MPG secrets? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55958
What I Drive: 2000 lx

FF Reputation: 1 Gregorzzz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
MPG secrets?

I was talkin with my roommate thursday after school about MPG and he told me about putting pure acetone in your gas, about 3 oz for every ten gallons of gas. He's been doing it to his old ranger pick up and it helped boost his gas millage.

I read a little info on the internet and decided what the heck. I had to drive back home this weekend so I figured it's a good time to test it out.

I've taken the trip from here to home several times and I use 3/4 of a tank one way. On my way home, filled up and with 3 ounces of acetone, I got home with just a little over 1/4 of a tank left over. On my way back today I filled up and added 3 more ounces because the measurement would be around what he said for a 14 gallon tank. I came back with half a tank and no change in driving habits.

I dont really advice anyone to do this without looking or asking questions about it unless you are willing to fix what you broke. I'm gonna talk to my instructors sometime this week to see what they say about this.

Until then does anyone have input on this or any other gas saving secrets other then driving like a regular person

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Basically.....you're wasting your time trying to make any MPG calculations using the fuel gauge. It's not accurate enough to do anything other than give you a rough estimate.

Fill up the tank all the way, and note the mileage on the odometer. The next time you fill up, note the amount of gas used, and the miles driven. Divide the gallons into the miles. That is the only way to get reasonably accurate MPG numbers.

And even that is not 100%. Factors like how much highway/town driving you did, the ambient temperature, etc.......all play a role in MPG figures.

There's really no magic bullet. A Steeda SRI gave me a +3mpg gain, probably because my stock air filter was partially clogged. Nothing else I tried did anything at all.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 55338
What I Drive: 2000 VW Passat TDI

FF Reputation: 3 Executionerhk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
acetone WILL EAT OUR FUEL LINE... because our fuel line is pastic...
that is based on what I read before...

just take care of your car and drive like a granny...
fuel filter, air filter, plug and wires... oil change...
tire pressure is improtant...
and try not to drive against the wind LOL!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
Proudly Daily Driven

Fan#: 47890
What I Drive: 2005 Focus ST

Points 5,921, Level 49
Points: 5,921, Level: 49 Points: 5,921, Level: 49 Points: 5,921, Level: 49
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 mtadd162 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
yea i gave up...i feel like when im trying to conserve gas i dont...and when i actually drive the car (to within reason) my tank last longer
-ST Crew #73 N/A FTW!
Feb. 09' ROTM
SSR - Silver Sedan Revolution Member #1
Cams Installed, great made my car into a VTAK
Old 10-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,551, Level 99
Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99 Points: 28,551, Level: 99
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No acetone won't eat up your fuel line. It comes in plastic containers at your local drugstore. It will eat certain plastics like plastic cups, but only a 100% solution, and only clear plastic cups. The plastics in the fuel line are safe as well as being like 1/8 thick. The approximate mix ratio would be 3/1792 which is 3 oz divided by 14 gallons yielding a mix of .16%. Don't confuse that with 16%, I stated correctly that it is .16% or .0016.

However, you won't see much of a difference at any rate. I ran a mix of acetone and xylene in my car for over a year. It was a pain in the ass to have bottles of mix on hand for when you went to the fuel station, and I only ever gained about 3 mpg from all the effort. Once E10 became more common, I noticed that it barely made a difference at all- in fact, I noted a small drop in fuel economy. Don't take my word for it, go ahead and do your own tests. You don't have the same engine I do, and that does make a difference. I found that a lower amount of mix than what you're doing made more of a difference, and keep in mind that you never drain your tank, so you will increase the ratio over time. Every 3rd tank, I did not add anything. Like I said, it becomes a pain in the ass.

I also tested magnets. These work, but absolutely no magnetic fuel saver for sale online will work. You must use extremely dangerous high strength neodymium magnets specially designed for high heat applications, and even these do not last a year without some sort of insulating treatment. Neo magnets lose magnetism when placed in high heat, and SmCo magnets are not powerful enough to have an effect. To further illustrate the power of what you have to use- you should be able to lift your hood with one of these magnets. You will not physically be able to pull these magnets apart, and you must be careful to place them on the fuel line somewhere 6-10" away from any electronic parts. For all your trouble, you'll notice lowered emissions, and a 3 mpg bump. It's not much for all you have to do to get it to work. I've been working on round 2 of my magnet experiment which led me to order very expensive insulating paint, a new fuel line to re-route my existing line away from the exhaust manifold, $80 worth of N42 magnets, stainless steel (non-magnetic) nuts and bolts, and aluminum frame parts. I have to build the aluminum frame myself. Fortunately I work with metal a lot, and I have the earlier model to go by. It's just going to be a long process and nothing I'd recommend to anyone else. I know from my earlier experiments that these do not work in conjunction with acetone for a 6 mpg boost. For some reason the two seem to work against each other.

