Thinking...AGAIN!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7781
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 Sangria (Auto)

FF Reputation: 1 Chelica Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thinking...AGAIN!!!

Yup, I am very much thinking about selling the Auto Focus.

Problem is, I just paid for insurance on it, so I have about 6 months before I have to pay for another 6 months. This gives me about a 6 months gap to find a buyer.

But is worth it you think?

I really want a black 5 speed ZX3 Focus. BTW, I do not know how to drive a stick, never tried it, ever...so I am thinking that this is a great opp. for me to go ahead and learn it. It would suck to live and never experience driving a stick...

This is where I stand right now. The 01 Auto Focus that I drive right now has been paid for. I have 6 months of insurance. I have a Spoiler painted this color coming in about 1 week. I also have a Head Unit installed. I was thinking of getting a body kit and fix up the suspension on it with some Eibach setup. In the end, I am also planning on getting a full body paint job. A darker color, like Black with a tint of Red spots (Seen this on my buddy's Type R).

I really wanted a black car since all of the car I have driven seems to always be a shade of Red, the Celica was a Fire Engine Red. I have also seen A LOT of pics of black Focuses and have grown to love the color on the car.

So if I was to have a black Focus, I would not get a total body paint job with saves me about $2000 bucks and about 2-3 weeks without a car. If I was to get a manual trans. I would not dream about one day selling the Focus that I drive right now for another stick Focus. And finally, if I was to sell the Auto Focus and get a Manual Focus, I really think that my mind would be at ease and I could mod the car without feeling as if I am going to sell it some day.

What do you guys think? How should I go about handling the situation? Would it be best for me to go to a dealership and get an estimate on how bad they are going to rape me with the Trade-In value?

I have never purchased or performed a trade-in myself, so what other fees would I be expecting to pay? I am basically trying to weigh out the pros and cons and hopefully end up with a decision.

Thank you,
Alex

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5226
What I Drive: 02' Liquid Grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 spikNspan DAN Good Standing Member
I was in the same situation as you a month ago. My auto zts was getting old so I sold it and bought my manual zx3. I had also never driven a stick, but after the first week of driving it is so easy. I think you should take the opportunity to sell your car and get the stick. It really makes driving a lot more fun. You don't have to pay any fees for trading in I don't think. Mod out the manual once you get it, it will be a lot more worth it.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,130, Level 67
Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67 Points: 10,130, Level: 67
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Don't worry about the insurance. Most companies will give you a refund on the un-used portion. Inquire about that.

How many miles do you have right now? Because, don't expect much on trade-in. I was offered 4000 for a 30k 2001 ZX3 last year by the dealership. Sold it privately for more, but was a lot of work.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 05-24-2004, 12:11 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

O yeah, they will give me only 4K? Damn!! I also have a 01 ZX3 with 30K. How much did you end up getting when selling it privately? I kind of need a ballpark figure. Kelly Blue Book estimated that I should get around 8500+, Trade-In value was about $8000 they said. But you know how dealerships are.

As for the insurance, the payment has not cleared yet. I just sent the check like 2 days ago. What should I do regarding this? o yeah, I am with Farmers Insurance.

What is the price difference between a Manual ZX3 and a Manual SVT? I was thinking, if I was to get an SVT, I would not get a body kit for a long while since I love the way they look, that in itself would save me about $1800 (Body Kit + Paint + Install + Lowering Springs).

How much did you get the Manual ZX3 for SpinnSpan DAN?
Old 05-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Actually, I just spoke to my agent, and yeah, he said that as long as the car is the same model and whatnot, I can just call him with the Vin# and he will just transfer it. Sounds good to me.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Check out autotrader.com and kbb.com to see what your car is selling for. A manual Focus is probably one of the easiest car to drive and practice on.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

I checked out KBB.Com already. It said that it is selling for $8500.

What is considered a decent deal for a 5Speed ZX3? An 01 or above.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Get a '02 or newer just to be safe. Since your car is an auto, I'm thinking you can get one for about the same price as your car depending on the options.

KBB is just an average estimate, it will probably sell for about $500-$700 lower than suggested price.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

I will be happy if I could get it sold for $8000.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.