if the intake airbox leaks air... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #1
m6x
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58151
What I Drive: ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 m6x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
if the intake airbox leaks air...

hi i went to replace the old stock filter with the k&n hi flow. anyway the two screws on the left side were so bad it was impossible to extract without taking the entire airbox out so i cut the surrounding plastic with a rotary tool.

when i closed the airbox i applied some sealant on the rim of the box where the two screws are missing. i wiggled it and everything seemed tight and secure.

so if the airbox leaks air what will happen? and how can i tell while driving?

thnx :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 28,516, Level 99
Points: 28,516, Level: 99 Points: 28,516, Level: 99 Points: 28,516, Level: 99
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
If it leaks, then all you have to do is apply some epoxy or something around the rim, however, you won't be able to open it again.. My advice for you would be to get some small C-clamps and clamp it down on whats left of the plastic rim. You really wont feel any difference in performance unless the entire top of the air box comes off. My concern for you would be that you would suck unclean air into the engine. You don't want to get dirt into the engine, even the smallest particles can mess it up!! so see how well it is sealing, and even if it doesn't look like it is gonna be too bad, still geg some sort of removeable clamp and clamp it shut!!

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
m6x
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58151
What I Drive: ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 m6x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
If it leaks, then all you have to do is apply some epoxy or something around the rim, however, you won't be able to open it again.. My advice for you would be to get some small C-clamps and clamp it down on whats left of the plastic rim. You really wont feel any difference in performance unless the entire top of the air box comes off. My concern for you would be that you would suck unclean air into the engine. You don't want to get dirt into the engine, even the smallest particles can mess it up!! so see how well it is sealing, and even if it doesn't look like it is gonna be too bad, still geg some sort of removeable clamp and clamp it shut!!

i like the c clamp idea. but the rim has such a small surface area i doubt that the clamp can get leverage. unless i clamp the entire airbox top to bottom.

i just bought some expanding foam sealant. even without any glue with the two screws working on one side the airbox "felt" tight.

just wanna make sure. btw why did you suggest epoxy? are those "softer" sealant for bathrooms and kitchen not strong enough?

thnx again!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have really good luck with "Automotive Amazing Goop". It's a contact adhesive and sealer. From your description above I think this stuff may do the trick. I'd run it along the rim on that side of the box. When it's dry - doesn't take long - you'll have a strong leak proof seal. And with a little force, and maybe a razor knife, you'll be able to get it apart when you need to.

You'll find it in just about any auto-parts store or even the auto section at Walmart (look for the red tube with AUTOMOTIVE in bold white down the center)

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 2 7.3 L Diesel Excursions!

Points 28,516, Level 99
Points: 28,516, Level: 99 Points: 28,516, Level: 99 Points: 28,516, Level: 99
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
well, I don't know, I just use Epoxy for everything!! Its holding power is amazing!! but as for the clamping Idea, you could glue some sort of rod coming off the top of the box and another off the bottom, someting as simple as a tack woud probably work, then take a wire, and wire it shut by wrapping the wire around the two rods and tightening it!! I dunno, just getting creative!! lol

Now I rive 2 7.3 L diesel trucks!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Epoxy - I love it - when you don't want to take something apart again.

If you want another amazing glue, stop by your local hobby store and pick up some Cyanoacrylate. It's "super" super glue and most hobby stores sell it in different flavors, from super thin instant set to thicker gap filling varieties. They also sell a spray that sets the glue the second the spray hits it. Really handy to have around.

Watch it, this is the stuff that will glue your fingers together or to the part you're working on.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.