New and wondering - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60517
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Torrimac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New and wondering

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums and am also new at performance upgrades for my focus.

I have a 2003 ZX3 with around 60k miles on it. I drive like an old man most of the time because i used to be a stickler for gas mileage. Now I am in the Army and coming home from Iraq and I want to make my car a bit more sporty. I do not want to change the outer appearance of the car at all. I guess this is called a "Sleeper". I dont want to spend a load of money but I was thinking around 2 to 5 grand on it.

My car has next to none as far as options go. AC and thats it. 5 speed and a new head unit.

I am a fairly decent wrench turner and can figure most things out on my own. Please let me know any ideas you might have for me. I read the " make it go faster" forum but I was hoping for some new ideas.

Oh and will a "chip" work for a car with a manual transmission like this?

T-mac

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57791
What I Drive: 2005 Red Focus ZX4

FF Reputation: 6 levin.matthew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well...first off......and... !

I would recomend getting an exhaust, CAI, a tune, and putting a turbo on it. I'm not really speaking from experiance or anything on the turbo but my friend has a zx3 with a turbo and he loves it. I would like to turbo my fofo but don't have the cash.

Sorry, I know nothing about a chip and if it will work on a manual tranny. I'm sure someone else that knowns this will post a reply to this thread.

And you said you were comming back from Iraq...I just wanted to personally say that I appreciate all the work you do protecting our freedom. Keep it up!!!

-2005 Red Focus ZX4
"Dirgous"
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52834
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 22 Weldman0730 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You can probably go FI with 2-5K, with a used turbo kit or supercharger(maybe new, I dont know), that is the cheapest, easiest way to go faster plus its always upgradable.

Staying NA is expensive and requires a lot of head work if you truly want all the power, or possibly buying a ported and decked head like Tom or FR sells(this is the best upgrade IMO for a NA zetec). Zetec focus's top out at around 160-165 whp it seems with all the NA work you can do.

A basic turbo kit can give you around 180whp, which is a lot for these little cars, for a lot less work.

Welcome to the forum
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58755
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Silver Bullet II Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Intake, exhaust, tune, etc. but I don't think turbo is the best idea. Upgrade the suspension and get disc brakes in the back and take it from there.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Welcome!!!!!!!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.