Anyone ever just have a terrible car shopping experience? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 898
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 poisonivory Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Anyone ever just have a terrible car shopping experience?

So i've been in the market for a new ride. I came across a 2007 ST listed on a local dealers website. I called and asked to speak with a sales person. I specifically asked if this red ST had the SAP bumper and rally spoiler. He asked me for the vin and stock# on the website so he could pull it up. He tells me yes, it has the front bumper and spoiler. So i get there, it has neither. Stock front bumper and only the small deck lid spoiler. Then he starts blowing up all this smoke up my ass about the car, obviously had no idea what he was talking about. I'm like "listen, I've driven a focus for almost 5 years, i belong to a focus forum, I know half of what you just said is bullshit". He goes on to tell me their comment about the SAP on the car was a mistake and and that they'd offer me lifetime oil changes to accomodate for my time. I just got so irritated with this idiot, that after the brief test drive i didnt even wait for them to appraise my car. I took my keys and left.

This place was a half hour from my house and i called to specifically ask if the car had the SAP and they lied just to get me in there the following day for a test drive. while yes, the car was fun to drive, i wouldn't have bought it regardless. Compared to when i bought my first focus at a different dealer, this most recent experience sucked completely. Anyone else ever have one of those days?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'll bite.

In 1991, I was looking for a car to replace my 1986 Mustang convertible. It had a six which meant it had the power of a four, the appetite and insurance of an eight.

So I popped down to the Pontiac Stealership and took a look a the Grand Am GT (or whatever the zippy model was called.) I had done my homework and knew how much the car should cost. I meet the salesman and he's pretty jovial, real happy, cheery, and we go for a ride. Right off, my wife and I notice an odor, a volatile odor; the salemsan is drunk, boozy, looped etc.

Well we get back to the Stealership and the salesman starts putting the pressure on us to buy the car, he comes back with eight different ways for us to give them $4000 profit on the car that I continually refuse to pay. Finally he gets up and (with the booze seriously wearing off) yells in my face "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE MONEY!!!" At this point, I'm pretty pissed and stand up and say "I'D RATHER SHOVE IT UP YOUR A$$ THAN HAND IT OVER; SCR3W YOU!!"

I start walking out and he says "Your car isn't finished being evaluate, you CAN'T leave" I turn around and tell him, "If it's not, I'm going to send someone to pick it up."

At this point, the guy who usually forces you to buy the car comes running back, hearing the shouts and trys to calm things down. We go back and forth for a while, I get this big apology from the boss and I go out to my car. Just then the drunk jerk salesman pops out of the back and says "What'll it take to get you into a Sunbird today?" I just drive off.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

haha thats crazy. When i got my 2003 focus, the saleman i had was a straight up dude. No BS and he was genuinely honest with me, which is why I had no problem buying the car. This guy the other day was TRYING to look like he knew what he was saying, when clearly he didnt. The car had 200 miles on it, he said it had 39. I'm like "thats the trip meter, the bigger number underneath is the actual mileage". he's like "oh".

haha i woulda loved for dude to tell me i couldnt leave until my car was evaluated.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
Machinery Technician

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

Points 45,167, Level 100
Points: 45,167, Level: 100 Points: 45,167, Level: 100 Points: 45,167, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
well, i don't have any dealer horror stories, but more than a few times I've been looking at cars, the salesmen have no clue about the car. They just want to sell, but can't speak knowledgably about their product.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44270
What I Drive: 2008 altima coupe

FF Reputation: 1 aja123fo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivory View Post

This place was a half hour from my house and i called to specifically ask if the car had the SAP and they lied just to get me in there the following day for a test drive.
Yup, the sales people are trained to do just that. You can pretty much call in and ask if they have any sort of car, and they'll lie and say yes just to get ya in there. It's a very manipulative business. A friend of mine just got a job at a Toyota dealership and he's having a lot of problems b/c he just feels terrible manipulating people. In his class, they said "if someone comes in asking for a silver on black 4runner and we don't have it, just say we do, and when it comes time to make a deal, say something like 'but woulnd't you be interested in this white on tan model?'"
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
It is a manipulative business but I can tell you that not every dealer is like that--yes, we want to get people in to drive cars, but if we really don't have what they're looking at and they tell me they live an hour away, I am NOT going to lie and tell them to come in anyway. That's just stupid because then they will NEVER come back or call, and they will probably tell all their friends about what happened.

