Focus on the Rabbit? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

Points 5,568, Level 48
Points: 5,568, Level: 48 Points: 5,568, Level: 48 Points: 5,568, Level: 48
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Focus on the Rabbit?

Today I randomly decided to check out a VW dealership to see how much I could get for a 2008 VW Rabbit. Just a little background info... I was always jealous of this car. The styling, features, and technology behind it blows my mnd. But before people get angry at me I want to say that I STILL love my Focus today. I just wish I can get a little more out of it (like more HP stock, better interior, electronic stability, standard side airbags, etc.). The Rabbit has all of that.

Admittedly I've probably been spending way too much on modding/upgrading/maintaining/babying my Focus, when I probably should be saving up for my next ride. I've also got a list of repairs of little things that have been building up over the years (fix up scratches, crappy ignition cylinder, malfunctioning trunk release button on dash, messed up driver side window regulator, etc.), as well as an upcoming state inspection and new tires etc.. Plus I figured I should probably sell while my mileage is still decent (53k).

So with all that into consideration, that's when the guilt set in and the decision to look around for something new started. To summarize, the VW Rabbit I want is priced at around 18k with tax and title fees. If I were to buy now, I could put $6k down with the $4.9k trade-in value of my Focus. So I'll have around $7.5k to pay remaining over the course of 3 months, with 0% APR (OMFG no interest!!). It's very, VERY tempting.

Unfortunately the dealership is no longer offering me a built-to-order option. They stated that if I went that route, it would have to be a 2009 year model. And so in addition to waiting half a year for my car to be delivered, they're also claiming the 2009 year model will cost considerably more. In other words I could get a brand new 2008 with more featured packed in, than to buy a bare bones 2009 model. So this is VERY tempting.

I know that $4,900 is LOW for the value of my Focus. BUT I know that the 0% APR deal is ending this month, and there's a slim chance I'd be able to sell my Focus for $6k or $7k as an individual seller during that time. And unfortunately the trade-in appraisal value is only legit for 7 days. So I'm working on a very constrained timeframe here.

If I were to buy today, I'd go with the 3-year option (0% APR). It turns out a little over $200 a month. But I'll probably be able to afford even larger payments (to have it paid off sooner). So there's very little risk involved as far as finances go.

What do you guys think? Should I stick with my Focus or go with the Rabbit? I know I'm screwing myself out of some money here (since trade-in value sucks), BUT I'm also thinking I'll be saving money by not having to pay for long-term maintenance fees on a 6-year old car with 53k miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48993
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 38 LiveT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Actually $4900 doesn't sound to bad for trade for your car. If the Rabbit is something you always wanted then you should go for it.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Deaf Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 36447
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

Points 7,284, Level 56
Points: 7,284, Level: 56 Points: 7,284, Level: 56 Points: 7,284, Level: 56
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusStrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
exactly what LiveT says above.
Former SEDAN REVOLUTION #11 member
Now a Freelance Street Tuner!
I'm Deaf and Proud to be!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Bunneh Fanatic

Points 5,568, Level 48
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Thanks for the support. I was really expecting to get flamed for posting this. If I had the money to keep 'em both (Focus as a daily driver) I definitely would. And I feel extra crappy now that I just got my MagnaFlow installed two days ago. But hey we all make stupid mistakes. I feel that in the long run the Rabbit might be the way to go. A new exhaust can only go so far, before I'll start burning more money on mods again. It's just another form of expensive addiction.

On a random note I think it's interesting to note that the steering on the Focus felt much tighter and responsive than the '08 Rabbit. Funny how an $8000 car can have better feeling steering than an $18000 car. The Rabbit's steering felt a little mushy. It was still responsive, but it's hard to gauge how precise it can be around tight corners at lower speeds. It's like it's harder to feel the road or something. It may have something to do with some type of steering assist that I'm unaware of.

Having disc brakes on all fours also made me feel like I was learning how to drive all over again. The slightest tap on the brakes can send you forward abruptly, as I learned quickly before I pulled out of the lot. With my Focus I would've had to jam on the brakes hard for the same results (and I just got a brand new set no more than 4 months ago). So yeah, it's cool to have all disc brakes on a small hatchback finally.

