Your worst focus repair experience. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3515
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Fordfreak3368 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Your worst focus repair experience.

Ok, I thought it would be interesting to see what problems all the DIYers have had with their focis, or even the badluck experience anyone else has had getting theirs fixed. Here's mine:

Pulled my car in at the end of the day at work for a quick oil change and found I had a loose ball joint, no big deal. The next week I buy the ball joint and start working on it. Our ball joints are riveted in with pretty hefty rivets, and they have to be forced out to get the new ball joints in, After an hour and a half of fighting with the impact hammer and torch I come to the realization the the rivets are not coming out...and that I cracked the control arm. Car stays in the shop and I get a ride home.
Next day I return the ball joint and buy the whole control arm witch has the ball joint already in it, No problem here, three bolts for the control arm in and out. So it go's up on the alignment rack and my right side toe is out front and rear. I put my ratchet on the eccentric bolt for the rear toe and in one swift tug the R snapped off, My rear control arm is literally being held in by 2 threads.
I gingerly drive home, and back to work the next morning. Pull it in and I am able to find a bolt in the master tech's junk box as he was a master tech for a ford dealership previously. I make the attempt at getting the old bolt out only to realize it is seized into the bushing. At this point the only way to get it out is to cut it or melt the bushing...both resulting in a new rear control arm. Drive home and back again...with 2 threads holding the arm in.
The following day, I order the rear control arm and get everything put back together...FINALLY. Do the alignment and all is good. Luckily I got our wholesale discount with the parts supplier and all together it only cost about 120 dollars for the 2 control arms, I can't imagine the cost for labor if I wasn't able to do it myaself. 86k miles without 1 single issue, something was bound to happen eventually.

Team Focus Cleveland #4 is now up for grabs
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51939
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SE SPI

Points 5,569, Level 48
Points: 5,569, Level: 48 Points: 5,569, Level: 48 Points: 5,569, Level: 48
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 2003focusowner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So its sound like it would be easier to change the front control arm instead of trying to change the ball joint. Would that be your recommendation?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3515
What I Drive: 2010 Ford Fusion Sport

FF Reputation: 1 Fordfreak3368 Good Standing Member
yes definetly, at the wholesale cost the control arm was only 13 more dollars, if I would've known that in the first place I would've just done it.
Team Focus Cleveland #4 is now up for grabs
Old 07-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
4.0 makes it go

Fan#: 32321
What I Drive: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FF Reputation: 9 dazada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Replacing the front crankshaft seal. A friend and I never did anything like it before, but we did it in two days with no parts left over. What a pain.

Rock on.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23416
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 Dudes ZX3 Great Standing Member
WA HA, a oil change- 96k and I've been pretty lucky. Well maybe the clutch, but I didn't do it-
Old 07-13-2008, 08:33 PM   #6

Fan#: 55566
What I Drive: 2000 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gamca Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
the mine was replacing the brake pads, i tighted them too much and i broke the bolt.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30163
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus Zx3 vermillion red

FF Reputation: 3 fusor Good Standing Member
motor.... i went thru high water and bent some rods!!! i put the new motor in and kept running into the coolant extension hose cracking and leaking--- thirty bucks, three coolant extension hoses later and a new thermostat im back on the road! but thats not it i blew the transmission last winter, shattered the spider gears and sent one thru the case, three hundred dollars and four days later i have a low mileage tranny and its back on the road!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Detailing Freak

Fan#: 30258
What I Drive: .

Points 16,420, Level 82
Points: 16,420, Level: 82 Points: 16,420, Level: 82 Points: 16,420, Level: 82
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 23 MattZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
power steering line on the steering rack

installed a shorty header and orp, and the orp rattled the line and broke the line

went to everywhere, autozone, napa, carquest, NO ONE had the line i was looking for

my only option, was either junkyard, replace it with the same part, and have it break 3 months later again, buy a new steering rack, for 300 bucks, becuase it comes with that line, and eat that money, OR make the line myself.

so about 100 worth of lines, tools, and time and anger, and i had made a power stering line...

pain in the ass, took three days to get it gonig, but man i was proud when i got her back on the road

oh, and then a 1/2 hour after i got the car on the road, i got hit by someone, and they ran

thats another story though..
Old 07-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
SUPER FAST

Fan#: 35996
What I Drive: 2001 Oxford White SVT Wannabe

FF Reputation: 1 theonly287 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The first time I did an oil change. This is the first oil change I had done because I had just gotten the car used. SO, I jack up the car and see the oil plug is the wrong size...and is sticking out like an inch and a half. Then I go to the parts store buy a new one. I replace it. As I fill the car up with oil I go to check the dipstick. I then find that it had been broken off in the dipstick tube. SO, I go to the parts store and buy a new one and pull the tube out of the block replace everything. AND TO THINK all that for a stinking oil change.

I <3 my SVT wannabe
Old 07-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Mine was all warranty, so I didn't get my hands dirty.

I was at 6,000 miles and my SVTF clutch was doing the "marbles in a can", so I went in for the clutch TSB. After a week and a half of driving an '04 Aerio, they call and let me know my car is "fixed" so I drop off the rental, and pick up my SVTF. On the way home I notice that my car is really pulling hard and I'm picking up more bugs on the passenger door than the windshield.

I go back to the Stealership and my service manager sheepishly admits they tried to get by without doing an alignment, so it's back in the shop for another couple of days while I have the joy of driving a Neon. They call and say it's done and I arrive to pick it up and on the way home, the shifter cables come undone and I'm stuck in 1'st gear.

The next day I get a ride in on a flatbed and have the joy of driving an '04 Aveo for a week and a half while they order the TSB shift cables. Finally they call and say my car is "ready", I go down to pick it up and while I'm adjusting the mirrors and seat, it starts beeping at me to put on my seat belt; the kicker is that I AM wearing my seatbelt. I then notice that the airbag light is on and there's no way I'm driving my car with the safety equipment disabled/broken.

That night I got a Dodge Ram with a Hemi and got to watch the fuel gage drop as I drove it. The next day my car was ready but that was pretty much a month without my car. That's pretty much the worst of it; oh and I got the Hemi instead of my Aveo because the rental place said the Aveo wasn't safe to drive due to the passenger seatbelt malfunctioning and the horn not working.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.