What Classifies a car as being "American"? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
What Classifies a car as being "American"?

So many people say, "Buy American".. What does that Mean?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123265601944607285.html

Thoughts on the article? Read the article before responding please.
Thanks
Dan

gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Ignorance comes to mind when I hear "Buy American!". People see the big3 as the only real American auto manufactures when really a lot of the "foreign" car company's are more American than say a Chevy. Pretty interesting article and I wish more people would inform themselves before they open their mouths.

Sorta off topic but similar thought, this article on the Prius should be more publicized so all those smug bastards in your "evironmentally friendly" hybrids could learn a thing or two.
Prius Environmental Impact

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #3
Banned

Fan#: 49925
What I Drive: 2004 red SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 jgustafson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I really just see it as where the profits go.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
Obama Can't Gymkhana

^^Profits are turned back into the company to make more profit. This means much of the profit gets pumped in to other countries economies. I know Obama and team is trying to pass a bill to get the big three to use American metals. But I dont think that will be wise. That will increase material costs for a company that is already Losing too much money. He also is trying to pass a bill to increase emissions. Again, more materials, and operating expense for an already failing company.

Buy American, Buy a Canadian Crown Vic. LOL :)
gumpcrew#10
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51817
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 TommyBlackST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgustafson View Post
I really just see it as where the profits go.
X2... where the money goes in the end...

EDIT ... and of course it will go to the government (U.S.) or white collar million/billion - aires...

or somewhere else apart from the American worker/consumer... the later of course needing it most...

I don't think I ever answered the original question actually... It is a confusing question if you really think about it.
ST CREW #84
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 49925
What I Drive: 2004 red SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 jgustafson Good Standing Member
The fact is that the economy is so globalized the term "domestic" can't really be used by anybody. However, this can and should be changed. I really think there should be a standard set to count as domestic company (automotive or otherwise) that would include that 60% of your workforce are legal U.S. citizens and over 50% of an automobiles or products parts coming from suppliers that meet this standard also. Tax breaks should then be included for companies that meet this criteria, and tariffs be placed on companies that do not comply.

This would stimulate more domestic businesses to start up and eventually pull down the prices of raw materials such as American steel and other objects, supply more jobs to citizens, and offset the cost of foreign labor and products.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52919
What I Drive: 2003 While LX Sedan

FF Reputation: -11 zlaja Needs To Improve
i see it i not as where the money goes at the end, but as which workers the money goes too ?
does that make sense...the only reason i would buy an "american" car is to support those who made it...well until now....now i have no reason to buy an american car(only drive the focus because my dad gave it to me....not saying i dont love my focus tho, i would just not buy one)
Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43460
What I Drive: 2007 pitch black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 16 zx32nr Great Standing Member
well to answer you question "what would classify a car as being american"

it is great that other companies have plants here in america, but that is penny's for america and billions to japan.

i would have to say what would classify an american car would be if all of the profits benifitted our economy.
toyota may have plants here but that huge check at the end of the week is getting shipped overseas.

as for you svt_bmxer
i didnt read your article that you posted but i will later because i need to get some work done.
if you watch top gear they read about a study that said it would be more economical to own a land rover discovery than to own a prius.
all of the sulfer mining and the pollution to get all of the sulfer to japan in order to put into batteries does soo much more damage than just owning a normal suv.

i used to look at people in a different way that drove a prius but now that i know that and they didnt study before they bought their car's i love to cut them off. lol

good find on the article though
Zetec Crew #175
REP WHEN REP IS DUE
shorty header, magnaflow 2 1/2 catback, 65mm TB, pipercross viper, cfm pully set, sct reflash, steeda STS, screemin deamon coil, livewires, and a damn good driver
Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Obama Can't Gymkhana

HHuumm! Interesting opinions. Im going to put a twist on some things. Many said, its where the profits go. Like I said up top, Profits are used to different ways, distributed To the share holders (Which are not all Americans) or pumped back into the company to make a better product. This means a lot of the Auto Makers profits go to other countries such as Canada and Mexico. Our Focus, for example, brought lots of money to Europe and Mexico. (Does anyone has a chart laying out where all the parts were made?)
Another thing to think about, What happens if there is no profit? This is what is happening now. (I wish there was a layout of how much money really gets pumped back into the US.)

These are just thoughts that were flying through my head.
gumpcrew#10
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #10
Salmontheotherpinkmt

Fan#: 48170
What I Drive: 2003 infra-red svt/07 Shelby GT-500

FF Reputation: 2 sctrooperlx Good Standing Member
I know alot of you new cars tell you how much on the window sticker in a % form.As to how much is american and how much is import.
Gumpcrew#12
I live with fear and sometimes she lets me drive her SVTF!
"i <3 my wife's & gf's (.)(.)". HA!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.