My 05 dying already... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27380
What I Drive: 2005 sangria red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 rockn4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry My 05 dying already...

So it's been a long time since I have posted on here, but I thought i would share my story of my 3 1/2 hour drive back from the Cleveland Browns game.

2 weeks ago i was at the Browns snow bowl when we owned the Bills (whats a bill? ) joking.. We got roughly 7" of snow within 4 hours. Started snowing when the game started, so the 30 minute drive up to the game wasn't so bad. Coming home, as soon as getting on the highway my engine was bogging, bad.. I tried to give it gas and it would only bog more. I couldn't give it any gas or it would stall. So I figured I would pull over, set my hazards, and let it idle. Well it stalls anyway. I try to start it. CRANKS AND CRANKS AND CRANKS. At times it would start, but only to stall again. I figured it was a bad case of the hard start TSB.. WRONG! I open the hood, see if I had any major leaks, but everything seemed fine. Try to start it again, but nothing. I sat on the side of the on ramp for another 5 minutes and try to start it again, and it starts right up like nothing happened.

I get going, and remember it's a blizzard so everyone is driving < 30mph. Stalls again. Same thing, won't start. I figured I had bad gas, so when the car started back up I would hit the nearest gas station. After 10 minutes of sitting there, it starts back up, I get to the BP, fill it up and let it idle for 15 minutes in the lot. Seems good, so i figure I will get back on the highway. Within 10 minutes on the road, it dies AGAIN! . I was so pissed at this point. .. After another 10 or so minutes it starts back up, on my way home it stalls and i am stuck on the side of the highway 5 times.

By the end of the night my:
Engine light is on
Oil light was on (eventually went off that night)
SRS airbag light is on

Take it to the dealer next day. Fuel pump was dying, Front crash sensor was dead (both covered by warranty.. (was at 35,850 on my 36,000 miles). and they wanted to charge me $70 to replace the fuel filter. I did it myself for $9.50 from autozone.

Now after the changed the pump. My fuel gauge is way off. When it is full it shows 3/4. My car would not start exactly 7 days after it was replaced. Same type of problem. Would crank and crank, sometimes starting for a few seconds like it was choking, and stall. I changed the fuel filter when it started doing that again, and sooooo far it has been ok (knock on wood)

I hate having an unreliable car. Goodnight

Steeda CAI, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom exhaust, Tint, Clear side markers, Blue interior neons, Vent shades, Focus Central Strut bar, shorty antenna
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

Points 13,195, Level 74
Points: 13,195, Level: 74 Points: 13,195, Level: 74 Points: 13,195, Level: 74
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Any car will have problems if you do not change the fuel filter once in a while...

but ya 36k miles is a little early for that to be happening.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 244,429, Level 100
Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
? Was this the first fuel filter?? I do mine every 30k.There is some crappy fuel out there these days.

Well, it sounds like the problem is fixxed. Hope it is. Sometimes things like that happen.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48052
What I Drive: 2004 Subaru WRX

FF Reputation: 1 walshka07 Good Standing Member
i had similar problems after around 8500 miles i posted up all my problems not too long ago it should only be a few a page or two back. i had a bunch of problems with my 05

Matt
Old 01-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #5

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
trade her in
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 12,348, Level 72
Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72 Points: 12,348, Level: 72
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
What I would do if I was you!
Buy a can of "Heet" just in case I have some water in the tank. And replace the fuel filter if it wasn't a ford part (because I am familiar with the quality of Autozone generic parts). Lastly I would clean the MAF and check the air filter.
Thats my 2 cents! ;)
Last of the Hatches #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.