tuner lugs, Optima orbital battery, Ford bug shield, Ventshades, K&N air filter, Magnecor spark plug wires, SynLube 5W50 engine oil, MT gear oil and coolant, Redline PSF, X-Pel headlight and bumper shields, Autolite APP5364 plugs, FocusSport rear engine mount, Steeda Tri-X/AF short throw shifter.

Last edited by Houckster; 10-17-2003 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4610
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Focus ZX3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Noodles84 Good Standing Member
all you have to do is pull your bottom hose on your radiator, drain it, then put it back on... then you open your thermo... and remove the thermo, place the gasket and cap back on (this will make it so your car doesn't have to completely heat up before your start running coolant to your radiator). fill your coolant system with distilled water, and a bottle of the coolant flush to insure good cleaning. run your engine for like 8-10 mins. make sure you turn your heater on also, so that the flush will run through those coolant lines also. turn off your car, drain the flush water, and put new 50/50 mixture in (dont use the premade 50/50 coolant its best to mix it yourself.) your system holds 6.1 quarts. again make sure to use distilled water.\
your good to go
any questions pm me

billy
Old 10-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7144
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3, 1986 Mini

FF Reputation: 1 5speedZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
This any anyquestions you have would be better off on a mustang fourm.

AND YOU KNOW THIS MAN!!!

"It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.