Sort of a new owner... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7781
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 Sangria (Auto)

FF Reputation: 1 Chelica Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sort of a new owner...

What's up guys?

Well here is the situation. I am now a driver of a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 (Auto).

Sort of a new owner because I traded cars with my parents. Used to drive a 2000 Celica GT but even tho I had paid it off, my parents got into some deep financial problems and since my Celica was still under their name, it got sucked in as part of their problem, so I lost the damn thing!!!

But anywho, since the Focus is under my name, that means I can do anything to it. So what do you guys think? Is it worth it for me to keep this ZX3 with only 15,000 miles on it and upgrade a few things here and there, or should I sell her?

Thanks, and wanted to say that this board looks very informative, loving it already.

Last edited by Chelica; 05-14-2004 at 10:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
well, most of the answers on here will be a little biased, of course.

i would say keep it and mod it when you can, they are great cars.

and congrats on the car!
Old 05-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Deep down inside I really do want to keep it, that is sort of a reason why I posted here, lol.

But yeah, even if it is automatic should I still keep it? The car was very well maintaned so I doubt that I could get a nice car for about $9000.

What kind of modifications should I tend to research on? The Celica that I owned was kitted with a Wings West setup and that was it. I am thinking of getting a very clean looking body kit for the Focus, which company should I be looking for regarding this? Money is a bit tight, so I cannot be spending crazy money.

I am also thinking about getting a paint job since the Focus is that ugly dark red color.

Alex
Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
Capt. Urn

the focus is an excelent car, and has been very reliable for most of the people here, even with an auto tranny. they atx may limit you from doing some major mods, like turbo, but bolt ons should not give you much of a problem.

best thing to do is glance through the performance chat for your particular engine, once we figure out what that is , and through the exterior mods forum. that should atleast give you a good place to start. and if you have more questions, try the search feature, or feel free to ask.

a decent paint job will cost you an arm and a leg, but it might be worth it when you get the cash.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:09 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Man, I have only been here for about 10 mins and you have helped me out a lot, haha, thanks!!

Yeah, I wanted a stick so that I can have more fun, but even with modding the car, I would not go all out. Will prolly drop and intake, exhaust, then focus on the exterior.

But here are the specs:
2001 ZX3
2.0L DOHC 16V Zetec
Automatic Transaxle
16" Alu 6-Spoke Wheel
Solar Tinted Glass

Anything on top of your head that I should look forward in doing?

How much does a paint job usually cost? $1000?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:26 PM   #6
Capt. Urn

wow, an 01 with 15k miles. that is pretty impressive. (sorry, i missed that the frist time, lol) my 03 has 21k. i guess you can see how much i love my car.

intake and exaust always sounds good. if you want a drop, most ppl recomend an upgraded suspension that includes a drop. some people use air bags, but the upgraded suspension gives you drop and better handeling.

tint is always really popular. as well as an upgraded stereo.

for cheap mods to get you started, try debadging the back end, or painting some interior pieces.

and of course, you can find all the info you could possibly need for all of this on the site.

you could get a new paint job for $1K, but it would be from a cheap shop. usually cheap paint jobs dont do hard to get areas, like the engine bay, or door sills, etc., if you want a full and complete job, that will be much higher quality, you are looking at 2 or 3 k, i think. though i am no paint expert, best thing to do is call around to local shops for prices cause they can very widely. but remember, you get what you pay for.

glad i could help ya. i post from work so wednesday-sunday afternoon-evening i am always on. i am quite happy to help cause it sure beats sitting here doing nothing. lol. monday and tuesday, you will never see me. i am going home in about 45 mins, so you wont be seing much more of me this evening. but there is usually always someone helpful here. if you need anything just holler, or drop me a pm.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I was thinking about something else regarding the paintjob. It cost me $900 bucks for a shop here to paint and install a kit on my Celica. I say it will be about $2000 for the whole car to be painted. But really tho, this Sangria red is not that great. I would love it twice as much if it was black, ooooo....

But yeah, I checked out the exhaust, and am interested in the Focus Stealth Exhaust. Is it really $300 ish? Or can it be had for less? I will get this for sure since the stock exhaust looks weak.

How about intake? Which is the best? Injen cold air intake? I am not trying to make the car sounds like a beast or anything, I want that smooth sounding sound.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2692
What I Drive: 2003 sangria red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 staticprevails4 Good Standing Member
welcome to the forum. I'd say keep the focus. you can allways upgrade or swap out that auto besies there are tons of aftermarket parts and accessories for it.

"I'm so poor I can't afford to pay attention."
Old 05-14-2004, 10:56 PM   #9
Capt. Urn

i do not know much about exhausts, sorry. the stealth is a good exhaust, from the little i have read, but i would not get it because i would want the louder sound of a borla or magna-flow, but that is personal preferance.

as for the intake. Cold air intake does the most good for the engine, if i understand everything correctly, but it is also possible to get water into your engine using them. this can be avoided by adding a valve to it, but that is the extent of my knowledge on that subject. more can be found on the site though. i will see if i can find the thread i am thinking of before i have to leave work. if all else fails, i can get it for you tomorrow if you havent found it yourself.

as for the paint. yeah, i am not a big fan of read cars either. and black always does look hot on a focus. just a couple things to keep in mind though... black is generally difficult to keep clean, and makes the car hotter in the summer. if you dont have the $ for a full paint job, you might want to look into some graphics. i am usually not a fan of graphics, but if done tactfully, black on sangria red could look very nice, and be quite a bit cheaper then a full paint job. just some food for thought.

Last edited by crazy_urn; 05-15-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:03 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, I am very much going to keep the Focus. I think that it will be a nice little project/hobby.

You say that I can swap and auto for a stick? How? And what is the cost of doing so?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.