Hello - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49173
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Guapo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hello

I bought a new for me 2002 ZX-3 last week. Found it in California for $5500 & 47k miles. It's got the power windows & door locks, which is nice. I like the seats b/c they feel nice and snug. My initial thoughts are that it's quite roomy and feels/drives like a much bigger car than it actually is. I like the head room. I am really enjoying the car so far. The suspension needs to be stiffened/lowered and the shift throws are a bit long, but it definitely has a good feel to it.

I've been averaging about 28 mpg. Is that normal? I was expecting more miles. I do like using 87 octane. I tend to get a bit crazy with mods and I think my favorite thing about the Focus is how incredibly reasonable the after market is.

I did a lot of reading in here before I posted and I hope to get some thoughts on the direction I'd like to go with my suspension. Was thinking about a front stress bar and a Progress (22mm) rear sway bar. Then maybe use the whole SVT kit or something similar. Any suggestions? I keep hearing Eibach makes a good package, but I'm not sure what it includes.

As far as the engine, the truth is the Zetec is gutless and I don't really expect much. Can anyone tell me what kind of gains would be had with a larger throttle body (65mm), a K&N filter & a tune? Does the engine run out of breath with the larger throttle body? Is there anything to do to fix this? I figure I'd like to keep the sound quiet for a while, so I'm not interested in a 3 hp gain from a loud exhaust. The trade off doesn't seem worth it. I may go with a SVT header though...

Well, I appreciate your comments. I like the layout of this forum. It's very similar to the last forum I was on for my last car.

~D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47599
What I Drive: 2004 Focus SVT InfraRed

FF Reputation: 5 cronus1987 Good Standing Member
Hi, welcome to focusfanatics, I hope your stay with us is enjoyable and we have breakfast in the morning from 6-10am..
oh wait, this isn't work...
lol, j/k.

Okay, 28mpg sounds about right. You may get a little better with a different driving style or making a really long non-stop trip, but 28mpg average is pretty good.
65mm throttle body won't really net you any hp gains, but i've heard it smooths out idle a little bit and make the throttle a little more responsive. Not worth $250 IMO.
From what i've seen most people with zx4's go with svt suspension and most with zx3/zx5's go with the eibach kit...don't really know why. I drive an svt and personally think the stock suspension set-up is very nice. It's stiff with just enough body roll in the corners to let you know how far you can push it.
The standerd 2.0L zetec is not fast in stock form. It can be pretty quick with the right add ons. An SVT airbox and snorkle with a K&N filter is a nice set up as is a complete cold air intake. As far as a tune goes, none are better than one from tom (our resident Focus engine genious). He's 1turbofocus on here and you can get a tune from him for $375 and it's well worth it. As far as exhaust goes, Most go with Borla and Magnaflow exhausts. Header..take your pick. An svt header is fine, some may be better, but i can't really tell you which ones 'cause i don't really know.

For aftermarket parts, try these places.
www.c-f-m.com
www.newedgeperformance.com
exhaust: www.trubendz.com

Official Mayo Hater #3
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Hey man,

Welcome to the club. Zetecs are actually very nice engines--easily modifyable and, unlike Duratecs, HAVE SUPERCHARGERS MADE FOR THEM!!!

Also SVT Headers are the best you can get for the Focus, hands down. If I were you I wouldn't look at other, cheaper ones. The quality is great and the performance, while sometimes only marginally better, IS still better than any other header.

Get a short shifter and you'll be good in the shifting dept...I agree with you, the throw IS long, compared to the Civic I had before this.

Oh yeah, and DEFINITELY go with the Eibach Pro-kit or Pro-system Plus. I have the Pro-system Plus (profile to see what it is) and it's been an amazingly fun and worthwhile upgrade. Car corners like a dream, and going over bumps still doesn't rattle my brain...plus it gets rid of that monstrous wheel well gap perfectly.

Get some new wheels and tires too and you'll be set to go!

Before:

After:

After After:

Good luck man, and those are all good sites for aftermarket parts.

Peace.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49173
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Guapo Good Standing Member
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll have to look into the suspension a bit more. What kind of gains will Tom be able to extract from a stock set up? Is the $375 for a mail in flash or does it include some kind of piggy back system? I'd really like to get dyno tuned, but I don't want to drop that kind of money on a stock set up.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.