I'm going to personally apologize for the bad experiences you've had--if any one of you ever comes in and deals with me, things won't be like that at all.

I will tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE to know every thing about every car, because we literally sell everything. Haha I mean we even had a four-wheeler we just recently sold. The difference between this place and another place is that WE DON'T LIE!!! If we don't know something we say I DON'T KNOW! Not loudly lol.

Also you have to understand that there is always pressure on us to sell cars--some guys take it differently than others, e.g. it makes them lie to sell cars. I do not take it this way.

Anyway enough trying to stand up for car salesmen--some of them SUCK!!!

I had a TERRIBLE experience at a Mazda store. In fact, I feel that Mazda and I will never get along, but that's a long story. At the Mazda store a while ago, the guy WOULD NOT LET US LEAVE! We test-drove this crappy Protege that was obviously burning oil, had a little knock, just wasn't in good shape. We got back inside and ALL the salesman was asking us was "did you like the car? was it a good car for you? why didn't you like the car? did you like the car?" And that's not even an exaggeration. Didn't ever begin to talk price, payments, etc. JUST that. I texted my girlfriend under the table to tell the guy that we had another appointment, and they found out it was with another dealership and said "well they don't care if you're late." I was like you, I care if we're late, plus I was just lying and I just want to leave. The guy then proceeded to have us test-drive a BRAND NEW Mazda 3, which my girlfriend could OBVIOUSLY not afford. It was just stupid. We ended up leaving while the guy was trying to talk to us, asking the same damn questions over and over. I will NEVER go back to that store.

Now that I'm in the business, turns out those guys have a reputation of being a-holes like that.

Anyway, some car salesmen suck, and others are really cool. Unfortunately the bad ones tarnish all our reputations.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
lol the guys at van dyn hoven really love me. they let me test drivea lot of stuff. never been really hassled at all. the only thing they wouldn't let me drive was an evo for obvouis reasons. but they did let me drive a brand new rx-8, a 350 z a neww eclipse, gti, and a whole bunch of other stuff. i think i'm kind of their marketing guinie pig, lol. i forgot a pt gt turbo 5 speed, cooler than an srt-4, probably one of the biggest sleepers on the planet
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 23521
What I Drive: 2010 genesis coupe track

FF Reputation: 7 project2point Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Never really had a bad exp. Just get the are you going to be careful with the car thing. I have never had a salesman ride w/ me.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25532
What I Drive: 2005 Cloud 9 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Caffn8d Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I tested a Probe GT after they started showing up on the used lots. Had a very prominent clicking when turning right which got noticeably worse on the faster sweeping corners. I asked what the noise was, knowing that it was cv joint and the guy actually said "I don't hear anything - the car's been through a thorough mechanical inspection." Yeah right. They all make a bad clicking sound that jerks the steering wheel when turning right. Get a hearing aid.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

well this guy was obviously aware i was pissed. When we walked back to the car on the lot, i stopped dead in my tracks and was like "oh". he says "oh...whats wrong?". I said "you told me this had the SAP package", to which he replies "oh really?". I said, "yea, i honestly dont like the stock front and the SAP was the only reason I;'m even here"...thats when he offered the free lifetime oil changes..and we went for a brief drive. after which during the finance talk he got on my nerves even more. i told him to give me my spare keys and i was leaving (cuz my car was about to go in for appraisal)...he wouldnt give me my keys so I followed him to the service desk and another guy was there. i said, "can i have my spare key please"..and he knew i was ticked, he handed it over without saying a word.

I understand completely that its a manipulative business. My profession is kind of the same way. But i made it clear to this guy i lived out of town and i specifically asked about the SAP and he even told me he looked it up while we were on the phone (which really ticked me off after i realized he lied..cuz he either didnt look it up, or he did look it up and told me it had the SAP anyway)!! so he just all out juiced me over the phone. even if i loved the car i wouldnt have bought it. becuase thats exactly what he was hoping i'd do.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.