Help!!! My Engine It's Shot!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 53643
What I Drive: 2000 Gold Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 DobriM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Help!!!My Engine It's Shot!!!I HAVE A VIDEO

Hi, everyone
I have a huge problem with my Ford Focus 2000 SE, 106000 miles. Yesterday i try to start my car and there was loud grinding metal noise coming from the engine and it won't start. My car has been very well serviced. The oil level is fine, the timing belt it's been replaced on 85000 miles. I took it to my mechanic, he checked it and said that it's internal engine problem and i need new engine. He doesn't know what it is. I'm in shock, i just can't beleive it, how this engine stoped just like that, i didn't see that coming. Never heard any noises coming from the engine, it was performing very well. Could this problem be fixed without replacing the whole engine?My mechanic even doesn't know what is wrong with the engine. I don't know what to do! Anyone had this experience! At this point if it is really about getting new engine i would rather just donate the car instead of spending $3000-4000 on new engine when the car value is $4000. Any idea what should i do?

Thank you!!!

Last edited by DobriM; 02-20-2008 at 08:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Welcome to Focus Fanatics...

Sorry to hear about the motor. It's never a fun thing to deal with.

A couple of questions...

1. How attached are you to the car?

2. Do you WANT a new car?

The simple truth is that if you are even partially agreeble to keeping the car, then a new engine is a good investment.

Basically, you would be saving $4,000 to spend twice that and get into a car payment.

The engine would cost you $166 per month over 2 years (not counting interest)

You are assured that a car payment would be double that for a minimum of 3 years.

I would recommend that you do some research here and online. There are engine deals to be had all over the place.

It might even give you the opportunity to upgrade performance if you are interested.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 02-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35913
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 nate2006 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
First thing that came to mind was that your starter has gone out. Check that out before making a big decision like buying a new car. If your mechanic is not able to diagnose the problem and is recommending a new engine I would be wary. Maybe check with a different mechanic.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'm not attached to the car. I need bigger car and i was gonna sell this one!
It would be nice if i can fix this and get some money back but i guess it's major plroblem. The thing it is i don't know what it is wrong with the engine, my mechanic doesn't know either. It's hard for me to accept that there is nothing that can be done to it and the only option would be new engine.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I will check the starter, but the mechanic was so sure that was internal noise. I thought that it was the starter too but....I made an appointment with another mechanic for Tuesday. It cost me $75 for tow track already and it would be another $85 to the other mechanic, but i don't want to give up ,yet! Also i found Ford Ranger in good condition for $1800 i might get this one till i figure out what to do! I'm in the construction business and i need working car and can't stay without one.

Last edited by DobriM; 02-16-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43791
What I Drive: 2005 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 28 Grumpy Great Standing Member
Jeez!......I wouldn't panic yet. Like nate2006 has suggested, it sounds like the starter (an issue with the solenoid or bendix causing the starter not to engage the flywheel ring gear), not the engine. Think about it.......if the engine was running fine and then all you did was shut it down, and it hasn't started and run, how can anyone say that this is a serious internal engine problem?? Have another mech. look at it. Don't keep trying to start it and "grinding" the starter. Sometimes all that causes this issue is a bad starter solenoid contact, particularly if your starter is the original.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Exactly! That's why i don't beleive it! By the way i forgot to mention that the car had some issues when i will start the engine. The engine wants to get stall, but if i force it a little bit just for sec it goes back to normal, that would heppend once in a while, like once a month. They did check this a year ago, but they couldn't find anything and like i said the car was running like new! That day when this happend the car did this twice and the third time was the time i heard this scary noise. Thank you all for the support!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49788
What I Drive: a car and a suv

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 wood_e Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
pull the plugs and try to turn the crank bolt. It should turn and if it does then your engine should be ok
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
my guess is a dead spot in the starter... it happens to all cars. wich would explain the wony start issue you had till it "died" i'd slap a new starter on (or a good junkyard one) and see if it starts then...

dont dead starters make a grinding sound? i know there is the fuel pump sound.... maybe thats what your hearing so pull fuse 40 under the hood and try to start it. if the sound goes away then your listening to the fuel pump and it's probably a starter related issue
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The fuel pump is new, water pump as well. I did tune up few months ago. This is what really pessing me off, i took good care of this car and this is what i get. I'm really hopping that is the starter. What doesn't make sense is if it is the starter why the mechanic is telling me is internal sound, how hard would be for mechanic to determinate starter problem. I have used these guys for over 3 years and they never done me wrong. Anyway i really want to find out what is wrong with it and if it is something very expensive i will just smash hell out of this car, because this is how i feel and then i will sell it to junkyard.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.