Overall I think I'm leaning more towards the Rabbit. But although it has a 2.5L engine and all kinds of cool features, a part of me will always love the Focus. It has a certain type of character and soul that can't be imitated by other hatchbacks. And despite being an econobox, it has the type of spirit that begs to be pushed (unlike 99% of the cars in its class). Unfortunately as I'm starting to get older and into a rather serious relationship, safety and practicality will probably start to have more meaning in my life than ever before. I think that makes sense...
Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
This Rabbit is slow

Fan#: 18493
What I Drive: 2008 VW Rabbit S

Points 3,425, Level 36
Points: 3,425, Level: 36 Points: 3,425, Level: 36 Points: 3,425, Level: 36
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 fallacious_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Do it. The 08s love to rev (even with a 6300RPM rev limiter), and they pull all the way through the power band. Should you choose to mod it intake/exhaust/chip and you will be running with JRSC Foci (maybe PWSC too). You also mentioned the brakes, they are much better than on either of my Foci due to large size and some computer trickery. The computers have saved me more than once. While driving on I-40 west of Oklahoma City in the rain the traction control actually cut the cruise off and applied the brakes to prevent me from hydroplaning.

Sarcasm? Never heard of it.
Playing the devils advocate, just to piss you off.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51641
What I Drive: 02--InfraRed--SVT

FF Reputation: 29 MattyKrackSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
go with the rabbit... my friend has one and loves it. plus it will have a warranty
Old 07-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26006
What I Drive: 2001 White LX 2002 Infra-Red Svt

Points 19,754, Level 88
Points: 19,754, Level: 88 Points: 19,754, Level: 88 Points: 19,754, Level: 88
Level Up 81% Completed
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 107 loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member loudfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Sounds to me like you should do it.
I personally would never do something like that......I am too much of a focus fanatic.
My focus will stay with me forever. And my next DD may be an svt. 2 foci....lol.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #8
Bunneh Fanatic

Points 5,568, Level 48
Level Up 9% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallacious_focus View Post
Do it. The 08s love to rev (even with a 6300RPM rev limiter), and they pull all the way through the power band. Should you choose to mod it intake/exhaust/chip and you will be running with JRSC Foci (maybe PWSC too). You also mentioned the brakes, they are much better than on either of my Foci due to large size and some computer trickery. The computers have saved me more than once. While driving on I-40 west of Oklahoma City in the rain the traction control actually cut the cruise off and applied the brakes to prevent me from hydroplaning.
Happy to hear from a Rabbit owner with a positive experience. That sounds crazy how you almost hydroplaned and the computers just kicked in to save you. That's the kind of safety features I'd like to have.

Now I've learned a lot from driving the Focus, as a car without standard ABS or four-wheel disc brakes. But there are still moments where even when I think I'm safe I'll start to fishtail a little. As much as I love my Focus I still white knuckle the hell out of my steering wheel when I hit bumpy roads in wet weather. It's not fun at all. Newer tires and the SVT suspension helps a bit, but it's still no substitute for VW's redundant stability systems.

My GF drives her '08 Rabbit around in rain like it's nothing. She stomps on the gas from dead stops and there's absolutely no sign of slipping or sliding whatsoever. But when I'm driving my Focus in the rain, I have to ease up on the gas or I'll end up stuck at a stop light with spinning wheels. It's kind of embarrassing and disappointing at the same time, because normally on dry roads the Focus is an awesome ride. I just can't enjoy the same spirited driving when the weather goes bad.

I'd love to have that sort of traction and braking power in ALL weather conditions, without having to pay over $30k for an Evo or WRX. Although it's not 4WD, I think the Rabbit provides a good solution for that without tearing a gaping hole into your wallet. Personally I value handling more than raw performance, and that's where the Rabbit really shines when it comes to standard safety features.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
This Rabbit is slow

Fan#: 18493
What I Drive: 2008 VW Rabbit S

Points 3,425, Level 36
Points: 3,425, Level: 36 Points: 3,425, Level: 36 Points: 3,425, Level: 36
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 20 fallacious_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The traction control is surprisingly good, and even with the manual I have actually had wheel hop on shitty roads when its pouring down rain. At this point I can't wait to get some H&R coilovers and some 18x8.5s to see how the car really handles (I've pushed it to about 8-9/10s without too much issue). My only complaint is that I wish that I had gotten bigger wheels stock, but I got one of the stripped out base models that you spoke of earlier since money was an issue.

Sarcasm? Never heard of it.
Playing the devils advocate, just to piss you off.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25482
What I Drive: 2008 VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 1 doslinux Good Standing Member
I made the same move from a Focus to a Rabbit... and I will never look back!

The rabbit is an amazing car for the money. You get soo many standard features and the build quality is impressive.

There are many mods for the rabbit already...you mentioned you installed a magnaflow on your focus recently, well check out this exhaust for the rabbit...

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here are some forums were you can discuss the Rabbit:

http://rabbitownersclub.com/

http://forums.vwvortex.com/

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.