Model choice - my dilemma - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2003, 07:26 PM   #1
BVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1111
What I Drive: SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 BVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Model choice - my dilemma

First post from a www.impreza.net refugee.

Due to a lemon law situation, I have a $17,000 credit with Ford, that I can only use on a new Ford. I can't use the current $2,000 rebates, so I really only have $15,000 toward any non-SVT Focus. The car will belong to my wife for a few years then be mine.

A little about me. I like long walks on the beach, and candlelit dinners...

Er, I'm an open-minded Subaru rally/autox fan who has great respect for the performance potential of the Focus. Our SE Wagon was a good little hauler, but it leaked water and got moldy. Puke.

We're happy to get a new Focus, but I want something sportier than the SE. I'm leaning toward the ZX5 Premium/ABS or the SVT 5-door. I'm in New England, so I automatically get the PZEV 2.3 engine with any non-SVT. Some questions, and I would have searched but my kid crapped his pants and we have to pack for moving etc. etc. etc.:

- Does the non-SVT ABS package automatically include rear discs?

- How "sporty" is the non-SVT "sport" suspension package that comes with the higher-end ZX5 and ZTS? How 'bout the "sport" seats?

- How well will the PZEV 2.3 be supported in the performance aftermarket in lieu of the upcoming 2.0 version I see people talking about? Will the 2.3 just be a holdover for one year or will it take the place of the Zetec as the mid-grade Focus engine? Does the emissions equipment make it difficult to modify?

- Is the SVT worth the extra 3 grand?

- How has resale been on the SVT compared to the rest of the Focii? It has no rebate where all the others have $2,000, so it's worth that much more after the sale, at least at first.

- How does the SVT run on regular or mid-grade fuel? Will it knock like a monster or will it just lose some "oomph?" Gas ain't cheap, and I'm not as concerned about max power until I decide to go AutoXing.

- How well is the full-length ZTW wagon supported in the suspension aftermarket? I understand the rear suspension design is different to make more cargo room.

Bottom line: I want the ZX5 or SVT, but I don't know if it has enought space for a family with two small kids and all their gear. I also live in snowy Vermont and will have to spring for snow tires and/or rims, and the 17's aren't cheap.

Help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
if u have 17 that u need to spend at ford get an svt if u can. otherwise id say go for whatever one you really like. the 2.3L has a little bit o aftermarket out right now, intake, header, exhaust, pulley, maf, and im not too sure what else. there has been talk that a 2.3 will be released a little dif everywhere else and might not be pzev. so the aftermarket really could be limited if thats the case. look into that, id call up focus central and focus sport during the week to get their 2 cents
Old 10-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

Points 35,712, Level 100
Points: 35,712, Level: 100 Points: 35,712, Level: 100 Points: 35,712, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
wow your in a bind.... test drive them all.. what ever feels right get!
Old 10-04-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 715
What I Drive: 02 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 inline_engine_lover Good Standing Member
if i were you, i'd get the regular old ZX5. more performance parts, and the SVT is likely a goner, so there goes aftermarket on that. ZTW wouldn't be a bad choice, i got to see viney's today, and i like. (and yes, there are suspension parts out for the wagon.) back to the PZEV, i've just had this feeling in my gut that it won't last. the zetec is too popular in my mind. however, i could be wrong.
good luck though, and just get whatever feels right for you.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:30 AM   #5
BVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1111
What I Drive: SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 BVT Good Standing Member
Re: Model choice - my dilemma

Thanks. I still have a few questions:

- Does the non-SVT ABS option automatically include rear discs? I can't find that anywhere on the web and I don't trust the sales guy - they usually get details like this wrong.

Survey says: ______________________________

- How "sporty" is the non-SVT "sport" suspension that comes with the higher-end ZX5 and ZTS? Any owners care to share?

- How well does the high-compression SVT run on regular or mid-grade fuel? Will it knock like a monster or will it just lose some "oomph?" Gas ain't cheap, and I'm not as concerned about max power until I decide to go AutoXing.

Thanks again for any more info. I'll let you know what I get.

(Survey says: I am a dork, I know)
Old 10-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 424
What I Drive: 2001 Infra Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Red RocketZx3 Good Standing Member
wow. a AWD ztw sure would be sweet in the snow since that is an issue for ya. um but yeah thats prolly not an option. heh
Old 10-05-2003, 10:04 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
If you get ABS or advancTrac option, you get 4wheel anti-lock brakes, yes. All the foci have decent suspension parts, but if you're looking for performance, you'd have to change them anyways (unless you have svt's, they hold up nicely stock). If you get an svt, prepare to run premium and nothing else. I'd highly suggest getting the SVT, if it were me, i'd get an 03 svt w/ European appearance package. Oh yes baby yes, competition orange, HID, Recaro seats, 17x7 multi-spoke argent wheels, sexy. The ONLY threethings that i would think would be an issue for you is : Gas, you use regular 87 on the regular focus, and premium on svt. and the svt's only come with 6speeds, does your wife mind driving a 6spd? And, do you plan to do extensive modding? If you plan on doing heavy modding, the regular zetec and 2.3 would be easier to mod. If you want a nice rocket out of the box type deal and don't plan on doing big mods, get svt. All in all, you get a nicer body kit, most dealer lot svt's have HID's on them, you get the nice looking 5 spoke 17x7 wheels, nicer seats, sportier exhaust/suspension, and MORE POWER.

My ZX5 Focus!
Old 10-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
NO.. the ABS does NOT come with rear disks. The advance trac option DOES come with rear disks. This is the big bad regret I have on mine. I should have gotten advance trac!! ( I have ABS.. no rear disks.)
ST crew #18
Old 10-06-2003, 02:16 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1098
What I Drive: '03 5-door SVT Focus, '89 Mustang 5.0

FF Reputation: 1 Chucko Good Standing Member
The 5-door SVT is an amazingly practical package for such a fun car. Room and easy access for 4 adults, adequate cargo space in the back. Premium gas only though. As for dedicated winter tires and wheels - the recommended "alternate" tire size in the owner's manual is 205/60-16, should be easier to find than 17" snows!

The base SVT seats are just fine, and a whole lot better than the non-SVT seats. No doubt you'll want the "bun warmer" option.

One thing to watch out for - the Audiophlle sound system has a subwoofer that eats up a bunch of cargo space. I would not recommend this if you want to haul more than a couple bags of groceries. I specifically went looking for an SVT without it.

Oh, and there are incentives on the SVTs. $2K cash, $1K cash and 0.9%, or 0%. I took the middle option.

The wagon can hold huge amounts of cargo, but you already knew that.
'03 CD Silver SVT Focus 5-door, #2001 of 2173
(and a '89 Mustang 5.0)
Old 10-06-2003, 02:35 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 324
What I Drive: VW GLI 1.8Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 CowsGoMoo Good Standing Member
then i stand corrected.

My ZX5 Focus!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.