Good Review :) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Fan#: 61209
What I Drive: 2008 black SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Foxtrot685 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good Review :)

The 2009 Focus SES coupe and SEL sedan get good marks from motorweek. apparently, motorweek has been testing a whole roundup of energy smart vehicles, like the focus, civic, aveo, and yaris even if they tested the same generation already. read here:

Under all Focus hoods is a carryover 2.0-liter inline-four rated at 140 horsepower and 136 pound-feet of torque when paired with a four-speed automatic. This transmission has a new final drive ratio for quicker acceleration on the SES Coupe. The coupe also gains three extra horses - to 143 - when it's equipped with our car's five-speed manual.

The top tier SES Coupe also gets your attention with a throatier new sport-tuned exhaust, and it's not totally just for show. Our Focus SES was quite peppy off the line, and quicker than we remember, while still economy car conservative. 0 to 60 is a respectable 8.1 seconds, with a more labored quarter-mile of 16.3 seconds at 88 miles-per-hour. Shifts, however, were nicely firm and precise for a domestic manual gearbox.

But it's this car's focus on the environment that continues to impress. Government Fuel Economy Ratings are 24 city/35 highway with a manual, while Focus owners say they're getting 31.7 miles-per-gallon of regular in real-world driving.

The Focus has a modest Energy Impact Score of 12.2 barrels of oil consumed per year, and an earth-friendly Carbon Footprint of just 6.6 annual tons of CO2. There's even a Partial Zero Emissions version of the Focus for California emission states.

For a compact commuter, the Focus is a capable driver. Sure, it's tuned a little soft to handle potholes, but it still has easy turn-ins and delivers adequate confidence in corners. New suspension tuning exclusive to our SES certainly helps in this area, as does Electronic Stability Control, which is now available across the lineup.

Within, the Focus cabin retains its clean and orderly appearance. The instrument layout is upscale-Euro, all the way up to its dash-top status screen. Gauges strive for a Mustang theme.

The 2009 Ford Focus remains a solid small car option, but takes this premise to the next step. The coupe now benefits from a little extra show, on the surface and under the hood, while the sedan ups the ante in higher-end appeal. The result is a far better than average commuter package, and one that we bet will be the focus of even more smart consumers in the future.

the full article: http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2828b.shtml

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,383, Level 57
Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
motorweek has never given a bad review to any car. ever. just sayin.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56873
What I Drive: 00 ZTS, 04 SVT EAP, 03 ZTW

FF Reputation: 54 SPIman2.0 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
^^^ Correction, Motorweek HAS given a bad review or two. They gave the mazda protoge a bad review back in '04 as well as the chevy caviler back in '03. I try to keep up with it and I save all the "BAD" reviews they dish out.

I think they were right on this one. They obviously liked it, and I think they got a lot of the key points right. The coupe is pretty peppy, and the sedan is just as good if not better than a camry. Ford stepped it up, and I think they're headed in the right direction.
Sedan Revolution #161
SPI Owners Club #1
RIP 03 Sedan: She will be missed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Yup, the Focus is perfect for the emo in everyone ...
Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

Points 7,383, Level 57
Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57 Points: 7,383, Level: 57
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIman2.0 View Post
^^^ Correction, Motorweek HAS given a bad review or two. They gave the mazda protoge a bad review back in '04 as well as the chevy caviler back in '03. I try to keep up with it and I save all the "BAD" reviews they dish out.
there was no 2004 protege. 2004 was the first year of the 3. i have watched motorweek since i was about ten years old(when i see that it is on) and have NEVER seen them give an overall bad review of a car. they always try to put a positive spin on things.

in all honesty, motorweek isnt really a show geared towards car enthusiasts. it is more for the general public that wants to know how many cupholders a car has or how many screaming children they can fit in the backseat.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #5

motorweek doesnt throw their biased opinions in every 5 seconds in the review like other car publications. they just tell you this is the car, this is what it drives like, this is the interior, heres your performance data, heres the price, and heres a very short paragraph on what we think. john davis has stated before that his show is not designed to bash or praise any one car, but to give the viewer an overall idea of what the car is like to live with in a 5-7 minute review. john will say if something is a bad idea or bad design or if it handles like crap but unlike other car reviews, one bad mistake doesnt send him into car bashing mode and he'll give credit where its due. for this i respect his show a lot more than any other publication out there.

i mainly posted this up because finally someone has given us pretty reliable 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the new focus!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot685 View Post
motorweek doesnt throw their biased opinions in every 5 seconds in the review like other car publications. they just tell you this is the car, this is what it drives like, this is the interior, heres your performance data, heres the price, and heres a very short paragraph on what we think. john davis has stated before that his show is not designed to bash or praise any one car, but to give the viewer an overall idea of what the car is like to live with in a 5-7 minute review. john will say if something is a bad idea or bad design or if it handles like crap but unlike other car reviews, one bad mistake doesnt send him into car bashing mode and he'll give credit where its due. for this i respect his show a lot more than any other publication out there.

i mainly posted this up because finally someone has given us pretty reliable 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the new focus!
X2, been watching it for years now, good reviews, no bias, but if something is downgraded or crap, they will say it. This was a good review that I mostly agree with.

BTW, here's a fun fact for you guys, someone on this forum has been a driver for them in a number of episodes for motorweek. I'll let them speak up if they want to be identified.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #7

that would be really cool if they spoke up! i wonder who it is??? i love the show and im glad they started putting the youtube clips up for people who cant quite recieve PBS... that was a great idea!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.