Ever have someone ask you "what kind of car is that?" - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ever have someone ask you "what kind of car is that?"

I'll start off by giving the basics - I have a pitch black 07 focus zx3, before that I had a pitch black 02 focus zx3. (for some reason black was the only color available when I was buying - not that I mind). Both cars are/were completely stock during my ownership of them (save for dark tint on the 02 - it was mandatory for survival in Florida) I also often drive with my windows open, and sunroof when applicable (no sunroof on the 02, but the 07 has one) - running the a/c in the focus is more often than not a losing proposition in Pittsburgh - so I just don't bother with it, unless my wife is in the car or it's over 90 out.

I bought the 02 when I lived in Florida and moved to Pittsburgh with it. In Florida, I would get compliments on how cute it was, or how practical and thrifty a man I was, but never "What kind of car is that?". Here in Pittsburgh - I get asked "What kind of car is that? It's pretty sleek - did they just come out?" by lots of people - old people, young people, people working the drive thru, people at the gas station, people in the parking lot. It's almost as if Ford completely failed to get word out that they actually made a focus 2 door hatch in these parts. I've even had someone in a focus sedan ask me what kind of car I was driving - which completely puzzled me.

The focus is, by no means, an odd car here - though in terms of how common they are it's sedan > zx5 > zx3 > wagon. I see another zx3 maybe once or twice a day (typically 00-04's, usually yellow or dark blue/black).

Though, where I live - people tend to be GM loyalists - buying GM products blindly assuming that they're going to be great - so I've been chalking it up to that. But lately, I'm just all sorts of confuzzled - the focus hatch is by no means a new model or an exotic car - it's been around since 1999 - with very little in the way of exterior changes since then (ok, the nose was changed in 05).

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Or does my incredible lameness somehow make my car look cool and hip - despite being completely bone stock. The last car I owned that elicited this many comments was the 1988 BMW 535i I had - and at that - those were comments from other guys in similar bimmers or vintage european rides saying "Nice ride man, very clean" (it was bone stock, but was in immaculate condition on the outside). Those people talked to me because they knew what I was driving and approved.

MacBook Pro 15"
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4167
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3 SE MTX

FF Reputation: 3 iantm Good Standing Member
Here are some pictures of the foci I've had

Here's the 02

Here's the 07
MacBook Pro 15"
Old 08-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dude I'm with you...
I drive a 03 SVT ZX3, Maybe its because I live in Vermont and people either drive a Subaru (Mostly Outback Wagons of the mid-late 90's) or a truck.. people always ask me "what kind of car is that? who makes it?" and the people who actually know what a Focus is shun me for driving one, because they don't know who SVT is... Oddest Story I've encountered was one day I was on my way to points south and at the very beginning of my journey i saw a 1966 mustang coupe on the side of the road (i have a soft spot for these since i own one), hood popped perplexed 40 something year old man playing with a carb, so i pulled over and offered him a ride to the gas station and back; on the way back he asked me what kind of car it was I told him it was a Focus, and he asked who makes it, i told him Ford, he said "oh really" but when i mentioned SVT his eyes bugged out, he started speeling about SVT this and SVT that; he knew about the lightning, the Cobra, even the contour, but not the little Focus.... I've seen one other SVT in Vermont, and i see probably 1-2 focus' on my 50mi commute each day (the same 1-2 focus' including the one with dual rain collector mufflers) so you are not alone in the "what kind of car is that?" genre...

a case of mistaken identity that wasnt so cool was when a "street racer style civic" (its even written in the police report that way) was driving around picking off cyclists and leaving the scene, it turned out to be a silver 2001 civic si, i was questioned because they (police) thought it was me....my defense was "I drive a FORD FOCUS, not a HONDA CIVIC" some people...
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here are some pics of the two cars (Civic Si and SVT focus) I mean I know they are similar, but so are most cars that are in the same class, the biggest give away that my car isnt a honda civic would have to be THE BIG FRIGGIN BLUE OVAL ON THE GRILL
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 40300
What I Drive: nothing interesting

FF Reputation: 1 ineedtafocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
^^no pics...

i have had two encounters with ppl who didnt know what car it was, it was about half a year ago a few weeks apart, i got pulled over by two different cops. they both didnt know what kindof car it was and when i told them they were shocked and didnt know it came in a hatchback. i thought they were friggen retarded, cuz well they should see them everyday....
Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

Points 1,730, Level 24
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
I don't know what it is but EVERYONE seems to think my car is a hybrid. I guess Orange is the new official color of Hybridness and I drive a Hybrid.

They don't notice the 17" low profile tires, the lowered suspension, the body work, the HIDs, nothing, they just think it's a hybrid.

That is except for the "real" SVT owners who rev at me and flip me off, they just think it's slow like a hybrid.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20772
What I Drive: 2002 SC Sonic Blue SVT

Points 3,383, Level 36
Points: 3,383, Level: 36 Points: 3,383, Level: 36 Points: 3,383, Level: 36
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 fast_ryda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I took off the Focus part in the back so its just SVT. Ppl are clueless of what it is. I was asked what i drive and i said SVT focus and then I got these blunt questions right back at me.....is SVT new or something? Doesnt ford have a focus...who makes SVT?

Oh and best of all...I was returning a battery last nite and i'm standing there minding my own business. And this older guy comes up to me and starts to guess what car i'm driving by looking at the battery that i'm about to return. (CarQuest...it said European Vehicle) So he was like you drive an Audi....umm nope...VW.... ummm nope and so on. Then he gives up and goes i'll be right back...is your car in the parking lot? Comes back and goes " I knew your car was some WEIRD European...I never heard of SVT." I just started laughing and told him it was a ford. Poor guy got all red
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30971
What I Drive: 2003 Ford SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 9 number1187svt Good Standing Member
^^ haha, thats funny! I always have ladies at gas stations say, " What kind of car is that?" I always reply, " It started off as a Ford Focus." And the response 2 out of 2 times was, " Oh... (puzzled face), its cute!"

Man, I sure do hate driving a "cute" car. lol

Previous:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged Stage 2
2003 Ford SVT Focus #1187 SVT Squad #314 November 2007 ROTM
Old 08-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34864
What I Drive: 2010 Tacoma X-Runner

FF Reputation: 3 IcEMage Good Standing Member
I have gotten the same...with my 4 door ZTS and now with my SVT....I had to explain to almost every person at work (all but the lady with the SS Impala she knew was SVT was lol) what SVT was....Even when I told some people "they produced the Cobra" they were still clue less.

I think it comes down to Advertising...most common people do not follow the auto industry like we do....they see a car that 'looks' cute and has nice features on tv and buy it..not a lot of people pay attention to all the se, svt, zts, zx3 stuff more often then not the price is the most important thing to them.

Come to think of it I only remember seeing one or two commercials ever for the focus, and when I did see them they were always for the 4 door...so I am sure that has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50994
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Wes_03_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I went to grab some new tires for my Focus one day (which is de-badged on the back) and one of the guys working there was trying to figure out what kind of car it was. Whats funny is that I had a band sticker on the back, the guy says "...A Ford.....Atreyu?...never heard of it. I laughed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.