Ford loses $8.7 billion in 2Q 2008; will shift N. American production to small cars - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56324
What I Drive: 1998 Olds Eighty Eight LS

FF Reputation: 1 Paul in Maryland Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford loses $8.7 billion in 2Q 2008; will shift N. American production to small cars

CNN article here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Lol, is that really you in your avatar??

Anyhoo, that's a lot of money to be lost and it's sad to see some hard working people get bought out at those plants. Hopefully, reviving the Mercury nameplate and bringing in those six Euro models will definitely raise a few eyebrows.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 269
What I Drive: 2008 Sport trac xlt 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 xero2099 Good Standing Member
but they are also bringing over the euro foci in 2010 since the majority of the US auto industry gambled heavily with suv's and trucks and are now losing big time the foreign car companies have been making smaller cars for years and it wouldn't be surprising for one of them to over take the top sales spot in the US. It will take the US side at least 23 years to shift their lineups around
Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah, that's me. I needed a studio shot to look "artsy" for a writing project of mine.

Yesterday, on the commuter train, I sat beside a woman from Texas. "With the price of gas what it is," she said, "everyone in Texas is selling their pickup truck."
"To whom???" I asked.
"That's the problem," she replied.

When Ford's new president came aboard--the guy from Boeing--an insightful friend of mine said, "If he's smart, he'll form a tiger team that will figure out how to bring Ford's European small cars to North America, quickly." It took $4/gallon gas to make him smart.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Both of those comments were hilarious
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 269
What I Drive: 2008 Sport trac xlt 4x4

FF Reputation: 1 xero2099 Good Standing Member
the bread and butter for ford is the f-150 until they start rolling out the euro cars over here they will either break even or be in the red.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I'll only be happy if They finally bring the RS Here... The US needs to know that bigger isn't alway better... but it id hard as HELL to move a king size boxspring and mattress on top of a FoFo. Looks kinda funny, too!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xero2099 View Post
the bread and butter for ford is the f-150 until they start rolling out the euro cars over here they will either break even or be in the red.
was
the F-150. Ford's bread and butter has become toast.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

Points 6,024, Level 50
Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50 Points: 6,024, Level: 50
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
^^^^lol

The sad part is that it was pretty easy to see the writing on the wall five years ago. Toyota and Honda saw it.

I just heard a discussion on NPR about this issue, and how the big 3 (really more like the mid-size 2 at this point) have a horrible time with forward thinking because they're too tied to their quarterly earnings. They had an "If it aint broke.. don't fix it" mentality. That's bad in an industry where R&D for a new car takes years. They sure were caught with their pants down because of it.

They're REACTIONARY more than they are PROACTIONARY... to slip in some corporatespeak.
HN #171
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The American way of thinking about these things is going to change. Most people don't really need that large pickup in the drive-way. You can rent trucks for occasional hauling stuff. You can have things delivered. That big truck you now own can just sit there because you'll have to almost give it away right now. I doubt most dealers will be taking them in trade much longer....their lots are full of the things.

As far as I'm concerned a large number of heads should roll at Ford and other US manufacturers. The hand-writing has been on the wall for a long time....

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.