1st tank of gas-'09 Focus auto-28mpg - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61768
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE-5spd Silver

FF Reputation: 0 cbr1100xx Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1st tank of gas-'09 Focus auto-28mpg

filled up after the pump clicked a few times and kept going. Squeezed 12 gallons and had 336.1 on the trip. Not too bad for highway and stop and go combined. My commute has some of both. I cruise at 75-80 on the hwy..and while I'm not a lead foot, I'm usually always 10mph or so over the speed limit in most cases. All in all I'm pretty pleased with my first tank mileage and the car

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Welcome to FF. You'll find a lot of great info here and a bunch of nice guys and gals that love to share information.

When your ready to start making modifications to that baby this is the place.

I'll throw this one out right now. Ground your throttle body! You'll get better throttle response and may even see an increase in MPG.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 02-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
Welcome to FF. You'll find a lot of great info here and a bunch of nice guys and gals that love to share information.

When your ready to start making modifications to that baby this is the place.

I'll throw this one out right now. Ground your throttle body! You'll get better throttle response and may even see an increase in MPG.
How do you "ground the throttle body"? Actually I had a Mustang GT and other modded cars. I got the Focus for the specific reason to leave it alone and keep it stock. I just wanted an economy car for the mileage and size.
I've done all my modding on my sportbikes :)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Stock

Fan#: 21396
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3; 03 ZX3 PZEV

Points 9,880, Level 66
Points: 9,880, Level: 66 Points: 9,880, Level: 66 Points: 9,880, Level: 66
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 13 Wagamos Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yeah sure, thats what we all said at one point.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Seriously I highly doubt it. I like cars but the Focus is for A to B really. I only really drive it when it's raining, on weekends when taking my dogs out hiking or to the beach with the girlfriend.

The rest of the time it's cbr1100xx or sv1000 which are just insane fun to me.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I got the Focus for the specific reason to leave it alone and keep it stock. I just wanted an economy car for the mileage and size.
OK, stop laughing at him that's not nice.

I purchased my Focus for the exact same reason. In fact we bought it one week after we bought our Edge, specifically to use as our commuter car. I had no plans at all to modify it. Check my profile and look at my current modifications, some how my original plans got changed.

Be careful, it's all FF's fault! The more you hang around here the more your money seems to go from your wallet to your Focus.

Anyway, the TB ground is an easy one. Get some nice 4 gauge power/ground cable and a couple of lugs from your auto parts store. Make a cable long enough to go from one of the four bolts on your throttle body to the neg. on the battery. You're done.

I've personally done this on my own and four other 08's. One of those 08's even belonged to a Ford Salesman. Every single time the owner couldn't wait to call me and tell me what a difference it made in the throttle response.

A little background: The 08' was the first year Ford changed the Focus to a fly-by-wire throttle. Myself and numerous other 08/09 owners swear by this simple modification. And of course there are some that think it's a waist of time and money. Try it, if you don't like it you can always take it off.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
OK, stop laughing at him that's not nice.

I purchased my Focus for the exact same reason. In fact we bought it one week after we bought our Edge, specifically to use as our commuter car. I had no plans at all to modify it. Check my profile and look at my current modifications, some how my original plans got changed.

Be careful, it's all FF's fault! The more you hang around here the more your money seems to go from your wallet to your Focus.

Anyway, the TB ground is an easy one. Get some nice 4 gauge power/ground cable and a couple of lugs from your auto parts store. Make a cable long enough to go from one of the four bolts on your throttle body to the neg. on the battery. You're done.
Thanks for the tip. And I know what you mean about the modding bug. I dumped a couple grand into my last Mustang. And looking back, I wished I would have left it the hell alone (aside from the mufflers). I remember how much I enjoyed it stock. Hate to say it but the only mod this Focus will ever see is tinted windows. Before the Mustang I had a Mazda Protege for 8 years and didn't do one thing to it...nor cared to. I simply could care less about squeezing any more hp or sound out of a 140hp car. It's quiet and relaxing to drive which is just what I'm looking for when I'm not on my bikes. If I didn't have 2 other machines that can rocket to 150mph on a steep incline, then I'd be more likely to mess with the Focus or better yet....would have kept the Mustang.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Don't let these guys get to you....after you get off a really fast motorcycle, or a fast car, the thought of trying to make your Focus go fast is silly. But there are plenty of other mods you might consider. I've had a blast working mine since I got it.....but not a single go-fast mod.

And that MPG thing.....that's about what I'm getting on my '06 automatic (in warmer weather than right now). You'll find a lot of talk about 40+ MPGs....but it's just talk. Your/my Focus is not a super high-MPG vehicle, compared to a number of similar-sized cars. 28MPH is ok.....
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Subcompact Fanatic

Fan#: 43017
What I Drive: 1997 Ford Aspire White

FF Reputation: 9 DURATECoftheDesert Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That seems about right, I always get by perfect 28 each gas visit.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 242
What I Drive: 2003 TwiBlue 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Lil PZEV Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Best I've gotten on my auto, with an incurable lead foot is 34.4, over 5 years of records. My engine isn't exactly yours, but they're close enough to count.

That being said, there have been many times that I've broken 30, and 33 isn't all that rare (according to my friend Excel).. I never "top off" the tank or keep clicking either, the mileage is very reasonable (esp for a non-hybrid auto, IMO!)

And to FF! Like others have said, we can be a bad influence, but it's not always such a bad thing- I'm sure you know the feeling

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.