New to Focus... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52670
What I Drive: F350 dually, Fox Mustang & 03 Focus

Points 69, Level 1
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Rook Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New to Focus...

I am new to the board and am considering the purchase of a used Focus...

From looking around it appears that the majority of the folks on the board are into their cars for the modifications and performance. I am considering a Focus for a commuter car and hope you all have some suggestions, advice, etc...

I have looked at Mazda 626's, Corrollas, Civics, etc... My basic requirements are a car with four doors, 30+ miles to the gallon on the highway, 5 speed, is durable and cheap. With emphasis on cheap!!!

I have looked at several 2000's and 2001's and all of them have been priced around $3700 and have 100,000+ miles. This is the approximate price range I am looking for...

Is it common for the Focus to go 200,000+ miles?

What are some of the problems found with the 2000 - 2001 model years?

I commute 60 miles a day to the office and approximately 50 of those miles are on the highway. I currently drive a 2001 F150 and the gas is absolutely killing me!!! During 2007 I averaged $395/month in fuel costs and it appears gas prices are going to keep rising...

I will also be replacing the F150 with a F350 dually in the next few months. So, you can see I REALLY need a "commuter" car... I drag race a Mustang and the F350 will be used to pull an enclosed trailer to the track. I have always been a "Ford person" and would really prefer to stay that way with a Focus instead of one of the imports...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 14,511, Level 78
Points: 14,511, Level: 78 Points: 14,511, Level: 78 Points: 14,511, Level: 78
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
to ff.com

anyone on here will try to sell you on a focus of course, i do alot of driving as well, not as much as you but at least 40 miles a day.

i would stay away from the 2000 and 2001 focus, the early years had alot of problems and recalls if you decide to buy an early focus do your research and check to see if everything has been done.

i have 82,000 trouble free miles on my 04 and i dont see why i couldnt reach 200,000 which i hope it does i know a while back there was a member on here that had well over 200,000mi on theirs and i see quite a few where i work with over 100,000.

good luck with the car search and again
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 01-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #3

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
i have a 2003 have 119,000 and ive been very fortunate,, 1 issue. was fuel pump screen and sock,not the pump its self.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: 03 EAP

Points 42,753, Level 100
Points: 42,753, Level: 100 Points: 42,753, Level: 100 Points: 42,753, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
zetec engines are good for 250k easy
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 69, Level 1
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

What are some of the problems with the 2000 - 2001 models?

Is there any thing in particular to be on the "look out" for when looking at a potential Focus?

What years did the Z-Tech come in?

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

Points 69, Level 1
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
One other thing...

How are the automatic tranmissions in the Focus?

Are there any problems? If so, what are the potential problems?

How does an automatic equipped Focus compare to a five speed Focus regarding fuel mileage?

For example, in doing research on the Mazda 626 I found that the automatics that were put behind the four cylinder cars had a terrible reputation for "frying". Apparently, the transmission was simply too small for the weight of the vehicle.

Thanks again!!!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Focus autox'r

Fan#: 40398
What I Drive: zx3

FF Reputation: 41 Kfokus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Zetec engines used in focus from 00-04.
Automatics are ok. I guess better than mazda auto tranns..I blew up one in a 323protege.
I would think the 5spd would get better mpg cause you have more control over engine rpm and the abilty to coast alot.But sorry no proof on which gets better mpg.I think the 05+ 2.0 duratecs get slightly better mpg. than zetec's but cost more as they are newer.
00-02 5spd mid-mileage foci should be obtainable for less than 2500.

[QUOTE=focusman6297;1909684]
i would stay away from the 2000 and 2001 focus, the early years had alot of problems and recalls if you decide to buy an early focus do your research and check to see if everything has been done.
QUOTE]
^WHAT RECALLS?^ besides the ignition cylinder's in some FoFo.
I have a 01 and havent had a single problem that was'nt maintence related.
Mine had <60k for 6g= 3yrs ago when dealer wanted 9500$. Now w/ >120,000mi and the valve train was in excellent condition when I pulled it apart last week to install cams.
So if you are a mechaniclly inclined and can do maintence yourself. Not that theres any more maintence required w/ fofo than any other high-mileage vehicle.
Then teh focus would def be a smart choice for a mpg freindly daily driver.
Good luck and WELCOME!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40369
What I Drive: 03 EAP SVT 3DR- CD SILVER

FF Reputation: 1 markitos Good Standing Member
As long as the recalls have been completed on the 00-01 models you should be fine. I had a 00 spi focus had about 103,000 miles on it; no other issues besides the recalls.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Points 69, Level 1
Level Up 38% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Thanks again for the information!!!

I am fairly mechanically inclined... I have built several small block Fords, including the present 580 hp naturally aspirated 365 cubic inch engine in my Mustang. But everything I have done in the past has been with a carb and non-computer controlled. I guess I am just "old school"... Whenever the C4 in the race car starts "flairing" the 2/3 shift I just pull it out and take it to my "trans man"... To say I prefer a Holley and a manual transmission is an understatement!!!

Thanks again... You all have been a tremendous help!!! If you all have any other information please pass it along...
Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32065
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 9 bonejob Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post

Is it common for the Focus to go 200,000+ miles?

What are some of the problems found with the 2000 - 2001 model years?
Early models had zillions of recalls. Too many to list here. (I refer you to this link for Focus recall info: Ford Focus: Recalls & Technical Service Bulletins) Make sure the one you buy has had them all addressed! These were factory recalls, so the repairs will be free of charge. These were early "teething" problems with a then new model and when fixed, the affected cars give good service.

As for 200,000 miles, I see no problem with that. I live in Wisconsin, notorious for alcoholism (beer), high cholesterol (bratwurst), football (UW Badgers and Green Bay Packers) and the highest tonnage of road salt dumped per mile in the United States. I see plenty of early Foci still running around rust-free. In fact, I have yet to see any rust buckets. For a model line that is now in its ninth year, that is pretty darn good. If Wisconsin doesn't give a car leprosy, pretty much nothing will. In the winter time, I just drive her through a car wash every week to rinse off the salt - a brushless one with a good undercarriage spray cycle.

I've heard that automatic transmission versions have more problems than 5-speeds. I can't support that empirically, though. I'm biased though. I think the Focus's 4-speed automatic is mediocre (as in old-tech, inefficient - significant power and mpg hit), but that the standard 5-speed is pretty slick - smooth shifter and clutch and well-chosen ratios. You might have trouble finding a stick, though, especially if you are picky about body style, color and equipment. I had a heck of a time. My local dealer had to go 400 miles to find the car I wanted.

As for the motors, they are strong. Both the Ztec and the later Duratecs are over-engineered and under-stressed in stock tune - that is, they will tolerate supercharging, turbocharging, ram air, headers, whatever you want to do - for WAY more than stock horsepower. For example, the MazdaSpeed3 uses the same bottom end as the Duratec four, and it is boosted to 263 horsepower! Keep them properly cooled, keep them well-oiled, and they should do very well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.