New car help, please voice your opinion - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Which route to take for a new ride?
Trade in the SE to dealer for used SVT 4 40.00%
Sell SE on the street to buy Mazda3S from private seller 1 10.00%
Sell SE on the street, then buy SVT from dealer??? 4 40.00%
Other suggestion? (has to be a 4 door manual under 13k) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 898
What I Drive: 2003 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 poisonivory Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
New car help, please voice your opinion

Hey Everybody,

As some may have seen in recent threads, I have found 2 5-door SVTF'S for very decent price in my region. However, I have also found a Mazda 3S (Sedan) for a steal of a price also! Mazda 3S with clean title, 11k miles for 12,800! Far below retail/blue book, as are both SVT's. Only problem about the Mazda is that its a private seller, so I would have to sell my car first. The SVT's are both at dealerships, so I could just trade in.

My question to the FF community, is what situation do you think would have the best outcome? Trading in my SE sedsn at a dealer for one of the SVT's...OR selling my SE on the street and and then purchasing the Mazda3s?

Keep in mind I have a family, hence the reason I dont want a 2 door hatch. But also, I do not race or Auto-x. My car would see minimal performance mods (probably just exhaust, intake and some other small stuff). So don't base your judgement on whichever car has better potential to build to 300 HP, because it wont happen. lol

My current focus was my first new car purchase, and I've never traded anything in before. I guess what I'm asking is, which scenario would work out better in the end for me? I know both cars are fun as hell to drive stock. lol

All opinions are greatly appreciated. Also, if there is a 4door, manual car that I am overlooking in comparible performance/price range, please feel free to throw it in.

Thanks!
Mario

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Possibly find a used Impreza wagon for that price, not sure what your feelings on those are though.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

I like imprezas...but to find one for that price with this low mileage, i doubt. One SVT has 29k and one has like 40. Still not bad for under $11,000

and the Mazda only has 11k miles on it, hell, its all but brand new. lol

I love imprezas actually, but didnt even think that they would fit into this price range unless they had massive miles on it. I'll look into it thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
89 Alexander Mogilny

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

Points 20,031, Level 89
Points: 20,031, Level: 89 Points: 20,031, Level: 89 Points: 20,031, Level: 89
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would rather have a SVT over a 3S, but both have different strengths
ST Crew #11
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Focus Takeover #013 / Tarbo Fan # 001
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

I must admit, I like the styling of the SVT better. But for just a smidge more money and nearly 20k less miles, the 3s seriously caught my eye.

I'm waiting for the VIN checks to come back on the 2 SVTF's. They are def too good to pass up if the titles are clean. Only thing is that one is 100 miles away (the one i really want)..so i'll have to wait until Saturday to drive up there to see it. I hope it doesnt sell before that. Because it is priced very well and could go quickly.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43548
What I Drive: '04 EAP Sonic Blue SVT, '04 Ranger

Points 2,456, Level 30
Points: 2,456, Level: 30 Points: 2,456, Level: 30 Points: 2,456, Level: 30
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 HilloNative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman355 View Post
I would rather have a SVT over a 3S, but both have different strengths
my too, i ask the same question time ago when i was buying my 2nd SVT... and i remember someone telling my that if the mazda 3 wasnt the mazdaspeed3 ....wasnt better than the svt... but its up to you ... i just think that the svt its more fun to drive than a regular mazda 3....
Old 10-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Yea, i love the ms3, but I am in no position to spend mid $20k on a car. Which is why I am looking for used SVT, Mazda 3, or anything similar with low miles. I was surprised to find SVT ZX5's in my area. Hopefully if all goes well, I'll be the proud owner soon. It also depends on how much they will give me for my car. I am certainly not going upside down on it, but I dont think that should be a problem.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
If I were you, I would steer clear of dealers.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 10-15-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

^^why's that? neither are a Ford Dealership. One SVT is at Toyota dealer...and one SVT is at a family own car lot. Both are very well priced as compared to KBB for the conditions and I'm having the VIN's checked to make sure they are clean.

Why else would I steer away from a dealer? I'm not being a smartass, just curious. Only used cars I ever bought, were really used..like $2000 cars..lol
Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Well being at a toyota dealer, I wouldnt touch it unless you get some ind of dealer waranty, since they arent really familiar with Fords.

Family dealer, ok maaaybe but the thing about that is you never really know what youre getting. Could be a gem, could be ready to fall apart theres no way to tell. And they usually have pretty crummy warranties just there to cover their ass.

But overall, a dealer is going to make a run for your wallet more than a private seller, the private seller is just trying to get rid of the car whereas the dealer is trying to make money, so theres a good chance youll save a bundle by going private. ESPECIALLY on a trade-in (usually). Dealers make the most money on used cars, buy low sell high and the difference minus repairs just to keep the car looking good is profit. Simple economics.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.