Ford Focus Crash results? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55609
What I Drive: 2006 bright red zx4

FF Reputation: 1 TraiChan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Smile Ford Focus Crash results?

I have a 2006 Ford Focus SE Zx4. I find it to be a very basic vehicle. four door. no cruise control. manual lights and seats. auto trans. no fog lights. driver/passenger airbags. while it is light in the body and gets great gas milage- i am more concerned about the likely hood of myself surviving in a car accident in this vehicle. in this new era of more fuel economic vehicles, we have to shed some pounds from our vehicle's exteriors to make a better, faster, fuel economic car. but by doing that, doesn't it make it about as safe to ride in as an aluminum can? My car is also small and compact. if it was fully seated and there was an impact i would be very concerned for the lives of my passengers and myself. does anyone know of the crash tests results or safety features for the ford focus?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 31234
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ST w/SAP#1

FF Reputation: 14 gokart2 Great Standing Member
Somebody survived a 90mph crash with a dumptruck, don't know if the pics are still around. But that made me feel much better!
ST Crew #90
My wife---><----Me
Old 07-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Dumbledore dies?!?!

Fan#: 49496
What I Drive: 05 zx4, 88 rx7 with v8 swap, 69 bug

FF Reputation: 8 TnFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
^^^ I remember that, if i aint mistaken didn't the motor come out too? I think he and his bro walked away with out a scratch... Get on youtube and look up i think it was top gear new focus vs. rebuilt title focus.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Unlike the good ole days where you could get in a 60mph crash and barely scratch the paint, today's lighter cars are designed to distribute crash loads all throughout the body and crumple to absorb impact and transfer as small of a load as possible to the passenger. You do have an added risk of being trapped when the car crushes but I'd be willing to bet the likelihood of severe injury or death is a lot less than the tanks that we drove a few decades ago, unless you get into a head on or t-boned by a large truck, which you will be lucky to walk away from regardless of what you are driving.

As for the safety, we've seen rollovers and such on the Forums with people walking away. One guy recently flipped and landed upside down in water and everyone did ok. Then there was a guy who hit a stationary truck going pretty fast, he walked out. The side impact tests were the worst case in official tests, but I have seen a lot of people on here who were in side impacts and were still fine.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 07-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 14,191, Level 77
Points: 14,191, Level: 77 Points: 14,191, Level: 77 Points: 14,191, Level: 77
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
my uncle flipped his focus se going 80+ on the freeway flipped it 3 times, he walked away from the crash.

i have seen many accidents on this site over the years, and to the best of my knowlege everyone walked away from the wreck and most have bought another focus cuz of how safe it is.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
I think you can access the crash test results at the D.O.T. (I think they have them published). I will also mention that lighter is not always worse. For one, take a look at the crash test results for the Smart (amazing). Now compare to a heavy SUV, or for that matter look at the annual deaths for each range of vehicle. What is a critical factor in a collision is the height. A T-bone in the lower door panel area will be less damaging to the occupant than the window area for obvious reasons (primary reason they are mandating uniform bumper heights). But high height brings its own problems. It really depends on you, where you drive and how you drive. I did opt for the side window curtains in my 07. But really, avoidance (I.E. handling) is really the best answer if possible. But as happened just last week just outside of Saint Louis (and also about 6 years ago), The biggest, beefiest SUV you can get will not save you from the Semi coming at high speed and your stationary in a traffic jam with no escape route.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
this should help You a bit:
http://www.autobuyguide.com/2006/12-...sts/index.html
Old 07-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 28,340, Level 98
Points: 28,340, Level: 98 Points: 28,340, Level: 98 Points: 28,340, Level: 98
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
The IIHS, the guys who do the offset collision test, rated the Focus higher than the other small cars. That was enough for me, and that's why I bought my Focus. Nothing is going to protect you from everything, but I do think that having a good impact rating is important.

For example, I watched a guy drive a Corolla under the front of an 18 wheeler with a full dump bed at about 50 mph. The truck rolled over that car. While other concerned citizens ran over the the crushed car, I hugged the truck driver because it wasn't his fault at all- he had the green. There was a lot of puking going on soon after.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Modern cars are VASTLY safer than the cars of yore. Let me give you a personal example of a car I drove for TWELVE years: a 1965 Plymouth Valiant.

Seat belts: yes, lap belts in the front, no shoulder belt and it had a "safety glass" windshield, the kind that would smash into little bits instead of razor sharp daggers. That's IT for the safety equipment. Here's the bad stuff.

1. Drum brakes only, grabby, prone to heat fade and when a wheel cylinder leaked, it would soak the brake shoes and that wheel would lock up WAY before the rest (that's personal experience.)

2. Non collapsing steering column, also known as the "harpoon", a frequent injury in the old days was a "flailed chest" from the "harpoon" running through the body.

3. No latch on the glove compartment, it had a metal door and tended to fall open during crashes, cutting off the passengers legs.

4. No back seat seat belts.

5. Non buckling hood, that sucker would kick up in the back and ram right through the windshield.

6. Bias ply tires. Yep mine came with them and they were absolute crap for braking and steering. They'd shove and push and were hard as rocks ghastly.

7. No shoulder belt, in a head on, there was only the "harpoon" and the painted STEEL dashboard to smash into.

8. No head rests, the bench seat came up to just below my shoulders. No recline, no energy absorption at all, a bit hard on the neck if you get my drift.

I got rear ended several times in that car and it was never pleasant. Fortunately I had the OTHER guy's crumple zones for energy absorption. My car looked fine after those wrecks but I was pretty beat up, I was the crumple zone.

So, think about how you plan to crash, if you're just going to tool around town texting people and crashing into them at 10-15 MPH, you should be fine in about anything. If you're planning to do street racing and crashing into bridge abutments at 100+ MPH, you'd better go with a high-end European car if you're planning to crash into other people in the winter, get a tank like a H2 or a big frame-on truck so that you'll have a better chance of driving home after the wreck.

Or your best option is to think safely, pay attention and don't be there when the wreck happens.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Machinery Technician

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

Points 45,167, Level 100
Points: 45,167, Level: 100 Points: 45,167, Level: 100 Points: 45,167, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
there have been lots of stories here where people crashed their foci really bad and came out unharmed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.