The car that wouldn't die !!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 242,593, Level 100
Points: 242,593, Level: 100 Points: 242,593, Level: 100 Points: 242,593, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The car that wouldn't die !!!

I am enjoying the worst car ever thread. Sooooo.

This can be a car you loved, or hated. I want to hear about the car you owned that just ran FOREVER. It wouldn't die and just kept going, even when it should have fallen to bits.

For me, without a doubt. The 1986 Nissan sentra

It had sat in a driveway for 3 years covered in leaves when I bought it for $300. I drove it home 45 minutes and a new battery later. We owned the motorcycle shop in the city at the time, and it was a daily driver. It hauled the dog, the wife, and kids, got driven in the snow, did huge donuts ( 100's of them, not kidding) in reverse in our parking lot everytime it snowed.
It did eat a few parts. An alt., plug wires, brakes. Normal stuff. Finally at 287k it was sooo rusted I wouldn't let anyone else drive it( I was afraid the rear suspension was going to break loose). I was going to run the tags out and junk it. The last day it came home, it made the 27 mile commute the whole way in 2nd GEAR !!! Bouncing off the rev-limiter the whole way up the hi-way ( 11 miles). Yes, I was trying to kill it for fun.
Well, it used a quart of oil, but didn't die. It became a beater "field car" for over a year. Then, its final destiny was to be the Demolition Derby 4 cyl. races. It went to that, did pretty well. I was in 2nd place ( I think ) on lap 37 of a 50 lap race when a volvo 240 tore off the right front wheel. I was done.
BUT NOT THE END OF HER.

As is custom for many derby cars. We drug her to the pits with a bobcat , her final destination a crusher. I couldn't let her go like that, so a crowbar on the gas pedal wide open in neutral would seal her fate!...Yup, she ran outta gas. I still have the shifter knob off of that car in the garage. She was a good little car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41223
What I Drive: 01 Twiligh Blue SE 4DR Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 foci01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1984 Chevette.

Bought it for 25 bucks as a field car. Had no brakes( used to throw auto tranny in park to stop)

Tore open the gas tank (tied a 2 gal under the hood inplace of the washer resevoir.

Put a tree branch through the rad and took out the rad fan.

took off all the doors and hatch and one time ended up flipping it onto its roof after hitting a berm.

Car would just not die

SEDAN REVOLUTION#23
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48300
What I Drive: 2002 Dark Shadow Gray Sedan

FF Reputation: 6 '02 BLK PRL Good Standing Member
Mine was a 1991 Chevy Camaro.

This thing was a tank and i hated it soo much.

First, the car was bought for me because some crazy 16 year old
B ch rearended my beautiful '87 Monte Carlo SS. just a quick replacment. Anyway it was like 5 diff.colors, had crazy ugly wheels, and only a V6.

Second, it had 300,000 miles on it and leaked every fluid known.

Third, this crap ran and ran and ran FOREVER! i drove it like hell and the only thing that broke on it was the belt tensioner! I knew that as long as I had this car I couldn't get e new one so I did everything possible to blow it up.

But no, this car went on trips to lake of the ozarks, kentucky, indiana with no problems.

Finally I just tired of the damn thing and sold it with 489,000 miles on it and it is still rolling around town by another kid (but now its orange). unbelievable!
SEDAN REVOLUTION #58
FocusNation
ATX Faction #42
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 242,593, Level 100
Points: 242,593, Level: 100 Points: 242,593, Level: 100 Points: 242,593, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
489,000 ^^^ WOW, thats good. or bad, depending on how you look at it.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
FoFo Lover.

Fan#: 30202
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3i

Points 7,939, Level 59
Points: 7,939, Level: 59 Points: 7,939, Level: 59 Points: 7,939, Level: 59
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 9 ktwelsch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (27)
Dag on.....

