we don't got the beat - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
Hiyadoin'

Fan#: 48389
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT, EAP #1440

FF Reputation: 9 stivo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
we don't got the beat

http://www.nextautos.com/gm-won%E2%8...9329&nid=24776

GM Wonít Bring Chevy Beat to U.S.

After debuting with a pair of like-minded concept cars at the 2007 New York Auto show, winning public approval in an online popularity contest, and being trotted out as the future of small cars by the General Motors brass at every intervening auto show since; Bob Lutz let us down none too gently yesterday with the announcement that the Chevrolet Beat wonít be coming to U.S. shores.

While GM is forging ahead with plans to bring the Beat to Europe next year as a replacement for the Chevy Spark, Lutz maintains that The General never had serious plans to fettle the Beat for American consumption, not in the first generation anyway. To wit, the car wonít be able to stand up to federal safety and crash standards without a boatload of extra cash and two more yearís worth of testing.

The announcement of the Beatís Euro-only status shouldnít be surprising after years of watching American automakers keep their competent small cars strictly for old-world consumption (Ka, Fiesta, Agila weíre looking at you), but we canít help but feel a little harshed by this latest rebuff. The Beat was debuted at, and on display for, every major American auto show for the last year, sharing floor space with the ever hopeful Volt concept, and giving rise to a perception that GM was interested in changing its idea of business as usual.

Lutz hasnít slammed the door on a U.S. Beat completely, saying that the car may come here in its second generation. Thatís good news for the inevitably large number of sub-compact shoppers that are likely to be prowling dealerships over the next decade and more, but a bit too late for those of us that are searching for sensible, economical, and American transportation right now.

Is the loss of the Beat a loss to the U.S. consumer? Would the small Chevy be on your shopping list, were it available in two years time? Tell us what you think of this move by GM, in comments.

-bummer. I hope they at least make a new Hummer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Personally, I think the U.S. "Big Auto" bigwigs need to start paying a little closer attention to their consumers. The Beat, among others, were an overwelming success at the Shows, and yet they continue to dangle that damn carrot over Our collective heads. I comes as no surprise that the Big 3 are losing Their asses to companies like Kia, Hyundai, and as always Honda. When, praytell will They learn?
Old 07-26-2008, 02:24 AM   #3
暗炎

Fan#: 40966
What I Drive: 2010 Silver Fusion, 1994 Ranger

Points 3,421, Level 36
Points: 3,421, Level: 36 Points: 3,421, Level: 36 Points: 3,421, Level: 36
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 31 DarkFire1986 Great Standing Member
Thats the first time in a while that I've been in love with a Chevy, and it's yet another car I can't have.

So many things on the car I like.
The tail lights look freaking sweet. The bumper design is cool, the headlights look amazing, the stance looks good the way it is... I could go on for a while.

About the only thing I don't like is the side view mirror choice. It's a little small...
Old 07-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #4
Hiyadoin'

Fan#: 48389
What I Drive: 2004 Infrared SVT, EAP #1440

FF Reputation: 9 stivo Good Standing Member
at least we get the Aveo. I just saw a truck load of them heading for the LA area. It's really a Daewoo though.

uhg...

I think the big three will be coming around with small cars in a big hurry. I'm just glad i didn't get stuck with and SUV. I hear you can get a great deal on a Yukon Denali these days.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Subcompact Fanatic

Fan#: 43017
What I Drive: 1997 Ford Aspire White

FF Reputation: 9 DURATECoftheDesert Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
They wouldn't anyways since they stole that name Beat from the Honda Beat..... Someone should get them for Identity theft *LOL*

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.