Would someone explain the 5yr/100,000 mile ESP that supposedly came with the Focus? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23553
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 15 xFOCIx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Would someone explain the 5yr/100,000 mile ESP that supposedly came with the Focus?

I just got in the mail a solicitation from Ford to buy ESP and it tells me my warranty expires Jul 2008 and I bought my car Jul 2005.

Among the ESPs offered, there is onlye that is valid until Jul 2010 or 100k mile for $375. Wait a minute?

I thought the FOCUS came with the ESP!?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
00-04 came with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty 05 and up did not come with it standard. I got mine when I bought the car myself, did not even remember it until I checked my VIN and saw it.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusin View Post
00-04 came with the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty 05 and up did not come with it standard. I got mine when I bought the car myself, did not even remember it until I checked my VIN and saw it.
Actually, it DOES come with it :o I just found out. I found a copy of 2005 Ford Focus brochure says every Focus (as of 05 model) comes with it. I wonder what that post card is about.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC

Fan#: 40962
What I Drive: 03 Red EvO & 03 TURBO SVT

Points 9,232, Level 64
Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64 Points: 9,232, Level: 64
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 focusguy87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I suppose a turbo voids that warranty?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Subcompact Fanatic

Fan#: 43017
What I Drive: 1997 Ford Aspire White

FF Reputation: 9 DURATECoftheDesert Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post
Actually, it DOES come with it :o I just found out. I found a copy of 2005 Ford Focus brochure says every Focus (as of 05 model) comes with it. I wonder what that post card is about.
Yah, I think your right because mine came with it as well.... though I doubt I really need it.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 45523
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver SVT ZX5, #328 of 1079

FF Reputation: 53 shepski Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
The Focus didn't come with ESP - the "E" stands for "extended," as in "extended warranty," meaning you have to buy it extra.

But, with the standard 5yr./100k (right?) powertrain warranty on your Focus, the only ESP that would have been/would be worth a damn for you is the Premium - it covers a LOT (even the audio system), and it ain't cheap. You'd KNOW that you'd bought it.

That being said, depending on your commitment to keep the car, it may be worth your while to jump on an ESP by July. If you get one with a $50 or $100 per-visit deductible, you can keep the price down to a manageable level. BUT SHOP AROUND on the internet and phone - you can buy an ESP from ANY Ford dealer in the U.S., and their prices vary dramatically. We paid about $960 for a Premium plan (from Pat Onerata at Griffin Ford, New Canaan, CT.) for which we'd been quoted around $1,300 here in the D.C./Va./Md. area...
Old 02-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

When I asked a dealer about it, they weren't too sure about. That dealer seem to think that all warranty ends on my car at 3 yr/36,000 mile, but this confirms otherwise:

5yr/100K mile ESP came with every 05 Focus, PowerTrain Limited Warranty in State of Florida.

This is from 05 Focus brochure:(click to view)

Ok, I just called Dick Hannah Subaru-Lincoln-Merc in Vanc, WA (Dick Hannah Ford in Portland went out of business) and they did confirm my car does have 5 year/100K mile Powertrain coverage and there's a $100 deductible.

I asked what they consider a power train and they said "engine and transmission, excluding naturally wearing parts, such as clutch" but I'm told they don't have specific details of coverage in writing. :(
Old 02-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Banned

Fan#: 45523
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver SVT ZX5, #328 of 1079

FF Reputation: 53 shepski Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Right - you have the 5yr/100k powertrain coverage, but that's not the same as, say, the Premium, or even the Base, ESP (although, yeah, it sounds like it's the same as the PowertrainCARE ESP).

Check here for clarification:

http://www.discountfordwarranties.co...rvice_plan.php
Old 03-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5268
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 rgonyer Good Standing Member
Question - Do I have a standard 100k Powertrain warranty on my 2003 SVT??? Is it stated in the manual? The dealer never heard of it. I want to schedule service if so, but my car (and manual) is at home. Can anyone check their 2003 manual? I'm at 99950 right now :)

Also, would a trans seal be covered by that warranty? I would hope so.
Attached Thumbnails
Would someone explain the 5yr/100,000 mile ESP that supposedly came with the Focus?-leak.jpg  

Old 03-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49192
What I Drive: 2012 Winter Frost SE

Points 3,392, Level 36
Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36 Points: 3,392, Level: 36
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: -6 DJ2BIG Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Exclamation Ford Premium Care ESP $0 deductible 100,000 miles

I bought the Premium ESP with $0 deductible 100,000 miles from http://www.fordwarrantys.com for about $600. the secrete to getting it that low is go through the process of ordering it and giving them your email then do not check out you will receive a code in your email for a couple hundred off there regular price!

If your buying a new car I suggest to print out the warranty pre-purchuse order and do not show it to your sales man or the manager that closes the deal. Wait till your in the finance office after you negotiate the best interest rate and keep saying you do not want an extended warranty, then at the very last minute before signing your contract ask them how much for the warranty Premium ESP $0 deductible 100,000 with they mention there outrages price DO NOT EVER LET THE FINANCE MANAGER CLOSE THE DEAL BASED ON PAYMENTS THIS IS A VERY BAD THING TO DO! then bring out your printout they will more than likely match it! making an extra $100 profit for the dealer is better than nothing!

HOW TO GET YOU BEST DEAL?

Ford shows there invoice online find the car you want with the exact options and go to that dealer. Offer $500 under invoice (DO NOT INCLUDE REBATES ON THIS OFFER) and stick to it.

Do not tell them you have a trade of you do.
Once they agree to the $500 under invoice,

Then ask them to appraise your car, make sure it is cleaned out ready to trade and washed. If the used car manager ask for you to go outside with them while they appraise your car ignore any remarks they make against your car in fact be silent and do not even look at what there doing because physically they will use body language to communicate to you that your car is worth less that what it is by pointing out scratches dings and normal wear. To have an idea of what your car is worth look at local pricing for your car model with the same options and around the same miles and figure anywhere between $500 or $1500 less should be trade in. Also use edmunds.com appraises and figure about $500-$1000 LESS THAN WHAT THEY SAY also use the actual dealer blackbook.com that should be with in $200 give or take even if you have body damage on your care and you kept the insurace check it should be within $500 depending on damage. Dealers get cars fixed very very cheap!

If your not happy with there offer LEAVE!!!
Goto the next dealer!

If you are happy with the offer

In the finance office negotiate your interest rate. before you go to the dealer go to your bank, union or online and find out what the best rate you can get. If they can't beat your best offer tell them you will be back with a check DO NOT TAKE THE CAR WITH YOU OR SIGN ANYTHING!

Last but not least Negotiate the Warranty using the method I mentioned above.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.