SVT and/or 2005 ZX4 ST help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8087
FF Reputation: 1 Venesectrix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SVT and/or 2005 ZX4 ST help

Hello!

Brand new here, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I guess I'm leaning towards a SVT the most, so I thought I'd post here. I don't know anything about cars... and even less about the Focus. I've been reading about them lately, and they look like a good car. I'm really interested in getting one, but I have a few questions. I would be grateful to anyone taking the time to help me out!

First, I'm looking at either a 2004 SVT (maybe 2003?) or a 2005 ZX4 ST. I realize many people haven't had a chance to test the 2005 model, but I'm interested in comparison tests. Does anyone know how they rate against each other as far as acceleration and speed goes? I know the technical details like HP and torque, but not how they really perform. Just so you know, I probably won't be modding my car anytime soon (if ever), as I'm not really into that. So we're dealing with stock cars, I guess. I'd just like to know which you guys think will perform better as far as stop-and-go type of performance or anything like that.

Second, I know there were recalls on the 2001 Focus (maybe 2000, too?). I looked at some of the bulletins in the other discussion area, and I didn't see anything major with the 2003 SVT. Is it basically assumed that all the major recall issues have been worked out from 2002 and beyond?

Third, this should probably go in the audiophile area, but I'd just like a quick answer ... nothing to in-depth. I'll probably get the audiophile upgrade, just because I don't really want to upgrade the sound system myself. I just wondered if it was a noticeable difference, or should I just forget it?

Last, some places say the 2004 SVT has a 5-speed manual transmission, while other places describe a 6-speed transmission. I'm not sure which it is, maybe both?

Again, thanks for your time and help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2732
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT Focus / Red Inserts / YRFO Reflash / K&N Drop-In

FF Reputation: 1 Turbo_SVT420 Good Standing Member
the Audiophile is a GOOD system. it BUMPS and SOUNDs really good... the best stock system i have ever heard. it comes with a 6 cd in-dash cd changer, and a 290W amp and 8" sub. Get it or ull be sorry... i promise u. and the other thing... ALL SVTs have 6speeds... they have the GeTreg 6speed, and thats the only option on the SVT. Also all ull need to do if u get a 2003, maybe even 2004 is get the PCM update, called the YRFO. theres alot of forums on here about it, just read up. it eliminates all of the minor problems like the batterylight coming on, and a coldstart issue after a few miles are on the car. PM me if u need anything else. i have an O3 svt
Old 05-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5280
What I Drive: 2006 FUSION SEL

FF Reputation: 1 EURO04SVT Good Standing Member
We have the ST at work and it is ok but, its no SVT. Stock for stock the SVT will walk on the ST. With a few mods like Full exhaust it could hand with a stock SVT. The ST is kind of plain jane if you will and doesnt have the feel or look like you get with the SVT and its european heritage.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Check what insurance would cost for the two, and realize that the SVT requires premium gas, and the ST requires regular. Big price diff. Plus the ST has way better low end torque so it is more pleasurable around town. I have the audiophile and love it.
ST crew #18
Old 05-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
If you drive in the city and usealy in medium to heavy traffic get the ST.
Or if you really like to shift gears constantly and working a clutch in traffic up hill go for the SVT.
If your looking for the fun car it is by far the SVT and why not it's loaded but the ECU does need the reprogramming on it. After 2002 80% of the flaws in the SVT where worked out but there are a few left over flaws. As far as stop and go the SVT has stopping power to spare but off the line first gear the St has great power but after that an SVT will hand the ST it's ass. Cornering in the SVT is superior to almost any car with out mods. You will find your self going through turns very aggressively. Audio wise thats just your call but if there is no intent to upgrade get the audiophile system it comes stock in the SVT but a upgrade for the ST. SVT's only come in 6speed transaxles the standerd focus has the 5speed.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4986
What I Drive: 2004 Black Ford Ranger Edge Regular Cab 4x2

FF Reputation: 1 FocusZX3Hatchback Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
Check what insurance would cost for the two, and realize that the SVT requires premium gas, and the ST requires regular. Big price diff. Plus the ST has way better low end torque so it is more pleasurable around town. I have the audiophile and love it.

