How do you guys like your cars? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43900
FF Reputation: 1 2003GT Stang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How do you guys like your cars?

ok so first post....obviously by my name I own a 2003 Mustang...which I love and adore...but I've done quite a bit of work on it and where it absolutely SCREAMS in performance...it basically sucks my gas to death....highway 15mpg haha... and since I've been raised on them, I'm inclined to look at fords first.... Ive had two mustangs and my dad has a truck and had a bronco and old mustang

i'm looking for something with decent performance but good gas mileage....and definetly want to stay away from hondas.

at any rate how do you guys like your cars? reliable? what are you getting for MPG...what type of power are you making and how well does this car respond to mods?

i basically drive 50miles round trip to work everyday and want my stang as a weekend car.... but that doesnt mean i wont mod up a focus if i get one haha

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 244,429, Level 100
Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100 Points: 244,429, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Welcome!! I have a blown stang as well, and with gas prices today, it has become a weekend toy for nice weather. The Focus is a nice ride, the performance is acceptable. It will pull the mountains at 70 MPH and such. I get about 32 highway, and about 28 or so around town. Mine has 80k on it and works great.

And, just to throw it out there, you can mod a focus just like a stang, There are several ways to build a good quick car that still gets 25 MPG.

Have a look around, and again. Welcome to the site. Ask any questions you might have.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
LOVE my car. It handles on rails with the Koni kit. It's comfortable enough to be a daily driver and I also take it to the airfield once a month for autocross racing. It's an auto but it's still a lot of fun. And yes, if you start modding it you won't stop, so be careful. It's quite a potent little car if you put a few G's into it. If you're looking for speed pick up the manual, the auto is pretty weak and has its fair share of problems (mine just broke all of a sudden :( ).

As far as reliability goes, I have had two "major" problems. My alternator went out at around 40K and my shift solenoid A went out about a week ago at around 63K. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary. My MPG varies, usually around 27 but keep in mind that's an auto and I beat the living heck out of her. I think you'd like it. It's completely opposite from the Mustang so it would certainly mix things up a bit and keep all your drives interesting changing between the two like that.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 02-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 43900
FF Reputation: 1 2003GT Stang Good Standing Member
yeah i'm sure its going to be totally different than my stang haha. I have a built VT forged 4.6L stroked to 5.1 with a Keene Bell 2.1L running 12psi.....the only cars i've run into faster than me are built camaros and vettes.

a friend of mine is a big honda civic tuner and is around 220-240 with his 92DX with a b-18 and a ton of other stuff im not sure of...it would be fun to have a tuner-type car to go neck and neck against him...and still get good mileage. My stang at WOT leaves me pinned in my seat until I shift haha...maybe i'll get a turbo or nitrous kit of some kind if i wind up with a focus.

like i said i'm a ford guy and i dont know much about these cars but like them from what i've been reading. Its basically a toss-up between a new focus or a new fusion...and the fusion seems to have overall less potential than the focus....

we'll see...im going to a dealer next monday to chat....
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #5
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Turbo is a good way to go. We have a famous East Coast Focus tuner on this site, Turbo Tom, he'll hook you up with a tune for a turbo application. But make sure you find a manual if you decide to do it. Are you looking for new or used? If you're getting a new one, Focus Sport has a pretty good turbo kit for the Duratec engines. Just check out the forums, look around a little bit, and you can see the variety of crap you can do to this car. It's pretty cool.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
OMGVTAK!

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '13 Taffeta White Civic Si Sedan

Points 190,364, Level 100
Points: 190,364, Level: 100 Points: 190,364, Level: 100 Points: 190,364, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing Member Chick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
I don't like my car.

I LOVE it

If you have a theme idea for Ride of the Month or any other suggestions, please feel free to PM me!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 26,907, Level 97
Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97 Points: 26,907, Level: 97
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
get a focus with a 2.3L duratec in it, the best way you can go, they are the best engines, both performance wise and effiency/gas milage.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Fan#: 871
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver ZX3, 2.3L Duratec w/

FF Reputation: 8 zekester Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Welcome to the wonderful world of the "Focus". I really, really enjoy my car. Both my wife & I drive a Focus. Like DrkKnight614 stated, if you serious about getting one, try to find an '03-'04 ZX3 w/ the 2.3 Duratec.

I also live in CT, (northwest corner), and depending on where you live, if you wish, you can take ride/drive in my car to get a feel for the Focus. Thats if you let me take the 'Stang for a cruise..........just kidding. Shoot me a pm if your are interested...
Old 02-13-2007, 06:03 AM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 38163
Points 2,104, Level 27
Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27 Points: 2,104, Level: 27
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 QQQQ Good Standing Member
Buy a good used SVT Focus and put a turbo on it.You will own a car that is fast,dependable,economical and will always be worth more than any other Focus.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The SVT has great potential for tuning. 03orangeSVT here on this forum is pushing 340+ WHP with a turbo. That should be enough to put him at least near to your stang.

They're also really nice cars. you'll find the interior is more welcoming and the legroom is more comfortable. They love the twisties too...perhaps more than anything else.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.