HOH injection seems to work from everyone I know who's tried it. There are free resources available on how to design a system, but you'll have to build everything yourself. Iron blocks and heads will be more durable. A boost of HOH could damage the combustion chamber of aluminum heads due to the higher heat. Also, for the maximum effect, the engine should be dyno tuned with the device working to compensate for irregular O2 sensor readings. The sensor is very likely to read leaner than the mix is actually due to the injection of oxygen.

Ok, how about some things that anyone can do outside the of pseudo science experiments.

1) standard spark plugs. These offer more spark and a much lower price, but must be changed regularly, and cleaned and checked with every oil change to maintain efficiency. All other plug claims are garbage except for silver core plugs which are not worth $50+ each. More prongs do not do you any good since electricity follows the path of least resistance always- there will only be ONE spark. The only benefit is that the spark will generate between the cleanest anode and the diode at the time it's initiated.
2) Drive slower (duh) I notice a 4 mpg difference between 70 and 55 on the interstate portion of the drive to work.
3) Brake earlier. When possible you might be able to cruise up to a light that has been red without stopping and that will save you a lot of fuel. It doesn't happen very often, but it's worth changing your driving habits.
4)Change your fuel filter regularly. The service interval is 25k miles. If your filter is over 25k miles old, you need a new one. This does have an effect on fuel economy.
5)Check brands of fuel, and stations. Different stations have different tanks in the ground. Some might be corroded or leaking in contaminants like water which even in low concentrations can drastically reduce fuel economy. I've also noticed as much as a 3 mpg difference between brands of fuel. Yet every vehicle is different, so you have to experiment for yourself. If you can fill up in the morning, that's the best time when the fuel is coldest in the ground. That alone is not much of a difference, but it does help. Your own experiments will prove it.
6)Air intakes. Almost everyone has reported a slight gain in fuel economy by adding a free flowing air filter or air intake. I noticed 4 solid mpg difference with my Aerostar by adding a K&N filter, and cutting holes in the stock airbox for more flow.
7)O2 sensors. If no code is thrown, these do go bad over time. I'd replace them every 50k - 75k miles. Don't try to save money by getting a generic sensor. The OEM sensors are best because they will connect directly to where your original sensor connected without splicing.
8)Insulate your fuel line. Use some sort of dense fiberglass insulation with a metal wrapper, possibly foam if it's rated for 500F and up. If you're unsure if your metal looking wrap is truly metal, then use metal tape to cover it. Insulate the fuel line for it's length through the engine compartment. This won't make a big giant difference, but it does help.

That about covers it. I didn't mention getting an XCal because the money you save from better fuel economy will not offset the cost of the part over years. I'd only get this part if I was planning on other modifications that made it necessary to purchase one.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 47255
What I Drive: 2004 black ZX3

FF Reputation: 26 silveib Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
want to save gas.... buy a more fuel effecient car....... want to drive a car and enjoy it, while getting reasonable fuel milage... keep the focus....
people who buy a focus strickly for their gas milage are mis-informed
Old 10-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55958
What I Drive: 2000 lx

FF Reputation: 1 Gregorzzz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I thought if you warmed your fuel prior to it going to your injectors, you may gain something because of the fluid expanding. Thats going by what I was told about filling up in the morning to get just a little more fluid in your tank, but if you filled up on a warm hot day, when it cooled down you'd see what looks like less gas in your tank. I'm not sure if the difference is that drastic.

I was wondering if it worked, then why. The idea of it boosting the octane didnt make sence because if thats what it did then couldnt you just buy higher octane and gain the "huge" gains in mpg? It'd be just a waste of money since you'd just see a slight performance boost but probably nothing.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 53335
What I Drive: 2002 Infra Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 CUSH02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8XDscWleKw

best example of how you can get better mpg's...i love it...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
^^^ but the pirus is more eco cause i love to hug trees.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52834
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 22 Weldman0730 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well the focus isnt a gas guzzling monster and does get comparable MPG ratings with all other cars in its same class, so buying a new car is not a reasonable nor responsible answer.

The best way to gain MPG, is to buy gas with the least amount of ethanol, however you may pay more for it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.