What I'll miss about my 2003 ZX3 SVT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What I'll miss about my 2003 ZX3 SVT

I am trading in my SVT for a 2009 SES Coupe. The reasons are posted elsewhere. These are the things I know I will miss.
The way it handles. This car is one of the best handling cars I have ever owned. I have driven better, but owned only two others that even come close. Those two cars were virtually the same, they are a 1969 Triumph Spitfire which I purchased used in 1975. The other is the 1979 Triumph Spitefire 1500. I was living in So Cal at the time, and I loved driving on the twisty back roads of Orange and San Diego counties. The Spitefire had independent rear suspension and had very little ground clearance. If any of you have ever driven British cars, you know what I mean.

I'll miss it's edgy good looks.

I'll miss the finger tip controls for the sound system. The new Foci have audio controls on the steering wheel, which is nice, but the buttons are very crowded and you have to look down to hit the right one. The SVT's control was easy to use, you just reached out with your left middle finger.

I'll miss the fact that the SVT is a real sleeper. I have had fun making people do a double take when you blast off from a stop. They are like.... a Focus, what the ........

I'll miss the 6 speed gertag transmission. It was a joy to shift, and having that 6th gear was great.

I'll miss the hatch. I don;t know why the brains in Detroit did away with it, it is a nice feature.

I'll miss the SVT white back ground on the instrument panel, the oil pressure and oil temp gages they but in that small triangle that is a unusable cubbie on the non SVT.

I'll miss having 4 way disc brakes. Drum brakes in the rear are a real cop out, and Ford sucks for using them in this day and age!!

I'll miss the fact that the steering wheel adjust for closer or further away from you, the non SVT only has a rake adjustment, another cheapo cop out!!
The SES Coupe's steering wheel is leather wrapped, but it feels and looks cheap in comparison.

I am going to miss this car so fing much!! But, I need to get out of it. It is getting old, and trade in value is dropping like a stone. I won't miss having to put premium gas in it though. Man that was killing me two years ago. It was almost $5.00 a gallon.

The new car is being built for me as no one within 1500 mile of me had one with all the options I wanted. I report back when I get it, and send some photos too. You SVT drivers know what I am talking about. What would you miss if you traded or sold yours?
Bill

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
Banned

Fan#: 49925
What I Drive: 2004 red SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 jgustafson Good Standing Member
Not if I got what I wanted, a new GTI MKV. However, I don't think I could trade it for any used car, even slightly used. I would need a fresh start.

The SVT definitely has something special to it though, like a spark, or a twinkle in its eye. Its the only way I can explain it. I get so frustrated with the car and then out of no where i will like it all over again after one day it decides to fly right and drive well, then I realize how much fun it is, how much I used to love it. I understand there are faster cars out there yet I repeatedly come back to my car as the best solution. I think its the fact that this car is almost the perfect sweet spot in the automotive world.

Looks, handling, decent power, price, interior. I look around the car world and every car I like I would have to sacrifice something from my car that I couldn't go without, new or used. Either its faster but the interior is worse, or its really good but way to expensive, etc. If the SVT had more bolt on potential, and wasn't showing its age so quickly it would be a no brainer to keep. However thats not the case, and although I continue to come back to it, progressive problems are trying my patience, and draining my wallet as to not be cost productive to hold onto it.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
My car used to frustrate the hell out of me, ironically once it went out of warranty it started behaving. It's been good to me for years now. It even still has the original 7 year old battery. I didn't give it up when I got another car. The resale value/trade value does suck so I figured why not. I'm keeping it for as long as I am able to. It's in better condition than the "new" car I got to replace it. I just drove it today and when walking back to it in the parking lot had to stop for a second and just admire the Sonic Blue paint on the first sunny day we've had in weeks.

I wholeheartedly agree on the steering column radio controls. I have yet to drive a car with a more intuitive and easy-to-use set of remote controls.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Banned

Fan#: 49925
What I Drive: 2004 red SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 jgustafson Good Standing Member
Definitely agree with oyu on the second glance, I always find myself sneaking a peek
Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 28,219, Level 98
Points: 28,219, Level: 98 Points: 28,219, Level: 98 Points: 28,219, Level: 98
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
how much did they give you for a trade?

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9409
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST (Preferred Blue)

Points 10,721, Level 68
Points: 10,721, Level: 68 Points: 10,721, Level: 68 Points: 10,721, Level: 68
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 37 captcomputer Great Standing Member
I would miss the awesome Sonic Blue Color. The MS3 was passed up because of the lack of a Poppin Blue color. Sunroof is a must. Takeoff without torque steer is a must. Factory Sub is a must. In the winer the Bun warmers are just frickin sweet.
As mentioned before, the disc brakes all the way around are a necessity with a pocket rocket. The color matched interior was just a big bonus.
"You're my boy Blue"
(Former)Blue Focus Owners
Old 03-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 29836
What I Drive: 2008 MS3

FF Reputation: 8 focusdarko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
i feel you big time. I sold my EAP SVT and took over my moms then brothers now mine 2006 Jeep Liberty 4x2 6 speed. It sits higher than i like, i like being low. It is slow. It shifts like crap, gets 18 mpg highway It has crappy cloth interior that is not comfortable at all, i miss my leather recaro's so much. I miss my yellow Homer J SVT focus...
Old 03-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I miss the incredibly sharp steering and nicely balanced chassis. I miss the amazingly ergonomic radio control. I miss the whine of the supercharger bleating when I stepped on it. I miss the goofy but convenient high seating position.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i would miss the rev happy zetec engine. and the hatch body style that makes mine a cocky little squirt around bigger more powerful cars.

as for rear drums thats easily solved with a swap now. so i'll misss them for a short time (my regualr old zetec has rear discs)

but since i'm just keeping it after its paid for i wont ever miss any of that. and she'll be around for a long time to come, you can bet on that.
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Seems like a lot of people are snapping and buying the '08/'09 Focus after trading in their Mk1 or Mk2 model. The Fiesta is less than a year away for its US release, isn't it? What's the reason behind people not being able to wait for it? Do they dislike the Fiesta's style or specs?

I'm only saying this because I know a lot of people miss the hatchbacks, and the '08/'09 models didn't appeal to me at all. The Fiesta is probably as close to a ZX3 as you're going to get with Ford's future lineup. Given its high marks by European reviews, it also seems to be superior as far as handling and features go.

I don't mean to make anyone regret their '08/'09 purchase or anything, but I'm just curious why the Fiesta was skipped (if it was intentional)?

PS: I miss my ZX3 with SVT mods too. I have yet to own a car that handles corners better than it. But I just needed something faster and safer for my 60 mile daily commute through the PA Turnpike. I'm hoping that the suspension upgrade I'm planning will kill the stock body roll.

EDIT: Nevermind, the Fiesta ST was shelved. I'm not sure I would recommend it anymore (at least for now). I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing a sport model trim of the new Focus either. With all due respect I don't mean to bash Ford... but It's crap like this that makes me glad I switched out. At the same time it breaks my heart because I KNOW we could be getting better stuff if they'd just pull their head out of their butts. Sigh...

Last edited by mmmoose; 03-05-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.