Next Gen Subaru WRX STI does what Ford should have done - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > General Car Chat Lounge

General Car Chat Lounge Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19123
What I Drive: BMW 335i Coupe, 79 CJ-7

FF Reputation: 26 2004SVTAutoXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Next Gen Subaru WRX STI does what Ford should have done

Finally, our turbo AWD super hatch is here, and it's lines look very similar to my 5door SVTF. I am SO glad that I work for Subaru :D

Unveiled: Impreza's shock new look
We can exclusively expose the fresh look of Subaru's next-generation Impreza

These images reveal the forthcoming Impreza, two months before the car makes its official world debut at the New York Motor Show in April.

As our images reveal, the changes are significant, and the styling sees an unparalleled reinvention of the firm's most important model. Perhaps most striking is the fact that the UK version of the Impreza is no longer a saloon. British drivers will be offered only a five-door hatchback when the new car arrives in showrooms in October.

Gone, too, is the unpopular aeroplane motif that debuted on the front of the new Tribeca. Originally inspired by Subaru's aviation heritage, the look also appeared on the last-generation Impreza, as well as the controversial B5 concept.

Now, Auto Express can tell fans of the brand to expect far more toned-down styling, centred around a wide, narrow grille and upward-slanting headlights which owe their shape to the current model's design.

To broaden the newcomer's appeal, the stylists also chose to keep things simple when it came to penning the rest of the bodywork. As a result, the Impreza's clean lines focus more on performance and packaging.

At the same time, engineers have worked to keep prices down. The aim is for costs to fall in line with models such as the VW Golf, which Subaru identified as a key rival for the newcomer during road tests in the US.

All this means the next Impreza will be a very different size than at present. The five-door will be around 130mm shorter than the current sal*oon, and 50mm wider. To improve headroom in the rear, the car will be a fraction taller, while the kerbweight stays at around 1,400kg.

Yet while it's all change for the styling and dimensions, under the bonnet the maker plans to carry over much of the existing engine line-up. As a result, the base Impreza will be powered by a naturally aspirated 1.5-litre boxer delivering 115bhp.

The top-spec STi is to feature a reworked version of the current 2.0-litre turbocharged flat-four. This offers 300bhp and 431Nm of torque. A new 2.5-litre motor is also under development, although it's likely to debut in the US before heading to the UK.

The bad news, however, is that Subaru is not expected to launch a diesel variant until 2009. Its engine, tipped to be a 2.2-litre flat-four, is the culmination of more than 25 years of development, which has involved Toy*ota. The new oil-burner will employ a particulate filter to reduce emissions, and is expected to return CO2 figures of less than 140g/km.

Exact performance details are not yet available, but Subaru is thought to have set a target of 150bhp for the unit, with a further development offer-ing nearly 180bhp in 2010.

Both petrol and diesel variants will come with a choice of five-speed manual or six-ratio automatic transmissions. Meanwhile, the STi will be equipped with an upgraded six-speed manual. Instead of adding to the top-of-the-range car's already explosive power output, company engineers are concentrating more on beefing up the low to mid-range torque.

We can also expect some major tweaks to the already superb 4WD system, in addition to revisions of the Driver's Control Centre Diff (DCCD). Our source revealed to us that a new rear multi-link suspension set-up will also be employed on the Impreza - a strategic upgrade which will improve handling, stability and ride quality.

With both the STi and Mitsu*bishi's fresh Lancer Evo expected to arrive in showrooms in early 2008, the stage is set for a new battle royale, Japanese-style: blindingly quick four-cylinder turbos with 4WD traction for a little over 20,000. More pictures of the Impreza are expected as the New York expo approaches.

SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
Points 11,708, Level 71
Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71 Points: 11,708, Level: 71
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I like the overall design of the car...but not the wing. I know its supposed to be a trademark of the STi, but that's just plain ridiculous. There's no way it can be doing anything back there in the wind shadow being created by the car itself.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

yeah, but the STI limited is wingless :)

or you can just ask the dealership to swap lids with a WRX/base Impreza. Here's a prototype pic captured @ subie HQ
SVT Squad #133 - Traded for 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited in Quartz Silver Metallic - Traded for 2008 BMW 335i Coupe with stock twin turbo Juiceboxed 500whp and 500wtq of N54 goodness.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
all grown up

Fan#: 29834
What I Drive: 2006 Toyota tacoma work truck

Points 11,191, Level 69
Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69 Points: 11,191, Level: 69
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 turbovation Good Standing Member
oh...BONER
Old 02-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39546
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blew ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 focuspwr Good Standing Member
lol yeah right the only changes ford are goin to make is to the mustang and crap on the focus!!!
i think ford doesnt want to have a smaller more compact car out running its pride n joy right off the showroom floor which is why i think they didnt want to offer trims with more power.

that stI is off the walls with it!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
4.0 makes it go

Fan#: 32321
What I Drive: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

FF Reputation: 9 dazada Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Two words.

IN

CREDIBLE.

Rock on.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by focuspwr View Post
lol yeah right the only changes ford are goin to make is to the mustang and crap on the focus!!!
i think ford doesnt want to have a smaller more compact car out running its pride n joy right off the showroom floor which is why i think they didnt want to offer trims with more power.

that stI is off the walls with it!!!
that's why i said 'should' have done :)
Old 02-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43089
What I Drive: '07, Titanium Grey, MKII Zetec 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 aus.spec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
SHOCK: It's not ugly! I'm sure before it hits production they'll do something stupid to it, like give it 4 nostrils, or headlights in the wing mirrors, who knows. Looks quite decent at the moment, I agree with the pointless wing comment.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Focus Fanatic

if you look closely, the wing is shoddily photoshopped on from the current model line. obviously not a serious part of the renditions. here's some work that subie fans did.
3 door and 5 door hatches without gaudy wing :D

Old 02-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43089
What I Drive: '07, Titanium Grey, MKII Zetec 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 aus.spec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's more like it, that black/grey is awesome.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.