Title v.s. Registration - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7861
What I Drive: 2005 Impreza RS

FF Reputation: 1 imprtslyr0223 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Title v.s. Registration

Can somebody clarify the difference between a title and a registration. For example, if a CARFAX report says "Title issued or updated" in an owners history, what exactly does that mean? Or if it says "Registration issued or renewed", what does that mean?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49113
What I Drive: 03 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 23 Xetchx Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A title is proof of ownership of a vehicle, so a Title change should mean change of ownership

Registration is what you gotta do so that you can use your vehicle on a public road, Registration have to be updated annualy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
I'm not hard, I'm fluffy...lol
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Ok, well I'm looking at a newer car, where there was 3 owners. ZOwner 1 owned the car from 2/18/04-4/13/05, owner two owned the car from 2/1/06-2/14/06 (13 days), and owner 3 owned the car from 3/15/06-8/16/07. What do you think the deal is with this 2nd owner? I think it's a little strange the owner had the car for 13 days, especially since the lemon law is in effect for 13 days.

During this time, owner two information is as follows:
02/01/2006 Registration issued or renewed
New owner reported
Vehicle color noted as Red
02/15/2006 Vehicle purchase reported

Owner one information before this time states the vehicle is for sale at a dealer inventory, and following owner two this vehicle has the registration issued or renowed, a new owner is reported, and the vehicle color is noted as red. What exactly is this owner two? I don't really understand why owner two would have this car for 13 days and get rid of it if that's what it means. Can somebody please explain this to me?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Focus Addict

maybe it went up for auction...idk tuff to say

Quote:
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
Maybe it was used as a trade-in and it sat at a dealership for the 13 days before someone bought it. The dealer does own the car before they sell it, so I don't see why they wouldn't have the title transfered to them too.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #6
Focus Addict

The car did go up for auction before I found it at it's present dealer inventory, but why would this car go up for auction? Mind you, I'm talking about a 2003 SVT EAP with 56k miles on it in mint condition. The last safety inspection was at this Waterville Ford dealership. I do know that some Ford dealerships cannot sell SVT Ford's because they are not authorized SVT dealers, so could this be the reason?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
Focus Addict

looks like the first guy didn't pay it off completly, he only had it for 14 months, so the bank probably claimed it held it for 6 months it looks like then put it up for auction and a dealership bought it.

totolly hypothetical tho lol

and idk about a non SVT vendor not being able to sell used SVT's, I bought mine from carmax

Quote:
Old 11-24-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
Focus Addict

See, I was thinking the first owner had a lease, since the car was owner for only 13 months. But that does not really explain the 13 days of ownership of the 2nd owner. I just do not want to get involved with a lemon here, so if anybody is thinking the lemon law is in effect with this 2nd owner, please speak up. The only thing is, the 2nd owner put absolutely zero miles on the car.

I do know for a fact, at least in MA that you can only buy an SVT from an authorized SVT dealer and not at typical SVT dealer. I don't know if that plays a role here though.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 25399
What I Drive: Black 07 ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 back in black Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprtslyr0223 View Post
See, I was thinking the first owner had a lease, since the car was owner for only 13 months. But that does not really explain the 13 days of ownership of the 2nd owner. I just do not want to get involved with a lemon here, so if anybody is thinking the lemon law is in effect with this 2nd owner, please speak up. The only thing is, the 2nd owner put absolutely zero miles on the car.

I do know for a fact, at least in MA that you can only buy an SVT from an authorized SVT dealer and not at typical SVT dealer. I don't know if that plays a role here though.
doesn't make any sense that it was returned on the lemon law thing for a couple reasons:

1. They didn't put ANY miles on it. You can't find out that a car has a problem if you don't drive it...

2. The next owner drove it for a good long time after they bought it, so wouldn't have they got rid of it well before they did if it was a piece of crap?

I'm almost certain that it sat somewhere waiting to be sold. Maybe it was traded in at a dealership, or sold for consignment, repo-ed and the bank auctioned it off, who knows.

I would also bet that any dealership can sell a used SVT. They can sell used Dodges and Chevys, and they definitely aren't authorized Dodge/Chev dealerships.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:52 AM   #10
Focus Addict

Yeah the lemon law thing didn't make sense to me either, but I did want to get a second, third, or fourth opinion. As for any dealership selling an SVT, that is truly not the case in MA. I've talked to my local dealership and a few others in the state and they really cannot sell an SVT on their lot. They always auction them off instead for some reason.

However, I do know where this car has been serviced most of it's life, so is it worth calling the Ford dealership and asking them about this car? I'm thinking it won't hurt to ask, and hopefully they will have some record about it even though it was a decent time ago that they serviced the vehicle.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.