Insurance Question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Should my insurance company pay for failures due to mods?
Hell yes! Thats what I pay them for. 5 10.42%
I take responsibility for anything "aftermarket" on my car and what might happen as a result. 29 60.42%
I would submit the claim, but really wouldn't expect them to cover it. AKA-What have I got to lose? 12 25.00%
Who the hell mods a Focus? (tongue in cheek fellas, relax) 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22983
FF Reputation: 1 2K1 6T8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Insurance Question

Let's assume you have a modification done that contributed directly to an engine failure.

Could be any number of things:

Remote oil filter failed and you lost all of your oil and your engine seized.

Aftermarket tempature gauge malfunctioned and as a result you didn't notice the car overheating, cracking the head.

Drove through a deep puddle in a car with an aftermarket CAI and your car hydrolocked.

Your (obviously aftermarket) supercharged Focus is pushing too much boost and you throw a rod through the side of your block.

What all of these things have in common is that an aftermarket addition to your vehicle caused your motor to fail. Is it reasonable to expect your insurance company to cover an engine failure claim that is directly attributable to something you have done to your car?

Just curious where you guys stand on this. I feel that you are taking things into your own hands when you choose to modify your car and therefore you need to pay the price when things go bad - and they often do. In other words, if you wanna PLAY, you gotta PAY.

Thoughts?

2004 Focus 2.3 PZEV 5 spd manual stripper - Beater
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 42095
What I Drive: 2007 black st

FF Reputation: 1 stfocus1710 Good Standing Member
your insurance wont cover it i had the same thing with a 5.0 mustang that i supercharged and blew the motor they wouldnt cover it but it is worth a try you never know
ST CREW #60
SEDAN REVOLUTION #10
Old 03-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
RespectMyAuthoritah!

Fan#: 5761
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Points 31,392, Level 100
Points: 31,392, Level: 100 Points: 31,392, Level: 100 Points: 31,392, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
It's NOT the insurance companies responsibility to fix something that you put on your car that's not factory. My brother-in-law works for State Farm and i asked him about this. BUT you can purchase a policy and pay extra for it to have the aftermarket parts covered.

BTW lets keep this civil. There was a similar thread that got locked because of immature posts

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
Old 03-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 22983
FF Reputation: 1 2K1 6T8 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildisco View Post

BTW lets keep this civil. There was a similar thread that got locked because of immature posts
I agree. And I don't think the posts were immature, it was the responses that were. In other words, some people didn't like to hear other people's opinions.

I really am interested in what the group thinks on this subject.

2004 Focus 2.3 PZEV 5 spd manual stripper - Beater
Old 03-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
If the aftermarket part causes the failure I'd say its your problem...however, just like dealers when you're trying to get warranty work done, insurance adjusters can and will blame something that has absolutely nothing to do with whatever fails; basically, if you have any aftermarket equipment installed on your car they'll point to that and blame whatever on it regardless of how ridiculous their claim may be. Like saying that your aftermarket intake made your transmission strip a gear, etc. Although, an insurance company may be more willing to pay for damage to your car caused by aftermarket equipment because they'll get it (and more) back out of you with a stiff rate hike that lasts as long as they want it to...so you might be able to get them to cover it up front, but you'll end up paying for it anyways.

And one other thing...looking at your poll, submitting a claim on the idea that "well it doesn't hurt...the worst they can do is say no" is a bad idea. They could turn down your claim and still raise your rates. It happened to my parents when their policy refused to pay for about $3500 in body work after my mom got t-boned in a parking lot (and it wasn't her fault.) Their premium increased by about $300/half even though their carrier paid nothing for repairs, and even went as far as to say that what happened didn't qualify as an accident (hence not being covered.) Yet then they increased the rate anyways and said it was because of the accident they were in. So basically...I don't trust the insurance companies any further than I can throw them. They can raise your rate at any time for any reason, no sense giving them an excuse to do so.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 12237
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda3 2.3/2003 VW Passat GLX

FF Reputation: 2 Carrera26 Good Standing Member
Mechanical failiure has nothing to do with your insurance anyway, unless the breakage of said equipment causes you to have an accident.
Don't waste another minute waiting on parts, or anything else. Just get out there and start racing! You will suck at first, and you will be slower than many other cars, but the only thing you will regret is not starting earlier...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

Points 10,126, Level 67
Points: 10,126, Level: 67 Points: 10,126, Level: 67 Points: 10,126, Level: 67
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I siezed an engine because of my own mistakes. I bite the bullet, learned my lesson, and built a more powerful engine with my own money.

Last edited by lildisco; 03-14-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34000
What I Drive: 2007 Reflex Silver VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 5 Sinan Good Standing Member
from insurance company viewpoint, NO. If I was the insurance company I wouldn't cover something that you did.

But from customer viewpoint, YES. I would want my whole car covered, parts or no parts. Because its still a car, and I paid for it, even if it has mods.
Team Duratec #57
Just like I am a lesbian trapped in a male body, my Focus is RS trapped in ZX3 body.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32830
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy HHR 2LT

FF Reputation: 15 karguy427 Great Standing Member
Carrera26 has it right.

I've been handling auto insurance claims for 28 years.

In all the examples you gave, not a single one would be covered under normal auto insurance comprehensive coverage. Mechanical (or electrical ) breakdown or malfunction would be specifically excluded from coverage. Also, in your some of your examples, you indicate that one part fails, causing a catastrophic failure of the whole engine. An insurance company would see this as just an overall failure of the engine.

As someone else indicated, if some kind of failure causes you to have an accident, the ACCIDENT damage would be covered, but not the CAUSE.

Example - Right front tire blows out, causing you to lose control and crash. Collision damage to car is covered. Blown tire would not be covered.

Read your insurance policy. Look for "What is not Covered" under the "Physical Damage to Your Car" section.

---------------
Marshall
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #10
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 13478
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver Euro SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 juice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You put a mod on, take respon. for it

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.