Help Buying Wagon - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57568
What I Drive: 1997 F150

FF Reputation: 1 johnu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help Buying Wagon

This is my first post here after spending a lot of time reading through old posts and checking faq's.

I am thinking about buying a used Focus Wagon, probably an 01/02 model for a commuter (45 miles a day). I will also make it a project car my 14yr old son and I can work on. Plan is to make it look externally more like our Audi S4wagon, ie lower it and add body trim and 18" wheels. May also do some engine performance mods later on.

What should I look for regarding problems with this model and year? I will be looking for vehicles with under 65k miles. Are there problems getting lowering kits for the wagons or are they the same as the hatchbacks? I have only seen SE Wagons, is this the only model available?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, I'm not good at using the search function.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26329
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW Liquid Grey Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 aldur99 Good Standing Member
If possible, look for an 03/04. They have better fuel pumps, ignition cylinders and generally have worked out the kinks found in earlier models. The wagons came in various trim options, from nothing to full loads. The ZTW is usually the one with the majority of the options. 5 speed manuals are rare, but can be found. The suspension is different then the hatch (the rear differs, while the front is the same). Lowering kits are becoming rare but can be found from a couple of manufacturers (hks/koni).
Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 29,482, Level 99
Points: 29,482, Level: 99 Points: 29,482, Level: 99 Points: 29,482, Level: 99
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The problematic ignition cylinders were in all Focis up to 05, however some have been changed. Look at the ignition cylinder, the good cylinder has the key enter in the center of the cylinder, the old style is off center to the bottom if I remember correctly. It's not a bad buy to get one with the old cylinder, but it's recommended to change it ASAP. The procedure is simple, and anyone can do it with instructions so long as the key still turns the cylinder. After it locks up, you need to drill or pay a shop approx $200 to do it for you, plus fees for new keys which are not cheap because the key has a chip in it that needs to be programmed to work for the car.

Ok, that aside, the Focus wagon is an excellent size family vehicle. It came with 2 different engines. Early ZTW's all had Zetec 16v engines, but 03-04's could have been optioned with a PZEV 2.3 Duratec engine. Zetec is written on the valve cover of the Zetec engines, while the Duratec engine has coil on plug ignition. Fuel economy is similar between both models, but the Duratec has more power. I would expect around 30, but not more than 35. City driving reduces it to 28 or a little less on E10. Wagons with manual transmissions are difficult to find. I had to order mine. I manage 32 in combined driving.

05+ models are slightly louder in interior noise than earlier models due to a hasty redesign. Don't worry so much about suspension upgrades, the biggest difference is that the wagons don't have rear struts- shocks instead. All wagons come with a rear sway bar standard.

I can't think of much else, the cars are good cars. Best wishes!!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57596
What I Drive: 2005 Gray ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 56focus70 Good Standing Member
Angry

Hi, all. Just bought an '05 ZXW, and became a member yesterday.

Question: the dealer sold me a car with a 'roof rack', but it only has the longitudinal rails. wierdest thing, I thought, "How do I use that?". Just stopped by a used lot, and saw TWO wagons, one with perpendicular rails (duh), the other without. Do these things come separately, or do they break easily? Have I a right to say to the dealer, "Could I have the REST of my car,now?" Thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57568
What I Drive: 1997 F150

FF Reputation: 1 johnu Good Standing Member
Thanks for the replies .

I will try to find an 03 for the right price, that's probably as new as I will get for the money I want to spend. Good to know about the ignition cylinder, sounds like that would be the first thing to tackle.

What would be the first or best value engine perfomance mod on the Focus?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Captain TMI

Points 29,482, Level 99
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
FF Reputation: 271 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56focus70 View Post
Question: the dealer sold me a car with a 'roof rack', but it only has the longitudinal rails. wierdest thing
Well up until 05 Ford did sell the wagon with the roof rack rails as part of the roof rack. Then they decided to make some more money, and made the rails dealer order options for $125 each.

I ordered my wagon, and that was my first question before leaving the lot. To protest this crap, I went and took a better looking rack off of a Windstar which uses the same rack as the ZXW- length and all. I had to modify the rack to fit the stock screws in it, but it made me feel a lot better.

Best of luck.

Quote:
Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
Captain TMI

Points 29,482, Level 99
Level Up 69% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnu View Post
What would be the first or best value engine perfomance mod on the Focus?
First figure out which engine you have, but most people do CAI's or exhaust first. If you have a Zetec engine, then one of the best mods you can do yourself is the HRW intake. You shouldn't have any problem finding something on this site about it since one of our members created it

Quote:
Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57596
What I Drive: 2005 Gray ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 56focus70 Good Standing Member
Thanks so much! Fords have been very good mechanically, lately (engines), but some of their decisions are very cold-blooded. Don't get me started...Thanks, again!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57931
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 blix Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Well up until 05 Ford did sell the wagon with the roof rack rails as part of the roof rack. Then they decided to make some more money, and made the rails dealer order options for $125 each.

I ordered my wagon, and that was my first question before leaving the lot. To protest this crap, I went and took a better looking rack off of a Windstar which uses the same rack as the ZXW- length and all. I had to modify the rack to fit the stock screws in it, but it made me feel a lot better.

Best of luck.
Hi, first time poster here. I've had the same problem.. my family and I are looking to go camping in a few weeks and I was hoping to find a pair of crossbars from a wrecker someplace. One yard had a couple for $100, but he said that they were from an '01 wagon. I was going to pick them up right away, but apparently between 04-07 the style of the rack changed, and they wouldn't fit my '06 wagon. Is he pulling my leg?

Also, you say that the Windstar uses the same rack.. could I look around for crossbars from that? would they fit? Or would I have to get the rails and all?

thanks!

blix.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

Points 13,195, Level 74
Points: 13,195, Level: 74 Points: 13,195, Level: 74 Points: 13,195, Level: 74
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Quote:
T
Ok, that aside, the Focus wagon is an excellent size family vehicle. It came with 2 different engines. Early ZTW's all had Zetec 16v engines, but 03-04's could have been optioned with a PZEV 2.3 Duratec engine.
im gonna have to call you out on this, I have personally seen some wagons with the SPI... DO NOT get an spi...

Quote:

Don't worry so much about suspension upgrades, the biggest difference is that the wagons don't have rear struts- shocks instead.
also going to call you out here.

first, the hatchbacks/sedans do NOT have struts in the rear.

Second, you do have to worry. sedan/hatch kits will not fit.

the wagon suspension is only minorly different. The shock mounts in a different location on the subframe to make room for more cargo space, and also the springs are a progressive rate rather than linear like on the sedan/hatch. This minor difference is a major problem when buying suspension kits. I bought one of the last few eibach pro-system kits available... it was discontinued about 2 years ago.

also in my opinion the ignition cylinder thing is not a deal-breaker. if you find the car you like but it has the old-style cylinder... just buy it!

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.