Help, I think I inherited a problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60479
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus se Gold

FF Reputation: 1 FingOwnersRealDumb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help, I think I inherited a problem

Hello, I am new to this place, this is my first post and I could really use some help.

I have recently bought(one week ago) a 2001 focus se with 174xxx miles on it, it seemed to run fine, just some rough idling when the heat or air was on. I looked on this site and saw it might be related to a leaking pvc hose and sure enough i just found the leak and used some gorilla tape. Since it was leaking right at the pvc valve i just taped the whole thing. Car doesn't idle rough at all anymore, how ever it is now smoking from the tail pipe like crazy. It is a white smoke that gets my hands wet and becomes much worse when in gear and accelerating (this is an auto). Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Oh yeah and one more thing: So far this has only happened to me twice but when I go to crank the car it doesn't want to start, just the lights come on, all of them including interior and exterior. Although not even a clicking sound comes from the starter, there is absolutely no noise.

Can anyone please please please help me with these problems? I would be so greatfull, thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Slow n lifted

Fan#: 44983
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus

Points 10,198, Level 67
Points: 10,198, Level: 67 Points: 10,198, Level: 67 Points: 10,198, Level: 67
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 21 egman2005 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
white smoke can either be a head gasket issue or possibly burning oil
Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,445, Level 99
Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99 Points: 29,445, Level: 99
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wait a while on the smoke. It could be that incomplete combustion caused carbon buildup in the combustion chambers that is now burning off. Carbonization has a certain stink to it when it burns off, and is a stark white smoke. Oil smoke is generally called grey or blue, and has a different stink to it.

However, you did say that it gets your hands wet, are you sure this is smoke, not steam? If it is steam, then that would indicate a head gasket or intake manifold gasket. Check your coolant to see if you're losing any, and keep an eye on it so you can tell if it's getting worse. You might also want to check the oil for signs of coolant getting in the oil which would show up as a peanut butter looking substance on the bottom of the dipstick.

This is the wrong forum anyway, you should've posted this in Technical chat, but no need to go there and post now, a moderator for this forum will move it

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51605
What I Drive: 2009, Blue, SES

FF Reputation: 1 Rob06ZX3 Good Standing Member
it could be the head gasket, when the engine reaches operating tempature and if it is still smoking, a thicker white smoke thats coolant reaching the combustion chamber and then continuing threw to the CAT where it gets "burned" really boiled into steam.

Oil, will give you a Blue tinged cloud on hard acceleration, and if its really thick smoke and you think theres oil, pull the spark plugs... if they have an oily film on them not just dry carbon that could be your problem.

if you pull the spark plugs, and the tips are not oily but wet, it could be dumping to much fuel into the cylinder(s) and not being able to burn it and pasing it threw the cat and creating smoke because of eccess fuel and possibly water (condinsation) in the fuel.

check the oil for coolant, you can smell coolant in the oil. Litterly sniff the dipstick. i do it all the time to determin if theres Gas, diesel, coolant in the oil. if there is... change the oil and filter let the oil and filter off for a few hours to "dry" out some moisture that dosnt belong.

if all of thouse are clear... well then.. ill ponder some more possibilitys :)
09 Focus SES
00' Jetta TDI, 50MPG 5 speed
Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #5
MOAR BEWST!!!!

Fan#: 58428
What I Drive: 2001 ZTS, 2002 SVTF Turbocharged

Points 6,866, Level 54
Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54 Points: 6,866, Level: 54
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 svtf1417 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Every time i hear about white smoke in large quantities coming from an exhaust pipe when its not cold out and/or the engine is already up to running temp....its for sure coolant, but you need to tell us if this is just when your starting it up for the first time in the morning and leaving your driveway or it happens all the time no matter what.

- Happens all the time = head gasket and check your oil for coolant or coolant for oil
- Happens only in the morning or when the cars cold = your fine all cars do it
[#1417] 2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus
Born on June 25, 2002

2001 Silver ZTS Sedan - "Ol' Reliable"
Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60423
What I Drive: 2009 Silver SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 the Duff Good Standing Member
Its not necessarily a head gasket. Actually I've never seen one go bad on a Focus. Doesn't mean it won't. One peculiar smoking tail pipe I had at the shop once was a massive master cylinder leak. It filled the brake booster with brake fluid and the vacuum line sent it into the intake manifold. Huge clouds of white smoke. Now this was definately a freak and your brake warning indicator would be coming on, but it just goes to show you that things might not be what they seem. I would lean more toward a bunch of engine oil in the intake since your pcv wasn't working very well for a long time due to the vacuum leak. I would also recommend you replace your pcv tube rather than taping it. Wouldn't hurt to replace the valve either. Check engine light on I presume?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.