Might be saying goodbye to the Fofo soon - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Might be saying goodbye to the Fofo soon

Well, to be blunt, I'm gettin real fed up with this car right now. If you all recall, just last month my transmission blew up. Had to go through the hassle of driving all over the state, waiting for new parts, hoping it all would work right and all that, in the end spent around $2600 for everything and was in the shop for 3 weeks. Cool, now I can cruise again. Not quite. 2 weeks later a nice snow storm hits, I slide into a curb, bend some stuff....crap (I know thats not the cars fault but bare with me). So fast forward to wednesday of this week. Get the new control arm fixed.

Awesome! My car is back! Drive home, notice when I hit the gas, the pulls right but the wheel goes left slightly and also hear some nice thunking when I let off the gas or hit bumps. Awesome what's this now? Well I still don't know, guessing the tie rods are bent and we looked over it. Oh well, I'll fix them monday. So here I am today. Show up at work and happen to look down, my battery light is on? Oh great...maybe it's just low cause of the cold. So after work I go on the hunt for an AutoZone to replace this crappy duralast cause it has a 2 year warranty. Well after 25 miles and 6 Advance Auto's later, I find an AutoZone. Thier tester is broke....grrrrrr (extremely irritated from the drive and idiots in traffic). So I have to pull my battery in an ice covered parking to take inside. Battery is reading low so we put it on the charger till it was fully charged. Put it back in out in the freezing cold only to find my battery light came right back on!! They tested it and three of the people there all said theres a very good chance my alternator is going out...freakin spectacular! Now not only do I have to fix the tie rods my stupid self looked over, but now another stupid alternator. This alt and battery arent even 2 years old! What makes this even more of a pain is having to remove the supercharger to get to the alternator.

Now I know these are just a few problems recently but I'm kinda wondering when they will end? It's just been one thing after another. My car now has 89K miles on it and in that time I have replaced more than just your average up keep and maintence. I take great care of my car but I'm just getting fed up with this car. I hardly even enjoy driving it anymore cause there is always something I need to fix and also because of my finacial situation, I have little to no money and have had to borrow money left and right just to fix things. I'm kinda at my wits end with it and soon as I get it all fixed I'm going to discuss things with my family and possibly get rid of it. As much as I love it, I'm afraid I'll end up hating it if I keep it. Now don't get me wrong it's a great car once I get what needs fixed, fixed. But it just somehow has lost it's spark it had with me. I'm probably going to be taking it near as I can back to stock and putting it up for sale. The blower may or may not come off depending if the buyer wants it or not. I'll keep you posted but I just had to vent my frustration which still didn't begin to scratch the surface in this post.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 28659
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Blue02SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
That sucks to hear. G/L with whatever you decide to do. I'm also considering selling my car for some of the same stupid reasons. I know exactly how you feel.

Edit: My buddies battery light came on in his SVT and he didnt investigate it and 3 days later his alternator actually blew up.
SCT Xcal 2 tune
MSD Coil and Wires
CFM Throttle body
75 wet shot by Zex

SVT squad #104
Old 02-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Yea that sucks. I'm just worried that I won't be able to get rid of it from a financial stand point. Also, since it's pretty heavily modded, both inside and out, that it could hurt my chances of selling it unless the buyer liked all what I've done, not to mention a few cosmetic things. I guess time will tell what happens.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Old 02-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #4
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,831, Level 78
Points: 14,831, Level: 78 Points: 14,831, Level: 78 Points: 14,831, Level: 78
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
as far as the battery light, check the connector on the alt that has a couple of wires. heard the wires can break or come loose causing this.
one other thing is to loosen where the batt grounds to the tranny housing and clean it. the connections left exposed to the elements . the connection is also three dissimilar metals bolted together which will react to each other after awhile.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Focus Fanatic

Well, after charging the battery and heading to my buddies shop to fix it yesterday. It died and I was stranded on the side of the road, in the freezing cold waiting for a tow truck for literally over 5 hours. I may kill someone at AAA soon, I hate those people. Also doesn't help me feel any better about the car. This is the 7th time since I've had it that I've had to have it towed cause it broke or left me stranded.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
Banned

Fan#: 35439
What I Drive: SVT

FF Reputation: 8 Focus_3XZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Damn $2600 for a tranny? You can get used ones on ebay for 400-500 all the time.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Damn, talk about a long string of bad luck. And expensive bad luck too. I can understand if you don't trust owning another Focus anytime soon, if ever. Although at the same time I think this is just a case of having a combination of bad repair shop service and owning a lemon that might've lead you to this. It can happen to any car, really.

But I'd probably do the same thing if my car was burning up my wallet and leaving me stranded on the road like that. Why take chances, ya know? I can't blame you at all. Good luck in trying to find a solution that works for you.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_3XZ View Post
Damn $2600 for a tranny? You can get used ones on ebay for 400-500 all the time.
No the trans was $1200 for an 04 with 9K miles, $2600 was for install, new clutch and everything. Unfortunately, I'm kinda scarred to think the synchro's on it are bad or the linkage is bent or somethin. And yea, tell me about a string of bad luck, since x-mas. It's been one thing after another it seems. I'm hopin this string is over, I'd love to keep the car, but after all this. It seems to have lost some of it's charm to me. Not to say it's not an awesome car, but lately WRX wagons really have gotten my attention.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
I'd rather have an WRX wagon (my fav bodystyle of the WRXs!!!) with a little higher car payment than prob after prob.

I've got to go out and get a new battery tomorrow too. I went out yesterday morning after the son of a gun was completely dead. It didn't even have enough juice for me to unlock the doors with the fob.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.