Need help with some noises and remedies - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Focus Addict
 
ChrisRobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46204
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

Posts: 1,012
Points 6,936, Level 54
Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Need help with some noises and remedies

Wondering if others have heard this or can help me pinpoint where it's coming from (2001 ZX3):

Squeeking sound when I let go of the brake pedal: It only happens when the parking brake if off. I thought it was the brake pedal and linkage down below the dash but that part runs on bushings I think and there's not a lot of moving parts. Either way I sprayed a bit of lubricant but that didn't help. I think it's coming from the back of the car? When I park at work underground, I can hear the squeeking sound fairly loud with the echo of the parking garage which has me thinking it's outside of the car, underneathe somewhere.

Knocking sound from the back: Happens when I drive over rough spots on the road. At first I thought it was the struts which had me thinking I'd get to lower the car a little early!! :) But it turns out to the be coming from the hatch, I'm pretty sure anyway. With the car stopped, I can hold onto just above the license plate (where the little lights are) and press down and lift up and hear a bit of knocking which has me thinking that there's some looseness between the hatch 'clamp' and 'pin'. I was wondering if there was a way to maybe stop this. I was thinking of maybe beefing up the rubber bumpers on the hatch so when I would close it, there could be no movement or somehow thicken up the latch pin.

Thanks a lot for reading this and giving feedback in advance. I'm one of those people that hates little noises (not that I hear anything anyway since I play music so loud but still, drives me crazy!!).


ChrisRobin is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Fan#: 44202
Location: Altoona, PA
What I Drive: 2000 InfaRed Zx3

Posts: 4,107
FF Reputation: 27 1stTimeFocus00 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Squeeking sound when I let go of the brake pedal... Your problem is your rotors. I had the same problem. I took apart my rotors and cleaned them up rreall nice and also replaced my brake shoes. Fixed the problem right on up
__________________
Zetec Crew #152
United States Army
1stTimeFocus00 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Focus Addict
 
Django's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45216
Location: Topeka
What I Drive: 2007 Zx3 SES, SAP, Black

Posts: 1,027
FF Reputation: 17 Django Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRobin View Post
Wondering if others have heard this or can help me pinpoint where it's coming from (2001 ZX3):

Squeeking sound when I let go of the brake pedal: It only happens when the parking brake if off. I thought it was the brake pedal and linkage down below the dash but that part runs on bushings I think and there's not a lot of moving parts. Either way I sprayed a bit of lubricant but that didn't help. I think it's coming from the back of the car? When I park at work underground, I can hear the squeeking sound fairly loud with the echo of the parking garage which has me thinking it's outside of the car, underneathe somewhere.

Knocking sound from the back: Happens when I drive over rough spots on the road. At first I thought it was the struts which had me thinking I'd get to lower the car a little early!! :) But it turns out to the be coming from the hatch, I'm pretty sure anyway. With the car stopped, I can hold onto just above the license plate (where the little lights are) and press down and lift up and hear a bit of knocking which has me thinking that there's some looseness between the hatch 'clamp' and 'pin'. I was wondering if there was a way to maybe stop this. I was thinking of maybe beefing up the rubber bumpers on the hatch so when I would close it, there could be no movement or somehow thicken up the latch pin.

Thanks a lot for reading this and giving feedback in advance. I'm one of those people that hates little noises (not that I hear anything anyway since I play music so loud but still, drives me crazy!!).
Hell my 2007 does the weird CLUNK on heavy pothole type bumps.

Or are we talking, very slight road bumpage.
Django is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Focus Addict
 
ChrisRobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46204
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

Posts: 1,012
Points 6,936, Level 54
Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Hell my 2007 does the weird CLUNK on heavy pothole type bumps.

Or are we talking, very slight road bumpage.
Yeah, slight bumps in the road...
ChrisRobin is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
Focus Addict
 
ChrisRobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46204
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

Posts: 1,012
Points 6,936, Level 54
Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Hell my 2007 does the weird CLUNK on heavy pothole type bumps.

Or are we talking, very slight road bumpage.
Ahh, good call! I'll go buy some cleaner and see what I can do.

Do you know what it's from though exactly?
ChrisRobin is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Focus Addict
 
Django's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45216
Location: Topeka
What I Drive: 2007 Zx3 SES, SAP, Black

Posts: 1,027
FF Reputation: 17 Django Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRobin View Post
Ahh, good call! I'll go buy some cleaner and see what I can do.

Do you know what it's from though exactly?
To be totally honest? No.

Worrys me everytime i hear it. >_>
Django is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Focus Addict
 
ChrisRobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 46204
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

Posts: 1,012
Points 6,936, Level 54
Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54 Points: 6,936, Level: 54
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeFocus00 View Post
Squeeking sound when I let go of the brake pedal... Your problem is your rotors. I had the same problem. I took apart my rotors and cleaned them up rreall nice and also replaced my brake shoes. Fixed the problem right on up
Does it have something to do with the pads squeezing the rotor and the rotor shifting a little?
ChrisRobin is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Fan#: 49155
Location: Bay Area
What I Drive: 2001 Black Focus LX

Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 1 Bat Girl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wow. I have the same brake problem. Whenever I take my foot off the brake pedal, I hear that incessant squeek (it kind of reminds of if Lisa Simpson was reincarnated as a brake pedal).

The brakes seem to work great though. Is it a safety issue?

ChrisRobin: Does it have something to do with the pads squeezing the rotor and the rotor shifting a little?

I'd like to get an answer to that too
Bat Girl is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Focus Fanatic
 
TerryB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34559
Location: Riverside, RI
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

Posts: 2,917
Points 5,331, Level 46
Points: 5,331, Level: 46 Points: 5,331, Level: 46 Points: 5,331, Level: 46
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The rubber bumpers on the hatch adjust. You twist them in or out. You can try a layer or two of electrical tape on the catch pin also. I did both and got rid of the noise.
TerryB is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.





Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1