SON OF A !@#$%, GRRRR.... one toasted SVT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2004, 02:54 PM   #1

Fan#: 61
FF Reputation: 4 SVT4ME Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SON OF A !@#$%, GRRRR.... one toasted SVT

Well, folks, its finally happened. My ultra-dependable and problem-free SVT finally came down with a problem, and it doesn't look good. It very suddenly and very noticeably has developed a loud whirring/scraping sound that appears to be emanating from the... you guessed it... transaxle. Yippee! I have noticed over the last few months that it has started to make a very slight version of the "marbles in a can" sound, but figured I would put off any visits to the dealer until somebody could prove Ford had actually re-engineered the flywheel. I guess I don't get to wait for that after all.

It's only when the engine is running, it doesn't matter whether you are in gear or not, what speed you're going - any time the engine is running it is making a sound that can best be described as something going around in a circle as it scrapes against something else "woosh-woosh-woosh-woosh" and it's pretty dang loud.

My immediate thought was the transaxle so I stopped driving and called Ford Roadside Assistance. When the tow truck driver came out, he had me start the car and listened to it. After a minute of prodding around and then getting under the driver's side of the engine - he popped his head back up and said "yup, sounds like something scraping around inside the transmission." So once I get an appointment with the dealer I will get it towed there and find out how long I'll be without a Focus...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 6023
What I Drive: 2003 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 COSVT03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hehe I have plenty of experience with clutches in my old car. Two possibilities. One is, if the pressure plate is strong enough and has enough we will say "throw" you took off one side of your clutch and seeing as the rivets holding on your clutch plates are made of medal the sound you are hearing is metal-metal grinding. Because of the even pressure of the pressure plate they all wear evenly! YAY!...or over time you just had a little TOO much of a lead foot and burned the clutch down to the rivets and it just needs to be changed! Hopefully you have warranty to help you out with this. But if you could, get a picture of it when its changed? If Im wrong let me know!

Ohh I also forgot. Sorry to hear it is broken!

*Get Well Soon* Best wishes on a quick recovery
Love, CompOrangeSVT
Old 05-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #3

Yeah, see that's the thing. The car only has 18,000 miles on it, and I do know how to drive a stick (drove two stick cars before this one) so it seems a little premature for the clutch to have gone out. I can't say I drive like an old lady, I do have fun, but honestly 80-90% of my driving is just smooth, easy, around-town driving. The clutch has not shown any signs of being worn out, I have not noticed a change in the working of the clutch mechanism since the day I bought it.

I'm wondering if it is what I've heard some SVT owners said happened to theirs, which is that the bolts holding the flywheel on came loose. I dunno what it is I guess I'll found out; its weird in the sense that it is a CONSTANT, that is, it doesn't change with RPM's. No matter the speed of the engine or the car if its in motion, or the engagement of the clutch, it makes a somewhat slow and constant "woosh-woosh" sound.

LOL, thanks for the condolences. I just hope I get my car back from the dealer in one piece with no new scratches, stains, etc.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 326
What I Drive: 2013 PB Ti Hatch +Handling

Points 17,788, Level 84
Points: 17,788, Level: 84 Points: 17,788, Level: 84 Points: 17,788, Level: 84
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 mikesusz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
I have noticed over the last few months that it has started to make a very slight version of the "marbles in a can" sound, but figured I would put off any visits to the dealer until somebody could prove Ford had actually re-engineered the flywheel.
wow. if your car is under warranty, and it starts making any type of strange noise, i'd get it to the dealer immediately.

hopefully it's a known issue and they'll have to pick up the tab on anything that needs to be fixed.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:30 PM   #5
Mtn. Dew

Fan#: 101
What I Drive: 2013 Taffeta White Civic Si

Points 15,945, Level 81
Points: 15,945, Level: 81 Points: 15,945, Level: 81 Points: 15,945, Level: 81
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 45 Lil_RedZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Is it under warranty? I'm sorry to hear about that.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:33 PM   #6

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
Got to still be under warranty, its an 02'.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #7

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
Oh...the 05's are out already arent they...doh.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #8

It's under warranty until May of 05 or 36,000 miles whichever comes first, and May of next year will come a lot faster than 36,000 miles the way I drive it.

I did not take it to the dealer earlier because I knew exactly what the sound (the rattling/marbles) was and I was hoping the car would make it without something like this happening until Ford released the redesigned flywheel for the SVT. I must say the sound now is a lot worse.

I forgot the best part! The tow truck driver told me "I tow a lot of Focuses. And F-150's. Focuses and F-150's, lots of em." Nice to know I'm part of a special club.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12
What I Drive: OLD: '00 Black ZX3, New: Pontiac G6

FF Reputation: 1 hotfocus Good Standing Member
Damn sorry to hear, they better give you a free loaner.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:05 PM   #10

Yeah, sucks, especially when we are so close to getting a new part (maybe?!). People are throwing around June/July as a date for the new part but I can't go without a car just waiting for SVT to release a part.

I also just noticed a very slight crease about 1/4" inward from the edge of the hood where the tow truck driver pushed with his hand to close the hood. Nice, a hood so weak a guy can bend the metal just pushing it shut.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.