I had a 1993 Saturn SL2....had 200,000miles on it till I gave it to my sister and she sold it.....Nothing ever went bad on that sucker..... it was amazing
SEDAN REVOLUTION #42 Baby!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #6
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 29660
What I Drive: 2000 dirty white zx3

FF Reputation: 1 nissanfordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
1985 Astro van

My entire family had pretty much driven it. Don't remember the miles on it but upwards of 200k. Right before selling it for $500, my brother sanded it down to paint it (never did), gutted the interior of all seats but the two captain's chairs, lost the keys in the river and had to jack with the ignition to get it started with a screwdriver kept on the dash, and then someone tried to steal it but couldn't figure out how to start it. Breaks were bad, no radio, cracks all throughout the windshield, leaked fluids everywhere. It was deemed "The Tank" because it wouldn't die.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44202
What I Drive: 2000 InfaRed Zx3

FF Reputation: 27 1stTimeFocus00 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
1989 Ranger.

Has closely to 200,000 miles. Still stock auto tranny. 2.9L efi. Has been beat to hell and back. Eventually tranny will fall out, but still runs like a champ. The interior is the nicest thanks to the 225 custom fitted seat covers i put in there. Id still be driving it if i didnt find a good deal on my focus
Zetec Crew #152
United States Army
Old 10-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
94 subie@@!!!
Still have it... Over 200k and never had problems with it.... I love that car
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
on thin air

Fan#: 22528
What I Drive: SVT

Points 15,192, Level 79
Points: 15,192, Level: 79 Points: 15,192, Level: 79 Points: 15,192, Level: 79
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 80 ..:: sleestak ::.. Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Viney, I had an 88 Nissan Sentra.

Long story short, a lady blew a stop sign and I t-boned her doing a good 45mph. She was driving the largest cadillac they made...a sheer tank.

My car got totalled, obviously - Front bumper fell off, battery exploded, radiator exploded, and the front grill was even with the front of the front tires. Car started right up after accident and was moved to the side of the street. I went to the junk yard the next day to strip it down and it still started and drove a lap around the yard!!! Total BEAST

"Our mother of blessed accelleration, dont fail us now!" -- Elwood Blues
Old 10-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38939
What I Drive: 2001 Silver ZX3 5spd

FF Reputation: 4 EvilGenius Good Standing Member
For me it'd have to be my first car, a tan '81 Toyota Pickup 5spd.

My father bought it with probably about 20k miles on it in probably 85. He drove it to work and everywere else everyday until he bought his jeep cherokee in '96. From then on it sat on the side of our house until I got my driver's license in 2004 and then I sold it in 2005 so I could have my brother's 300ZX. I enjoyed the hell out of it while I had it though.

We occassionally used it if we need to haul something or a car was broken down. A few times my mother loaded it up with either sand or rocks to the point that the rear tires were going to explode and the bumper was about to drag on the ground, but it never seemed to care.

Once my brother's car was out of action so he borrowed that. He was driving down the freeway one night and whatever holds the engine fan on came loose and the fan shot off of the water pump and tore a gaping hole in the back of the radiator. He drove another 5+ miles on the freeway without any coolant before it overheated and shut down. We patched the radiator, put a new fan on and it ran like nothing ever happened. No cracked cylinder heads, nothing.

Another time back when my father was still driving it. I remember going somewhere with him and the throttle cable snapped. So of course it tried to kill us. He pulled off into a neighborhood, borrowed a screw driver from some lady whose house we stopped in front of and tweaked the carb to the point where it would idle at like 2500rpms and just drove it home without using the throttle.

I guess the "never dies" part about it was that no matter what happened to it or how long it sat. It always started up no matter what and ran like you just drove it of the lot. It never had any engine problems other than replacing the water pump once and the lectric choke would occasionally stick during the summer and cause it to stall, but it never had any real problems like bad head gasket, compression loss or having to pull a tranny or anything at all.

I wish I had kept that truck, I'd probably still be driving it.
"Living in the present sucks! We no longer live in the golden days of old, where people had morals and knew the value of a hard day's work... Nor do we live in the future, where there are no morals and everyone has tons of really cool gadgets."

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.