the price for gas for my svt focus isnt that expensinve and i live in california.....i pay $24.00 for a full tank of gas..Insted of $45.00 for my old Expedition...what a price diffrence Im glad that I have my svt focus
SVT Focus 3 door assembly SVT #978 build of 1978
day that i got my car 3-26-04
^^Sold!!
<font face="Verdana" size=4>Hey, %n! Check me out on <a href="http://www.myspace.com/EricRobinson" target="_blank">MySpace!</a></font>
Old 05-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8087
FF Reputation: 1 Venesectrix Good Standing Member
Okay, cool! Thanks for all the good information. I think you're right about the SVT being a lot faster than the ST. I test drove them both and the SVT seems more fun. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2059
What I Drive: SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Seb656 Good Standing Member
SVT Focus is an extremely fun car it doesn't get the best gas milage but I gurante you will love it there are only a few things I could improve about it 1. More power (super or turbo) 2. AWD 3. Resale Value My biggest problem with Foci is they have a bad resale value but if your buying one that can work to your advantage

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with STDs... You wanna hit it, but you‘re afraid of the consequences."

My SVT Focus is #677 of 3985
Old 05-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3601
FF Reputation: 1 007 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
The ST has a 14 gallon tank and the SVT has a 13.2 gallon tank. There is a price difference of .20 cents between premium and regular unleaded. Going by that for prices here in Dallas, $1.91 * 14 = $26.74 for a full tank on the ST. The SVT would be 13.2 * $2.11 = $27.85. That is a difference of $27.85 - $26.74 = $1.11. How is that a big difference?

Second, what is the "way better low end torque" you're talking about. SVT = 145 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm. The ST = 154 ft-lbs @ 4250 rpm. 9 ft-lbs of torque difference, you classify that as "way better?" What is "way better" is the horsepower difference between the two cars. SVT = 170 hp @ 7000 rpm vs ST 151 hp @ 5750 rpm. That is a difference of 19 hp, which is "way better." Off the line the ST might pull a little, but by third gear the SVT should be walking the ST nicely. Sure you can mod out the ST, but then you break the warranty. Don't forget, pleny of mods for the SVT as well.

And finally, my insurance company quoted me a difference of $4 between the price of my SVT and a regular ZX5 I was planning on buying. My SVT costs $85 a month to insure, the PZEV ZX5 I almost bought would have been $81 a month, big deal.

The ST is expensive, it's incredibly boring looking, and it will not provide the performance of the SVT. I say if you can find an 04 SVT grab it while you can, with the incentives Ford is offering and the way dealers are willing to negotiate, you can get an SVT for a killer price. Oh yeah, don't skimp on the audiophile, it is easily one of the best stock sound systems sold in any car in America, yes, that includes high end luxury cars too. The system is incredible, it will not distort no matter how loud the volume, and it stays incredible crisp and clear. I love it.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5280
What I Drive: 2006 FUSION SEL

FF Reputation: 1 EURO04SVT Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 007
The ST has a 14 gallon tank and the SVT has a 13.2 gallon tank. There is a price difference of .20 cents between premium and regular unleaded. Going by that for prices here in Dallas, $1.91 * 14 = $26.74 for a full tank on the ST. The SVT would be 13.2 * $2.11 = $27.85. That is a difference of $27.85 - $26.74 = $1.11. How is that a big difference?

Second, what is the "way better low end torque" you're talking about. SVT = 145 ft-lbs @ 5500 rpm. The ST = 154 ft-lbs @ 4250 rpm. 9 ft-lbs of torque difference, you classify that as "way better?" What is "way better" is the horsepower difference between the two cars. SVT = 170 hp @ 7000 rpm vs ST 151 hp @ 5750 rpm. That is a difference of 19 hp, which is "way better." Off the line the ST might pull a little, but by third gear the SVT should be walking the ST nicely. Sure you can mod out the ST, but then you break the warranty. Don't forget, pleny of mods for the SVT as well.

And finally, my insurance company quoted me a difference of $4 between the price of my SVT and a regular ZX5 I was planning on buying. My SVT costs $85 a month to insure, the PZEV ZX5 I almost bought would have been $81 a month, big deal.

The ST is expensive, it's incredibly boring looking, and it will not provide the performance of the SVT. I say if you can find an 04 SVT grab it while you can, with the incentives Ford is offering and the way dealers are willing to negotiate, you can get an SVT for a killer price. Oh yeah, don't skimp on the audiophile, it is easily one of the best stock sound systems sold in any car in America, yes, that includes high end luxury cars too. The system is incredible, it will not distort no matter how loud the volume, and it stays incredible crisp and clear. I love it.
Nicely put . Not to mention a ZX4 ST is a normal build vehicle while the SVT is limited production and the hook up when getting service done on the SVT. Oh yeah, the ST doesnt get with an SVT, I raced the one off the lot

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.